Windows 10: App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account.

Discus and support App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; [img] [img] I was getting UAC shields appearing on some of the icons. I found the solution how to get rid of them by going to the "Local Security... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Lazarus23, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Lazarus23 Win User

App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account.

App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account. [​IMG]

I was getting UAC shields appearing on some of the icons. I found the solution how to get rid of them by going to the "Local Security Policy" > Local Policies > Security Options and disabling:
    User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode
    User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account

And of course I ran into the bigger issue. I can't open any windows related app. This is what is says (see above). If I re-enable the policy, the programs work again, but the shields appear again. I really don't want them and they bother me and as far as I have researched this is the only solution I found that is working.
    Now back to the blue message. I have tried creating a new user and giving it admin rights. Still got the blue message. Then I tried disabling the built-in administrator with this method here. Restarted PC, still the same result.
    I really ran out of options. Can somebody smarter than me please help me resolve this problem.
    I'm running Windows 10 Pro.
    My Local Security Policy list here

P.S. I did not upgrage to Windows 10 from earlier versions, I built PC from scratch and booted from usb.

Follow up!
    People have suggested me to reinstall windows/do a clean install. So I did create a new bootable usb with completely different build and got the same result.

I think that this is a huge flaw with windows 10 and I'm really looking forward to solving this issue. Smartest people here please help me!
    Also note that I'm not using Built-in administrator account. I'm local Administrator.

:)

Lazarus23, Jul 25, 2016
  2. Lolololll Win User

App cannot be opened using the Built-In Administrator account and account settings make Settings close unexpectedly

So I clicked Add someone else to this PC but I was greeted by this window, which ITs could understand.

But I will see if there are problems like this on other users.

Lolololll, Jul 25, 2016
  3. Lolololll Win User
    App cannot be opened using the Built-In Administrator account and account settings make Settings close unexpectedly

Hi!

I've been having this problem for a while now. I downloaded Windows 10 so I can install some apps that can be played, phone or laptop. I downloaded it on the official website, has a genuine product key and has a digital license. This ONLY occurred after
    the download. The built-in administrator account before I upgraded has all-access to every app. And then when I upgraded, things start to feel a little bit uncomfortable. I have kept all my files in Windows 7. Got a problem in opening pics using Photos (I
    solved it by using Windows Photo Viewer, which luckily is still there) and then I can't open Store, Sticky Notes, Calculator, Paint 3D, Store and etc. (Cortana, Settings, Snipping Tool and downloaded programs (such as Chrome, Firefox, Dota and League) opens,
    it works fine) So I decided to add another administrator account for some reason, but clicking Account made Settings close unexpectedly, it was the only one that crashes (meaning System, Devices, Personalization and others work well). Been struggling with
    it and tested with other accounts (the other one was with a Microsoft account linked to it) and everything is really fine, but not with the Administrator account. Some also has this issue, I tried the ways they did in order to solve it, but nothing worked.

Thanks in advance for upcoming replies.

*EDIT* Never solved it, but I successfully added another administrator on lusrmgr.msc even its hard to program at first. As for now, I am not using the built in administrator account. Thank you!

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Lolololll, Jul 25, 2016
  4. AndreyT Win User

So, are you trying this under the built-in Administrator account or not?

If you are actually running under the built-in Administrator, then you are not supposed to be able to use universal apps. You are supposed to get this error message instead. That's just by design.

P.S. By some strange twist of fate/luck, upgraded Windows 10 installations are usually exempt from this restriction. But clean installs always prevent you from running universal apps from under built-in Administrator.

AndreyT, Jul 25, 2016
  5. Lazarus23 Win User
    Yes, I'm running with built-in administrator. Please tell me how do I get rid of it?

Lazarus23, Jul 25, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
  7. Lazarus23 Win User
    When I go to "your email and accounts" it says my name and Local Account Administrator. Should I still create a new user?

Lazarus23, Jul 25, 2016
  8. Lazarus23 Win User

Created new user, made it admin, disabled "Run all administrators in admin approval mode" to get rid of shields, restarted PC And still get this blue screen and can't open apps...
    What a shame...

Lazarus23, Jul 25, 2016
  9. Lazarus23 Win User
    Maybe I did something wrong? Windows still thinks that I'm using built-in administrator. How exactly do I know that I'm using the built-in? How do I get rid of built-in? Please help, Windows 10 is driving me nuts...

Lazarus23, Jul 25, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
  11. Lazarus23 Win User
    Ok this is what I did.
    1. Created new user.
    2. Made it administrator
    3. Made old user standart
    4. Disabled built-in administrator (did all the options).
    5. Restarted PC.
    Still same b******t.

Lazarus23, Jul 25, 2016
  12. Kari Win User
    Please tell did you clean install Windows 10 or upgrade from Windows 7? Some Windows 7 users decided that they do not need stupid Microsoft to tell them what they can do and what not, and feeling like Masters of the Universe they enabled built-in admin account using it as their only user account. A stupid thing to do, of course.

These users will automatically get issues when upgrading to Windows 10; the upgrade process sees an existing user account not detecting it is the built-in admin, upgrading to 10. Because Windows 8 and later use MS accounts, too, the system has evolved and you simply cannot use built-in admin anymore as your daily, only user account.

If that's your case then my sincere advice and recommendation is to clean install Windows 10.

13. Lazarus23 Win User

I built PC from scratch and booted from Windows 10 USB. Clean instal. What not clean could I have done?

Lazarus23, Jul 25, 2016
  14. Kari Win User
    OK, that's good.

My previous post told the only possible scenario leading to situation where Windows 10 is directly after installation using built-in admin account as a normal user account without user specifically enabling it: Upgrade started from Windows 7 when signed in as built-in admin. That upgrade route only leads to issues. As your user account according what you have told is somehow built-in admin, I wanted to either confirm you did upgrade from Windows 7 using built-in admin, or completely exclude that option.

I see no other reasonable option than to start from scratch, clean install.

15. Lazarus23 Win User
    At least you try to understand my problem and help me, not like those stack exchange a******s who downvote everything *Biggrin

Lazarus23, Jul 25, 2016
Thema:

1. App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account. - Similar Threads - App can't opened

2. Edge can't open using built-in Admin account

in Browsers and Email
    Edge can't open using built-in Admin account: Hello, My office updated to Win 10 about three months ago. One of my co-workers has discovered that she can't boot Edge. I've tried these potential fixes, but still no go. Fix #1: 1. >Win/R & type “secpol.msc” (no quotes); browse to: >Local Policies, >Security...
  3. Built in administrator account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Built in administrator account: I've been using Windows 10 since the auto update from 8.1 Everything has worked since then, but then this happens. Randomly in the last days, if I click on any app, I get prompted "App cannot be opened using the built-in administrator account." I don't know where...
  4. The ...cannot be opened with built-in administrator account problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    The ...cannot be opened with built-in administrator account problem: I am trying to help my neighbor upgrade to windows 10 from 8 (we have downgraded once because of these problems, and if I can't get this solved soon, I will have to do it again). In 8 apparently, she was using the builtin admin account as her primary/only account, though...
  5. Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator: I only have one user account on my Windows 10x64 Pro machine and it has administrator privileges with UAC turned off and has been that way ever since it was installed. Now whenever I try to open Microsoft Edge I get a pop-up that says: "Microsoft Edge can't be opened using...
  6. Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account: I can't use any of the panes (calendar, weather, store, etc.) on Windows 10. I receive a message "this app can't open. Mail can't be opened using the built in administration account. How to resolve this issue quickly and reliably? 32598
  7. Can't open photos with built in administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open photos with built in administrator: Okay as it implies I can't open photos, I did have this problem before on my other computers. Whenever I try to add a new account it takes me to setttings and when I hit the button to add another account I get a black windows box for half second and nothing happens. Should I...
  8. Settings cant be opened using the Built-in Administrator account

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings cant be opened using the Built-in Administrator account: When we received the acer we open a new outlook.com account. Never used it for any thing else. We apparently used the wrong password to many times and MS locked us out of the acct. They will not let us back in. We have the password to log into the computer and I used another...
  9. Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account: I installed Windows 10 from Windows 7, and now I can't open Settings using my account (which is an administrator account). I apparently have to use a different account, but I don't have one, and with no access to Settings, I can't make another account. I tried booting into...
  10. "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account."

in Windows 10 Support
    "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account.": Hi all, Working on a Win10 touchscreen desktop for a friend who just got scammed by one those fake "call this number, your computer is infected" ads. She foolishly let somebody from Indian remote into her computer and install some fake "weather" software which just caused...