Windows 10: App Switching Not Working - Selected App Does Not Come to Front

Discus and support App Switching Not Working - Selected App Does Not Come to Front in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The problem: I have an issue that occurs when I have multiple windows open; when I click the taskbar to switch program to something that is already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnshaia, Jan 29, 2017.

1. johnshaia Win User

App Switching Not Working - Selected App Does Not Come to Front

The problem: I have an issue that occurs when I have multiple windows open; when I click the taskbar to switch program to something that is already minimized or in the background, it will just disappear behind all other open windows. So for example, if I have Chrome open and want to go to a Word document (or anything either minimized or in the background) I would click on the program in taskbar, the app will flash up - but as soon as I click on the app, but then moves to the back behind other open apps. I then have to minimize all other apps to get to the app I want to use. I have tried uncheckingActivate Window by hovering over it with the mouse but it was already unchecked. I saw this thread

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

The issue was raised by mmdali and Christi in that thread, but I saw no resolution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

johnshaia, Jan 29, 2017
  2. EileenEng Win User

front camera lumia 900

The front face camera on my phone does not work as well (Nokia 1020).

When in any camera app (Microsoft or Nokia), I use the option to switch over to the front face camera. The screen will either remain black, or the app will close out all together, and go back to the start screen.

Sometimes I'm able to hear the "clicking" noise of the front face camera physically activating itself, but right afterwards, the app turns off.

If I force the app to close, and restart the camera app, it continues to remain in the front face camera mode - and has only a frozen black screen; I'm unable to switch out of the front face mode.

Turning the phone off/on and doing a soft reset does not work. Resetting the camera in the Settings menu does not work either.

Thanks,

Eileen

EileenEng, Jan 29, 2017
  3. Switching Tabs or windows

hi there,

the issue still is on and switching between windows still does not work. Even if I use alt tab the newly selected window still does not come front. Can you please guide me to solve this issue. it is really getting difficult to work on my laptp with this.

Regards

Rohan

RohanShetti, Jan 29, 2017
  4. Beowulf Win User

Have similar problem. It there are multiple windows open and I click on the exposed area of a window behind the active window it usually will not bring the window behind to the front - same issue if I select from the task bar. It's actually quite unpredictable. It sometimes work if I try to bring a Chrome window or Word to the front, but does not seem to work if I try to bring File explorer to the front. I have to minimize other windows to get to the one I want

I cannot find a solution to this problem. There is another thread with a "Method 1" and "Method 2" that appears to have worked for at least one person, but neither is viable for me.

at my wits end

Beowulf, Feb 10, 2017
  5. johnshaia Win User
    I am in the same boat Beowulf. The problem has been going on for almost a year, and I can't find any solution that has worked. Unfortunately, we are not getting many bites on the issue in this forum either. Have you tried re-imaging your computer? I would certainly like to avoid that painful process, but I am curious as to whether you have tried it. I have also tried multiple proposed solutions, but none have worked.

johnshaia, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. App Switching Not Working - Selected App Does Not Come to Front - Similar Threads - App Switching Working

2. Switch Accounts not working in Xbox App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch Accounts not working in Xbox App: I have done all the recommended steps I’ve found on the forums. When I open the Xbox app and press switch accounts, the tab flashes black a few times and then signs me directly back into the same account. Someone please help me. The account it’s signing into is the account my...
  3. Switch Accounts not working in Xbox App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch Accounts not working in Xbox App: I have done all the recommended steps I’ve found on the forums. When I open the Xbox app and press switch accounts, the tab flashes black a few times and then signs me directly back into the same account. Someone please help me. The account it’s signing into is the account my...
  4. Google apps not selectable for default apps

Google apps not selectable for default apps: Google chrome is installed, I tried go to settings, make default browser and I get nothing. Attached a screenshot of what I get. Also Gmail is not available for email. Permissions are allowed on the defender firewall. Thanks for any advice...
  5. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Google apps not selectable for default apps: Google chrome is installed, I tried go to settings, make default browser and I get nothing. Attached a screenshot of what I get. Also Gmail is not available for email. Permissions are allowed on the defender firewall. Thanks for any advice...
  6. Switching Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching Apps: When I switch from one app to another app using the alt + tab, The new app opens but doesn't focus.The focus is still on the old app and only when I click, does the focus change.Is it due to some settings?...
  7. Select apps not working

Select apps not working: I am unable to update my computer, view my photos or upload them from camera, and unable to launch shop. Seems to have coincided with updating my 365. Anyone able to help?...
  8. Front camera not detected by apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Front camera not detected by apps: I have a surface pro 4 and Windows 10. My front camera is no longer detected by the camera app or by any of the other webcam using apps Zoom, Messenger, etc. It is not a hardware issue since it still does facial recognition with red light turned on when starting the laptop....
  9. Cannot bring some apps to the front

Cannot bring some apps to the front: This started this morning. Running Windows 10 Pro. I can run the browser (Chrome), luckily. Word also. But I cannot most other apps (I think), like WinSCP, but not Calc, not Notepad++, not Notepad. If I try to run Calc, it loads in the task try and if I hover the mouse over...
  10. App Switching Not Working - Selected App Does Not Come To Front

in Windows 10 Support
    App Switching Not Working - Selected App Does Not Come To Front: The problem: I have an issue that occurs when I have a lot of windows open (12-20); when I click the taskbar to switch to an app that is open but not in the front, it sometimes will just disappear behind all other open windows. For example, if I have Chrome open and in the...