Windows 10: App defaults resetting

Discus and support App defaults resetting in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How can I lock my defaults and prohibit Windows 10 from resetting them? Why isn't there a simple checkbox to lock defaults?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by notsaying1, Aug 2, 2018.

1. App defaults resetting

How can I lock my defaults and prohibit Windows 10 from resetting them? Why isn't there a simple checkbox to lock defaults?

:)

notsaying1, Aug 2, 2018
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done *Smile I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Sep 27, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Default programs repeatedly reset to "MS" programs/apps

I had the same problem.
    Possible causes:
    1. Acrobat preference does not work and if you click on it, it will reset to Windows default acrobat reader with the message:

App defaults resetting [​IMG]
    2. If Windows has update for Acrobat reader App, it will reset it to default.

Just set it from Control Panel->Default Programs->Set Your default programs
    High lite Acrobat then click on: Set this program as default.

App defaults resetting [​IMG]

topgundcp, Sep 27, 2018
  4. App defaults resetting

Resetting Default App in Widows 10

Hi Peter,

Some of the possible reason why you're default apps reset every reboot is due to corrupted system files or third party software. We suggest that you set at least 2 or 3 default apps then perform a clean boot and check if the issue is occurring due to any
    third party programs. Click this
    link
    to view the steps on how to perform a clean boot.

Let us know if the suggestions help you in resolving the problem.

Regile Reb, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

App defaults resetting

1. App defaults resetting - Similar Threads - App defaults resetting

2. App default was reset

in Windows 10 Customization
    App default was reset: Windows is showing App default was reset again and again , even though no changes were done by me then also it is showing notification as App default was reset https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-default-was-reset/8235d04e-8ce2-4eaa-88d4-d5012b6c5d14
  3. An app default was reset

An app default was reset: A few days ago this message appeared in my notification. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .raw so it was reset to Photos Now start up and sign in are sometime slow/sluggish and sometimes before sign in i get a momentary...
  4. 1903 Update is Resetting App Defaults

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    1903 Update is Resetting App Defaults: Hello, I am getting a W10 Education V 1903 computer ready for imaging, but I'm running into an issue where new users who login have several notifications that their apps have been reset. I have tried setting the app defaults via a local xml file pushed that is enabled with a...
  5. Default Apps Keep Resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Apps Keep Resetting: Hi All This is driving me mental. I have the latest, updated, version of Windows 10 and am on a new i7 with 32GB RAM etc. I keep changing my default apps in Window 10 and they keep getting reset… here are some of the examples: .pdf from IE to Acrobat .html from IE to...
  6. "An App Default was Reset"

"An App Default was Reset": I would like to prevent Win10 from resetting my default apps for a given file extension. Either the chance to approve any changes to my default apps, such as we had in previous Windows versions, or to find the app reset "feature" and break it beyond repair disable it...
  7. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app

An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app: I did a clean install of Windows 10 and the first app I installed was Google Chrome, and I began experiencing this issue after every restart. I've installed other apps since then, all the latest versions and my default apps keep getting reset to the generic Windows options....
  8. Default app will be reset every time

Default app will be reset every time: Hello dear friends, I tried many way(safe mode, set default app by right click on each file,...) but unfortunately every time after restart windows default apps change to default unfortunately I can't restore windows to original one because of many app that installed! So...
  9. Default apps being reset by Windows

Default apps being reset by Windows: Has anyone else experienced default apps in windows 10 being automatically reset? It seems to dislike VLC and Irfanview and resets defaults to Microsoft apps. 41116
  10. 'An app default was reset' revisted

'An app default was reset' revisted: Today, again, I got several 'An App Default Was Reset' notifications again, after I went thru great length to stop MS from doing this, up and including a rather Draconian registry patch: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wi...-associations/ Without turning this into a...