Windows 10: App to get spreadsheets to open from flash drive

Discus and support App to get spreadsheets to open from flash drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a new dell Inspiron with Windows 10 and office suite. I plugged in a flash drive with spreadsheets on it. When I try to open them, Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doc kaz, Dec 30, 2015.

1. doc kaz Win User

App to get spreadsheets to open from flash drive

I have a new dell Inspiron with Windows 10 and office suite.
    I plugged in a flash drive with spreadsheets on it.
    When I try to open them, Windows 10 TRIES to open them with Outlook 2016, and of course they won't open.

WHICH APP is necessary to get these excel spreadsheets to open, and how do I get windows to accept it so I can use them?

HELP! I'm Desperate.

Hank

:)

doc kaz, Dec 30, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

flash drives

I am unsure if your issue is with the Flash Drive or with the Spreadsheet.

To reset what happens when a Flash Drive is inserted, go to Control Panel (Windows + X Keys simultaneously and Select Control Panel), All Control Panel Items - AutoPlay - Removable Drive

To reset which application opens the spreadsheets, open Settings App (Cog Icon on your Start Menu) - System - Default Apps, then scroll to the bottom and click 'Set defaults by App'

If for example you want Excel to open these spreadsheets, click Excel (desktop), click 'Choose defaults for this Program', make sure the full list is selected and click 'Save'

I hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Dec 30, 2015
  3. Web links using Skydrive Excel on a Lumia 920 Win 8 phone.

The spreadsheets are on the sky drive. In the spreadsheets there are website links to other websites such as www.microsoft.com etc. Those links do not work when I open the spreadsheet on my phone, but they do work when accessed from a tablet or computer.

markbaumgartner, Dec 30, 2015
  4. pyramid10 Win User

Welcome to the forum.

Explore the flash drive and see what application is associated with the excel file extension(s). If it's not Excel, then it's just a matter of changing the association.

pyramid10, Dec 30, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Type Excel into search and see if you have Microsoft Excel installed. If you don't, then you will have to install it.

NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2015
  6. doc kaz Win User
    The spreadsheets are all xlsx files. But when I try to open them, word comes up and says it can't open them......very confusing.

doc kaz, Dec 30, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    What if you right click on one of the .xlsx and open with "Microsoft Excel"?

Does that work or still open Microsoft Word?

8. OldMike65 Win User

He could just start up Excel and point it to look for files on his USB stick.....if he has Excel installed.

OldMike65, Dec 30, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Excel will find its own files.....I also have Excel....so start it up, and have it look for files on your USB drive.

OldMike65, Dec 30, 2015
  10. doc kaz Win User
    I found the correct app to open the files in the store.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. I'm NOT VERY TECHY-----Combined, you solved the issue in no time flat.

Can't thank you enough.

HANK

doc kaz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. App to get spreadsheets to open from flash drive - Similar Threads - App spreadsheets open

2. unable to open a flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to open a flash drive: Unable to see the drives in my computer to open a flash drive. When I insert the flash drive, it is not prompting me automatically. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-a-flash-drive/09d03ac3-420f-463b-a25d-5ea19605444b
  3. unable to open a flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to open a flash drive: Unable to see the drives in my computer to open a flash drive. When I insert the flash drive, it is not prompting me automatically. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-a-flash-drive/09d03ac3-420f-463b-a25d-5ea19605444b
  4. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive: As my laptop got bad clusters, and my system not booting, I created a windows 10 bootable flash drive.I have another flash drive 64GB that I formated into NTFS, with GPT partition table, to install windows on it.I started the windows setup process, and when I reached the...
  5. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive: As my laptop got bad clusters, and my system not booting, I created a windows 10 bootable flash drive.I have another flash drive 64GB that I formated into NTFS, with GPT partition table, to install windows on it.I started the windows setup process, and when I reached the...
  6. How to get Windows 10 to open a flash drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get Windows 10 to open a flash drive?: Hey there everyone. I am working with a rather odd bug. I attached a thumb drive. It does not show up when I: 1. Double click the documents task bar icon. 2. Click the "This PC". Even though I am able to remove the thumb drive from the devices, I am currently unable to...
  7. How to get flash drive to open

How to get flash drive to open: How to get flash drive to open;???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-flash-drive-to-open/81aa42c9-0e27-4cd5-8e77-9501fffce0c8
  8. Can't get USB flash drive to open on Auto Play

Can't get USB flash drive to open on Auto Play: Can't get USB flash drive to open on Auto Play https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-usb-flash-drive-to-open-on-auto-play/9043586d-c3be-47b4-9f83-dbf887f60890
  9. Excel spreadsheets open blank.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel spreadsheets open blank.: Recently my Excel programs began to open with a blank Excel screen. I can go to Open in the blank sheet and open the spreadsheet from there. This happening on my Dell Latitude E5500 Laptop. This has been working fine for years. My PC is opening my Excel spreadsheets...
  10. Flash drives open, but keep getting "this file does not have an app associated....."

Flash drives open, but keep getting "this file does not have an app associated.....": Windows 10, HP laptop f:\ This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app, or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page. All I'm doing is inserting the flash drive into the USB...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. an app for opening excel on flash drive