Windows 10: Anyway to force control panel on video windows playing commercial adds

Discus and support Anyway to force control panel on video windows playing commercial adds in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Watching news videos on windows 10 PC, I notice that when commercial add videos come on, as they do periodically throughout those videos, there are no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hput3, Feb 16, 2018.

1. hput3 Win User

Anyway to force control panel on video windows playing commercial adds

Watching news videos on windows 10 PC, I notice that when commercial add videos come on, as they do periodically throughout those videos, there are no controls for the video window. That is, you cannot control the sound or the move the cursor as you can in the rest of the session,

So somehow, the commercial adds are invulnerable to any changes by user.

Is there away to force controls on the video window, or other ways to skip thru or skip entirely those nasty invasive adds?

:)

hput3, Feb 16, 2018
  2. Kaonic Win User

Windows 10 Modern Setup Host

It seems like every update forced down from microsoft adds some kind of new “feature” that serves only to clutter up the processes.

Simply ending this program from your task manager seems to free up the usage.

And... Microsoft? Seriously? Stop trying to force us all into your commercial scheme. We’re getting tired of it. At the very least add a REAL feature and give us the option to opt out of it. I love windows. Have used it my whole life, and it seems callous
    to continue this line of operation. Anyway....

Kaonic, Feb 16, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Laptop Render has N/a on current display mode and monitor

Hi kitetan11, this is a hybrid system - not a discrete video system. All video data passes through the Intel GPU on its way to the display panel, so the Intel GPU will ALWAYS show active.

The nVidia Control Panel should have an Optimus Setting.

nVidia Optimus is a technology that uses the on-board graphics when your system does not pull high GPU and only uses the nVidia card when you are playing games, video editing . . . etc.

Turn off Optimus and restart your system. This will force your system to only use the nVidia Card. Then open the DirectX control panel and see if it is reading your system correctly . . .

DaveM121, Feb 16, 2018
  4. Anyway to force control panel on video windows playing commercial adds

What program are you using to watch video (e.g. Internet browser, program or some App)?

Note:
    Forum Rules say that members aren't allowed to discuss Ad Blocking. *Sad

lehnerus2000, Feb 17, 2018
  5. hput3 Win User
    Browsers (chrome usually)
    So its the player that browers use... In all but the commercials the expected controls, are present,
    pause, volume, playline cursor, stop, full-screen etc.

But when one of the ads come on those controls disappear. (In most ads; Sometimes the player will still contain a volume control but no others. But most often there are no controls at all).

I'm not really interested in blocking ... and I understand the role of ads, not only in this forum but in these videos... after all they are free. But someone is doing the work of making them available. And I would guess they get paid to do so.

But, like when watching TV, it should be left up to the user what they do during the adds. It seems a bit too much for advertisers to be able to remove all user controls during the commercials.

You can't even turn down the volume short of using the PC controls which requires finding the volume control, turning it down and try not to miss too much of the show when you quickly turn it back up once the commercial is over.

And apparently the laws that say the commercials are not supposed to jack up the volume when watching tv do not apply to TV recorded for display on PCs... because some of the ads being inserted are actually really really loud. If you happen to be listening with earbuds, you will regret it and will soon learn to snatch then out the moment any ads come up.... since there will be no way to control volume from the player.

By the way, I'm not talking about adds that aired when the show was aired for tv. Those have been removed or whatever. The adds I'm speaking of are inserted for the video prepared for showing on PC.

To see some examples you could go to `msnbc' and watch some of the free videos they show for PC use.

hput3, Feb 17, 2018
  6. Edwin New Member
    Mute the tab?

Anyway to force control panel on video windows playing commercial adds [​IMG]

Edwin, Feb 17, 2018
  7. hput3 Win User
    Haaa... well doggone, slap an `intelligence challenged' sticker on my forehead. I've never noticed that kindly little volume icon, and If I had I probably still would not have thought to try clicking on it.

Thank you sir, that is big jump foreward

hput3, Feb 17, 2018
  8. Anyway to force control panel on video windows playing commercial adds

The problem is that video players on websites can be built (by default) without controls.

In HTML5, "controls" are an "Optional Attribute" for the "video" tag.
    HTML video Tag

When you are playing a video, right click on it and check out the options that are available.
    Chrome, Firefox (and its forks) and Opera have useful options in the context menu.
    I don't know if Edge has the same options.

You can also use the Web Developer Tools (specifically the Inspector) to get the video to open in a new tab and then it will have controls.

lehnerus2000, Feb 18, 2018
  9. Callender Win User
    Apologies - using Vivaldi (Chrome based) but not Chrome. I get the same issue but video controls can be restored by allowing pop ups in per site settings:

So I click on the button to the left of the address bar to get per site settings and change pop up option to allow (only for that site)

In Chrome:

Note Change settings for a specific site

You can allow or block permissions for a specific site. The site will use its settings instead of the default settings.

• On your computer, open Chrome .
    • Go to a website.
    • To the left of the web address, click the icon you see: Lock
      , Info
      , or Dangerous
    • Click Site settings.
    • Change a permission setting. Your changes will automatically save.

Change site permissions - Computer - Google Chrome Help

Callender, Feb 18, 2018
  10. Edwin New Member
    *Thumbs

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Anyway to force control panel on video windows playing commercial adds

1. Anyway to force control panel on video windows playing commercial adds - Similar Threads - Anyway force control

2. Anyway to get the old control panel back?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyway to get the old control panel back?: I've been wanting the old control panel back in Windows 10 and I'm wondering if anyone knows how? And it doesn't have to but I would like the old windows update back in it also. All help appreciated. My WVN is Version 2004 (OS Build 20161.1000) 159898
  3. Control panel 'Add Devices' flashes then disappears

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Control panel 'Add Devices' flashes then disappears: When I click on Add Devices or Advanced Printer Setup, the window briefly flashes before disappearing. I can't access the options at all. As well as this, Bluetooth devices are not appearing in the Bluetooth settings, or in control panel. The bluetooth drivers are under...
  4. Is there anyway to restore classic control panel?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there anyway to restore classic control panel?: Is there anyway to restore classic control and disable settings apps, I know you can still open classic personalization menu but I also want all the other settings who were moved into windows settings app. 123275
  5. commercials playing

in Windows 10 Customization
    commercials playing: I have commercials playing when I don't have Google or firefox running they just start on there own https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/commercials-playing/f34d33e1-4ccb-442c-a366-ddaba8f15211
  6. Update forcing proxies & Control Panel Crashing

in Browsers and Email
    Update forcing proxies & Control Panel Crashing: Hi If you are having these issues see below for the resolution steps I took! I had some issues yesterday and seems to be related to a windows update I got. Most were minor but the below were a headache. The first relates to the control panel. When I click CP is...
  7. Add Windows Update to Control Panel Manually

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Add Windows Update to Control Panel Manually: I figured out how to put Windows update in control panel without any secondary software. I used Brink's Add Group Policy to Control panel registry hack in the sevenforums.com as a template. I modified to look like this. Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...
  8. Add Windows Update to Control Panel in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Windows Update to Control Panel in Windows 10: How to: Add Windows Update to Control Panel in Windows 10 How to Add Windows Update to Control Panel in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft....
  9. Add Personalization to Control Panel in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Personalization to Control Panel in Windows 10: How to: Add Personalization to Control Panel in Windows 10 How to Add Personalization to Control Panel in Windows 10 [img] Information Personalization includes your account's System Icons. Personalization has been removed from the Settings instead. This tutorial...
  10. Add Control Panel to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Control Panel to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Control Panel to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Control Panel context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, there are a few different ways to find and change your settings: app settings, and search. Most of the settings that...