Windows 10: AOEMI disk clone versus system clone, all of the c:\ drive is copied?

Discus and support AOEMI disk clone versus system clone, all of the c:\ drive is copied? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Looking to make a bootable backup of win10. Does Aoemi system clone copy all of the c: drive? I only have the c: drive, there is no d:\ drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sdowney717, Nov 7, 2017.

1. AOEMI disk clone versus system clone, all of the c:\ drive is copied?

sdowney717, Nov 7, 2017
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Replacing an existing Hard Disk by cloning

I've never used EaseUS, but AOEMI Partition Assistant works well for cloning Windows.

With AOEMI you clone only the C:\ drive, not the whole HDD/SSD.

Other partitions can be done via the backup option, or you can create new partitions later

via Windows Disk Manager and copy data directly to the partition.

I have never tried using a external drive via USB though (I have an e-SATA dock on my case, which is the same as connecting to a SATA port on the motherboard).

Using a USB may cause issues with the MBR not being written to the cloned OS drive, but this should not

be an issue if cloning back to the original HDD as the MBR on the original HDD should still be viable.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

Note that when doing a cloning operation you start with unallocated space on the HDD you want

to clone to, not a partitioned space.

BossDweeb, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Drive letter for D, E, Y and Z are incorrect and I can't change them.

This all started with 10 needing more space than Microsoft stated. I cloned the original drive and adjusted the space accordingly.

-> There is no need to resort to cloning when adjusting partition sizes. Free tools such as AOEMI will do it on the fly.

I can access Control Panel but I can't access any Command Prompts, Regedit or Device Manager even though C:\ is the Windows drive. I get a message that "Windows cannot find C:\Windows\System32\diskmgmt.msc
    when I try to access Disk Management.

-> To me this suggests that the cloning process is flawed.

I've tried changing the drive letters from the Command Prompt using 10's install disk and Advanced under repairs.

-> Drive letter assignments are held in the registry. To change them while in Repair Mode you would need to modify the off-line System hive (which is not quite trivial).

You probably need to restore the original system, then resize your partitions with a tool of known quality.

Frederik Long, Nov 7, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

AOEMI disk clone versus system clone, all of the c:\ drive is copied?

With AOMEI or any other backup / restore / cloning program, if you clone source HD onto target HD, the target HD normally should boot up fine. Sometimes a disk manager must be used to Mark As Active the target HD's partition containing Windows. Do not have both HDs connected at the same time during normal non-backup operations -- ransom-ware can strike both HDs. If/when you ever need to fix a boot and load problem, do not have both HDs connected, more problems might occur.

RolandJS, Nov 7, 2017
  5. you did not answer specifically, will system clone backup the c: drive

mute issue as the free version only does the entire drive clone which is ok

sdowney717, Nov 7, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    I don't know the answer, I have to learn exactly what a AOMEI system clone is and exactly how it is done. I'll listen in and learn alongside you from those who have used AOMEI's System Clone operation.

RolandJS, Nov 7, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    System clone will clone all files on C drive and required hidden partitions. Drive clone will clone all files on all partitions.

IIRC, free version only has clone all partitions.

I use minitool partition wizard free, as it can do partial cloning directly - you have to manually select partitions though.

Even the great Macrium Reflect does not allow partial cloning directly, but does allow you to do it via image backups.

If you just want to backup OS and not data on C drive, simply create a usb recovery drive or dvd from Windows.

cereberus, Nov 8, 2017
  8. topgundcp Win User

Not True. Sure it does.

topgundcp, Nov 8, 2017
  9. Dlambert Win User
    Clone and Backup are different operating tasks.
    To clone system with AOMEI Backupper, you'll clone entire C drive as well as required hidden partitions (system reserved partition for example) to target disk, so that successful boot ensured.
    To backup C drive with AOMEI Backupper, you will create a system image of C drive as well as required partitions to the destination place. But you have to restore the system image before you can use it.
    In your situation, if you have only C drive on that hard drive, there is not much difference between Disk Clone and System Clone. That is, the free version Standard is able to do system migration.
    Regards.

Dlambert, Nov 8, 2017
  10. It did succesfully clone win10 and it booted also. However it added several partitions which were empty. 100mb in front of win10, a 60gb and a 500mb or something raw partition behind it. I deleted the ones behind win10, and win10 expanded into the space

sdowney717, Nov 8, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    To which statement does this apply - regrettably I am not a mind reader *Biggrin.

cereberus, Nov 8, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    The statement that was highlighted in RED in your post that the reply quoted. Macrium Reflect Free will do partial drive cloning. You just have to drag and drop the partitions you want cloned.

NavyLCDR, Nov 8, 2017
  13. topgundcp Win User

@NavyLCDR
    Well, not quite ....
    Using drag & Drop. You actually perform "COPYING" which the partition(s) will end up one after another on destination disk. in the screen shot, partition 3 ended up next to partition 1.

CLONING : Everything ended up the same place as the source disk.

AOEMI disk clone versus system clone, all of the c:\ drive is copied? [​IMG]

AOEMI disk clone versus system clone, all of the c:\ drive is copied? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. AOEMI disk clone versus system clone, all of the c:\ drive is copied? - Similar Threads - AOEMI disk clone

2. Copying the system partition without cloning as such?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Copying the system partition without cloning as such?: I need to replace the SSD with the Windows partition on it because it is dying. The problem is that when I try to make a copy of the system, the image fails an integrity check, presumably because the SSD hardware itself is a bit messed up. I've tried using both AOMEI...
  3. Disk cloning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cloning: I have an SSD128gb drive that is almost full and ordered 1tb SDD. I also have a 2nd HDD 1tb drive in the pc and although I haven't used Disk Cloning I am attempting to clone the 128gb SSD onto the HDDin pc and when I receive the new 1tb SDD I am thinking to clone from the...
  4. Cloning C Drive

Cloning C Drive: I have a desktop computer running Win 10 and I want to copy/clone the C drive to an SSD for faster access. I intend using EaseUS Disk Copy, but I have what I consider to be a problem. My C and D (for Data) drives are partitions on one 500GB HDD, which is Drive 0. I also have...
  5. Cloning Drive C:/

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning Drive C:/: I bought a new hard drive so I could clone my main hard drive. The new drive was formatted after putting into an external hard drive bay connected using USB cable. I right clicked on my C:/ drive & chose copy. I then right clicked on my new hard drive F:/ and chose paste. It...
  6. Backwards cloning of system disk?

Backwards cloning of system disk?: Hello All, I installed an SSD on my wife's laptop and did a clean install of Windows 10 ver. 1809 on the SSD. I see now that free software exists to clone an HDD to an SSD (MiniTool Partition Wizard Free). HP has made it rough to get to the hard drive and I do not fancy...
  7. Disk cloning

Disk cloning: How to transfer information from Computer 1 to Computer 2? My understanding how to do this is outlined as follows but I am not entirely sure this process would work. Existing Computer 1: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit; have USB flash drive 1 with Windows 10 installation media...
  8. cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions

cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions: I seek clarification for three groups of questions I have about cloning my C: Drive to SSD 1) On my C: HDD (Windows 10) there was still a 60 GB Recovery Partition with the original W8. I have deleted this and extended the main partition with the 60 GB (I did this mainly...
  9. cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions

in Windows 10 Support
    cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions: I seek clarification for three groups of questions I have about cloning my C: Drive to SSD 1) On my C: HDD (Windows 10) there was still a 60 GB Recovery Partition with the original W8. I have deleted this and extended the main partition with the 60 GB (I did this mainly...
  10. System Disk Image/Clone

System Disk Image/Clone: There's been some discussion on this in another thread & having previously not been too successful in the past, I'd like to seek some advice. When a disk is cloned it makes an identical copy to another HD; the idea being that if the one in use fails, then the cloned HD can...