Windows 10: App Windows Do Not Come to the Top when clicking icon in Taskbar

Discus and support App Windows Do Not Come to the Top when clicking icon in Taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, started having this problem after the Window 10 upgrade, and even after I wiped the drive and installed W10 clean. With several apps open, when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SpitfirePS, Sep 13, 2015.

1. App Windows Do Not Come to the Top when clicking icon in Taskbar

Hi, started having this problem after the Window 10 upgrade, and even after I wiped the drive and installed W10 clean.

With several apps open, when I click an app icon on the task bar, the app does not come to top. Perhaps after repeated clicks it will surface, but often I have to manually minimize windows until I find the app I'm looking for.

I've got current video drivers, mouse drivers, and Window 10 is up to date.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? Any solutions?

Thanks!

:)

SpitfirePS, Sep 13, 2015

2. Windows 10 brings taskbar on top of fullscreen-windows after Anniversary Update

I have had this problem since Anniversary update.

It got a little bit better with the Creators update. But is still not fixed.

I have done a lot of observation and here is what I have found.

After Creators Update 1703 I find that when running a Full Screen Borderless window program and the task bar is still on top, If you click on an empty area of the taskbar (where there are no icons) thereby turning off the highlight of the program icon
    on the taskbar with the focus, then click on the full screen program's window, the taskbar will move to the back and stay there until some other program either gets focus or some background program with a notification element that puts a badge on an icon or
    modifies the taskbar icon to show a waiting message or warning token, it pops the z level of the taskbar back to 0, or on top of all other windows.

I believe a change in the taskbar code with the Windows 1607 version caused the taskbar Z level to be always set to the top whenever a icon is highlighted (and a single pixel line appears above the taskbar icon ) which is whenever a program is selected with
    focus. Since there is almost always a program with focus when running a full screen program it would keep pulling the taskbar back to the top of the windows stack.

The reason people think they have solved the problem is that they do the above procedure by accident then think it is fixed but next time Windows Defender thinks you need to update the virus definitions the (actions Required) badge on the taskbar icon,
    it comes back. Any program that has an icon on the taskbar and switches the icon bitmap to include a small badge will trigger the move of the taskbar back to the Z level 0 or always on top. IF you try the above procedure and it doesn't work, look for hidden
    or visible icons on the taskbar with notification badges on them. Go to that application with the notification and resolve the issue and then try the click on the taskbar then click on the full screen window fix and see if it now will move to the front on
    top of the taskbar.

The only way to fix this for good is to have a Taskbar Setting that lets you un-check a box that says "Taskbar always on top"

When that checkbox is Unchecked the only way to show the taskbar on top of any other window will be to hit the Windows Key on the Keyboard (Or CTRL Escape) . This is how it used to work with every version of Windows over the last 25 years until the Anniversary
    Edition changed this function.

CourtneyGoodin, Sep 13, 2015
  3. RPG17A Win User
    Windows 10 start screen.

Hi Carol

click start button and scroll down apps list until you come to the settings icon, right click then select more and pin to taskbar. You can also right click the taskbar and click the settings icon which will take you to taskbar settings and from here you
    can click home(top left) and this will take you to the full settings menu. You can also pin it to start menu and from here click and drag to your desktop as an icon.

RPG17A, Sep 13, 2015
Thema:

App Windows Do Not Come to the Top when clicking icon in Taskbar

1. App Windows Do Not Come to the Top when clicking icon in Taskbar - Similar Threads - App Top clicking

2. My taskbar icons aren't doing anything when clicked?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My taskbar icons aren't doing anything when clicked?: One day I have gotten home, and my laptop is now not allowing me to click on my internet, battery, windows, audio, and calander icon on my task bar. Mouse2 clicking on the icons don't pop anything up either. Please I really need help with this since I use this laptop on the...
  3. My taskbar icons aren't doing anything when clicked?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My taskbar icons aren't doing anything when clicked?: One day I have gotten home, and my laptop is now not allowing me to click on my internet, battery, windows, audio, and calander icon on my task bar. Mouse2 clicking on the icons don't pop anything up either. Please I really need help with this since I use this laptop on the...
  4. Windows 11 - Clicking the icon on the taskbar does not come to the top of the screen z-Index.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Clicking the icon on the taskbar does not come to the top of the screen z-Index.: Situation1. Display several programs A, B, C on the screen. 2. I'm working on Program A. 3. Click Program C on the taskbar. 4. Surprisingly, Program C does not move to the top of the screen.ps. Multiple~~~~~~ clicks on the C program on the taskbar will take you to the top at...
  5. Windows 11 - Clicking the icon on the taskbar does not come to the top of the screen z-Index.

Windows 11 - Clicking the icon on the taskbar does not come to the top of the screen z-Index.: Situation1. Display several programs A, B, C on the screen. 2. I'm working on Program A. 3. Click Program C on the taskbar. 4. Surprisingly, Program C does not move to the top of the screen.ps. Multiple~~~~~~ clicks on the C program on the taskbar will take you to the top at...
  6. If the taskbar is at the top of the screen, clicking on a program on the taskbar in Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If the taskbar is at the top of the screen, clicking on a program on the taskbar in Windows...: In Windows 11, when the taskbar is at the top of the screen, by changing a registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects3 → Settings → second row, sixth column, change value from “03” to “01”, programs with more than one window...
  7. If the taskbar is at the top of the screen, clicking on a program on the taskbar in Windows...

If the taskbar is at the top of the screen, clicking on a program on the taskbar in Windows...: In Windows 11, when the taskbar is at the top of the screen, by changing a registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects3 → Settings → second row, sixth column, change value from “03” to “01”, programs with more than one window...
  8. Right-click menu doesn't come up for taskbar icons ... ???

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-click menu doesn't come up for taskbar icons ... ???: Seems like in Windows 10 with the latest cumulative updates (as of 9/14/19 yesterday), I can't right-click on my taskbar icons and have the right-click menu come up (the one that allows for the pinning or unpinning of icons). I uninstalled the updates, and this functionality...
  9. Pages do not come to the forefront when clicking on them from taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Pages do not come to the forefront when clicking on them from taskbar: Hi all, I originally posted this to the Windows support forums, but they are slow to reply. Problem: Clicking on icons in the taskbar do not bring them to the forefront of the screen. For example, Word is open, and I try to click on Chrome, and Chrome is brought up behind...
  10. When left clicked icons in taskbar do not minimize

in Windows 10 Support
    When left clicked icons in taskbar do not minimize: It used to be that when you had a window open you could minimize it by clicking it corresponding icon in the task bar. that feature appears to no longer work and you must open each window individually and go to the minimize icon in that window to minimize it. or you can hover...