Windows 10: Anyone tried installing to SD card

Discus and support Anyone tried installing to SD card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just bought an SD card adaptor which is a cheaper option than SSD and plan to try to install windows to an SD card, anyone experimented with this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by banger, Mar 31, 2016.

1. banger Win User

Anyone tried installing to SD card

I just bought an SD card adaptor which is a cheaper option than SSD and plan to try to install windows to an SD card, anyone experimented with this? Wonder what speed will be like?

:)

banger, Mar 31, 2016
  2. [Dunde] Win User
    [Dunde], Mar 31, 2016
  3. Has anyone TRIED using a 128GB SD card in a Lumia 520

This is not possible to put a 128 gb sd card in lumia 520 because it is not support more then 64 Gb...

djsubha007, Mar 31, 2016
  4. Anyone tried installing to SD card

The official Windows to Go utility will not install to removable media. I haven't bothered with any of the work around do it your self methods. My Raspberry Pi boots from and runs its OS from a uSD card just fine. The faster the card is the better. My SanDisk Ultra class 10 blows away my low speed basic Kingston uSD card. The difference is easily noticeable.

alphanumeric, Mar 31, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    I've seen guys trim an external hard drive to fit a sata cable, but that's a drive, not a card. I doubt it.

Edwin, Mar 31, 2016
  6. Windows itself, won't install to removable media either. Plus, your PC would have to support booting from your card reader. My laptop will not boot from its SD card slot.

alphanumeric, Mar 31, 2016
  7. banger Win User
    The adaptor is IDE/PATA to SD card which people seem to be missing.

banger, Mar 31, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

Perhaps cuz you didn't mention that in detail.
    Give it a shot, let us know if it works.

Edwin, Apr 1, 2016
  9. *Ditto To the "you didn't mention that part".

alphanumeric, Apr 1, 2016
  10. banger Win User
    Sorry must have been in the Reflect thread its been a long day haha. Question is will it boot xp I doubt 10 will run on my laptop

banger, Apr 1, 2016
  11. LMiller7 Win User
    Performance will depend on the exact SD card used. Only the best will have performance approaching that of an SSD. Also it seems that wear leveling is not part of the SD specs. The better ones will have it but the cheaper ones probably not.

LMiller7, Apr 1, 2016
  12. I'm running 10 on my old in the tooth desktop PC's no problem. YMMV though.

13. Edwin New Member

I'm not even sure if an SD Card will allow the necessary partitioning to install Windows! I kinda doubt it.

Edwin, Apr 1, 2016
  14. banger Win User
    This laptop has 100mb of ram (upgrade to 160 soon) and a AMD K6-III processor from 1998 and just about runs xp haha.

banger, Apr 1, 2016
  15. *Shock Windows 3.11 maybe? *Tongue

Thema:

1. Anyone tried installing to SD card - Similar Threads - Anyone tried installing

2. Sd card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sd card: When I download somthing on my sd card it downloads but when I try to extract it says please insert last disk Multi Voulme set and click ok to continue that keeps poping up when I press ok But I when I look into 7-zip App some files are missing even when I use any app I...
  3. Sd card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sd card: When I download somthing on my sd card it downloads but when I try to extract it says please insert last disk Multi Voulme set and click ok to continue that keeps poping up when I press ok But I when I look into 7-zip App some files are missing even when I use any app I...
  4. Sd card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sd card: my windows 10 is not reading my verbatim micro sd adapter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card/2e69c34c-15aa-4e16-99e9-d13afc29ab45
  5. SD card

SD card: I have recently had my Acer laptop serviced and the tech talked me into installing windows 10 and I hate it . can someone pleas tell me how I can view the contents of an SD card ? On windows 7 I used to go to my drive menu and just select it from there. thx...
  6. trying to format a micro sd card

trying to format a micro sd card: already downloaded photos to laptop. want to use 8gb sd card for new device,( garmin gps ) only have sd card adapter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-format-a-micro-sd-card/69b5367c-be43-439c-bc2d-ce5ccd06846b
  7. SD card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD card: How do I change the settings for what I do when I insert a SD card on my Windows 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card/75d8c53e-488f-49e9-b1ac-cbf995b30e5e"
  8. SD card

SD card: Windows 10 does not detect my SD card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/sd-card/cecf9cf6-ad80-43c5-8b57-3c0b84d4305f
  9. SD Card

SD Card: When I insert the SD card into my computer it is not bring recognized. What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/sd-card/d62d2332-a102-4790-a460-1c908f2c9286
  10. Using an SD card to install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using an SD card to install?: Is it possible to use a SD card to make a boot drive instead of a USB flash drive? None of my flash drives have the space for this but the SD card does, I've used this drive to dual boot linux once, so using it like it was a USB drive should work right? All my attempts do...