Windows 10: App Windows are WAY too Small

Discus and support App Windows are WAY too Small in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a two-month old Alienware laptop running Windows 10 at 3840 x 2160 resolution. Both Carbon Poker and Viber (those are the only ones I've seen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lerodemmy, Apr 1, 2016.

1. lerodemmy Win User

App Windows are WAY too Small

I have a two-month old Alienware laptop running Windows 10 at 3840 x 2160 resolution. Both Carbon Poker and Viber (those are the only ones I've seen with the issue so far) appear extremely small. Viber can be maximized, but the text remains the same super small size. Carbon Poker can't be resized at all. It makes these apps virtually unusable.

I've been trying to find a fix for this, but all I see are suggestions to scale everything bigger. First of all, I don't want everything else bigger, and secondly, it doesn't make the small apps big enough anyway.

I really need to be able to play poker on this laptop, so if anyone knows something I can do to resolve this, I'd be most appreciative.

The link shows how small Carbon Poker appears:

https://i.gyazo.com/d9b5ea8ae9623cae513962f9ec2d64b0.png

:)

lerodemmy, Apr 1, 2016
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

Fonts and Icons Way Too Small

Hello Lila,

We appreciate the information that you provided. If your Windows 10 version did not allow you to adjust the fonts, we suggest that you update to the latest version of Windows 10 to check if the issue will persist. You can update your

Windows 10 version and build
    by going to Settings> Update and security> Check for updates.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Apr 1, 2016
  3. LilaBruce Win User
    Fonts and Icons Way Too Small

Apparently you Did Not read my post.

I have a brand new computer with all current Win 10 updates. So, I have the most recent version. That's the problem....!

Microsoft took away the adjustments I'm talking about....! They don't exist.

English is my only language. I don't know how else to explain it to you.

LilaBruce, Apr 1, 2016
  4. tacoban Win User

maybe try lower resolution ?

tacoban, Apr 2, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

This is the trouble with people trying to write code with FIXED pixel sizes -- I've often posted about this before -- I can't assume all I.T people have eyesight better than Eagles -- on older screens and even on laptops where screen resolution is a measly 768 X 1366 you might get readable resolution but on the new large Ultra HD things those old programs have TINY resolution and the windows aren't often expandable.

Adobe Photoshop is guilty in this regard too -- so it's not only "Cheap or Gamer end" of the spectrum.

A lot of apps are also designed for mobile phone screens too -- these don't look good when viewed on nice large High resolution monitors.

@all I.T coders -- PLEASE DON'T BE LAZY -- don't use fixed size screen images -- or if you must try it on 4K monitors as well.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 3, 2016
  6. lerodemmy Win User
    Turns out that lowering the resolution does work. If I lower it to 1920x1080 and then restart for it to take effect, the apps with issues display in normal size. So that's good, and thanks tacoban. But I'm not crazy about the fact that I paid all these extra hundreds of dollars for a UHD screen and I can't use it 100% of the time.

lerodemmy, Apr 3, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Absolutely !!! seems pointless getting a nice High Rez screen and then having to operate it at Lower resolution.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2016
  8. tacoban Win User

About things like this, new technology, never be the first. I have been selling satellite receivers. When first HD receivers came out, there were only few channels sending in HD format and the price of the receivers were for example about 300-500. At the moment there are still a lot of channels sending SD, but the price of a HD receiver is under 100 !

The same for TV's, Monitors, Computers etc. Why should I buy an UHD TV or Monitor if there is no interesting TV or Application available for it ? At the time that these things are available for your monitor, there will come much cheaper monitor with much more extra's.
    -----
    About IT coders, Software/Game developers; I am not a IT professional, I can build small simple tools for windows, one of them I shared on the forum. It's more about costs and the market. Imagine if 90% of the users use for example 1024x768 pixels, it does not make sense to put a lot of time to make it available for UHD users. Or the price will be much and much higher of the game/application/software.

tacoban, Apr 4, 2016
  9. Jauchzen Win User
    Changing the resolution did not work for me, any other ideas?

Jauchzen, May 12, 2016
  10. JLOB Win User
    You might try this. Find the .EXE fie for the app in question. Right-click on it and select “properties”. Click on “compatibility”. Under “settings”, check the box for “Disable Display Scaling for high DPI settings”.

11. Jauchzen Win User
    Tried that first, thanks for the idea though!

This is getting so frustrating, at lease google chrome and thunderbird are a normal text size so I can read my email and do web based stuff. :-(

Jauchzen, May 22, 2016
  12. yes guys I had this issue in my lap top which connected to big screen Samsung (syncmaster sa 350) try this right click
    graphics properties - display change the resolution to smaller one and apply then check the right resolution and press yes to save the perfect one for you. windows 7

ebrahimtl1984, Feb 21, 2017
  13. App Windows are WAY too Small

running windows 10 pro over 4k laptop
    my winamp and bing search is way too small as well.
    i have a feeling we will have to adjust the programs rather then the OS

App Windows are WAY too Small [​IMG]

MoreSoySauce, Oct 2, 2017
  14. If you are running your Windows computer on a high resolution display, for instance one of those brand new 4K displays, you may have noticed that some text does not scale well. At such resolutions, Windows automatically turns on DPI scaling so everything on your screen becomes larger. However, there are some third party apps, which don't render properly on high DPI screens. They look too small for the screen resolution.

Typically, such apps were written before high DPI displays appeared. They appear too small on the screen with impossible to read fonts and they don't scale properly.

Let us see how to fix them if Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 does not scale them properly.

This fix is applied on a per-app basis so you won’t have to worry about it affecting apps that don’t suffer from a small GUI.

1. Open the Windows registry editor by typing regedit.exe into Start Menu and navigate to the following location:

Code: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide[/quote] 2. Create a new DWORD value and name it PreferExternalManifest. Double click it and set its value to 1.

3. First, open the application folder for the application you need to fix the GUI for.

4. Copy below codes and paste it in notepad.

Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"> <dependency> <dependentAssembly> <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"> </assemblyIdentity> </dependentAssembly> </dependency> <dependency> <dependentAssembly> <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT" version="9.0.21022.8" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"> </assemblyIdentity> </dependentAssembly> </dependency> <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"> <security> <requestedPrivileges> <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"/> </requestedPrivileges> </security> </trustInfo> <asmv3:application> <asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings"> <ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware> </asmv3:windowsSettings> </asmv3:application> </assembly>[/quote] 6. Save the manifest file with manifest extension. For example, Photoshop has a small GUI and Photoshop executable file is called Photoshop.exe. Note the name for the executable file. Next, rename the manifest file you just downloaded to Photoshop.exe.manifest. Copy this file to the same location as the Photoshop.exe file.

You will need administrative rights to do this. That’s all you need to do.

FreeBooter, Oct 2, 2017
  15. Thank you JLOB!!
    This fixed the problem on several of my applications.

GrampyPeter, Dec 8, 2017
Thema:

1. App Windows are WAY too Small - Similar Threads - App are too

2. Taskbar Clock way too small.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Clock way too small.: Recently my taskbar clock, shrank to such a tiny size I can not even tell what the date and time are. I am 71 years old, and have a hard time just reading normal print. But now I can't even tell what the tiny numbers and letters even are. Please help, thank you in advance....
  3. Taskbar Clock way too small.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Clock way too small.: Recently my taskbar clock, shrank to such a tiny size I can not even tell what the date and time are. I am 71 years old, and have a hard time just reading normal print. But now I can't even tell what the tiny numbers and letters even are. Please help, thank you in advance....
  4. Taskbar Clock way too small.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Way too small . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Way too small . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10.I've learned how, to put. Icon pictures, over folders.For example: Over my folder, of pictures.I have an, icon pictures. Of, a camera.But my view, is set to small icons. So my folders, are small.Which makes the, added icon...
  6. Way too small . . .

Way too small . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10.I've learned how, to put. Icon pictures, over folders.For example: Over my folder, of pictures.I have an, icon pictures. Of, a camera.But my view, is set to small icons. So my folders, are small.Which makes the, added icon...
  7. Way too small . . .

8. The Display Resolution Is Way Too Small

The Display Resolution Is Way Too Small: Version 21H1 OS Build 19043,1526Monitor Driver: Microsoft File Version 10.0.19041.1151 WinBuild. 160101.0800The display is on an AVI switch. The other two machines set the resolution to 1920x1200 This machine sets it to 1280x700 which is the largest in Setting/Display. I...
  9. Certains apps are way too small in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certains apps are way too small in windows 11: So certain apps that I used are way too small. But like browser or desktop apps are not infected. Like apps Roblox Not from Microsoft store, Video editor I Used Movavi Video Editor, and more. I already tried a few steps to fix this, like Changing the high DPI settings and...
  10. Certains apps are way too small in windows 11

Certains apps are way too small in windows 11: So certain apps that I used are way too small. But like browser or desktop apps are not infected. Like apps Roblox Not from Microsoft store, Video editor I Used Movavi Video Editor, and more. I already tried a few steps to fix this, like Changing the high DPI settings and...