Windows 10: Apparent File Corruption (?) of Photos in File Explorer and Photos

Discus and support Apparent File Corruption (?) of Photos in File Explorer and Photos in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I'm not sure if it's a graphics card issue, but I just noticed this. Only had this computer just over a week now. Something appeared to corrupt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by STU9000, Jan 12, 2017.

1. STU9000 Win User

Apparent File Corruption (?) of Photos in File Explorer and Photos

I'm not sure if it's a graphics card issue, but I just noticed this.

Only had this computer just over a week now.

Something appeared to corrupt the files in photos when viewing them in Explorer and Photos. I copied/saved an example to illustrate what I mean but the odd thing is it has now reverted back to the original uncorrupted photo, so I'll have to describe what happened.

Some of the photos I was looking through were appearing with a portion of the photo showing a different colour contrast, as though someone was holding up a filter. Sometimes down the side, other times along the bottom, sometimes the photos were split in to three parts. Does that make sense?

Anyway, not to worry because I have everything backed up. I copied and pasted new files in to the location on the external drive, and it all seemed OK until low and behold the same files appeared to corrupt again. The same files, but the corruption was of a different nature.

So I copied one of the corrupt files to a different location and again copied new ones over, and the same thing happened.

Now, all the corrupt files have reverted back to their original uncorrupted forms on their own, uncluding the one i copied over to keep as an example.

Par example, this

Apparent File Corruption (?) of Photos in File Explorer and Photos [​IMG]

Anyone know what's going on there?

Hang on, I'll post my specs up shortly, busy with something else...

Specs-
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Name Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
    Trying to find out what the HD is...

:)

STU9000, Jan 12, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jan 12, 2017
  3. CAN NOT OPEN PHOTOS IN FILE EXPLORER FOLDERS WINDOWS 10

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this to the Community. We suggest that you use the System File Checker tool to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files. The sfc/scannow command
    (System File Check) scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed or damaged versions with the correct versions possible. You may refer to this link for
    more information.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Jan 12, 2017
  4. STU9000 Win User

It's not happened since. I'll just put it down to teething problems then... *Huh

STU9000, Jan 22, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    Most probably a problem with viewers, not picture files themselves being corrupted.

CountMike, Jan 22, 2017
  6. STU9000 Win User
    Viewers?

You mean drivers? Or my monitor?

STU9000, Jan 23, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    No, I did mean Viewers, picture Viewers, like Pictures APP or Windows Photo Viewer etc. The program you use to look at the pictures.

CountMike, Jan 23, 2017
  8. STU9000 Win User

I don't think it's the viewers. I emailed one of the corrupt files to myself and opened it up in my other Windows 7 computer and it was the same, yet the copy I have on another drive I use with that was fine.

Ever since I got this new computer I'm getting corrupt jpg files everywhere!

I've got 100,000's of photos I've taken over the past ten years. I can't afford to lose them all, and most of them are sections of much larger panoramics so if I lose one photo I lose about ten.

Problem seems to be isolated either on my Windows 10 computer, or maybe a 2GB ext drive. I can't remember how I am copying files across but I have several drives and plenty of copies.

I'm considering buying another drive today and backing up copies from (hopefully) my other drive that isn't affected by this.

Any ideas what's causing this? I'm really worried about it.

The problem has also affected illustrator files, but I think maybe only illustrator files that contain jpg images(?) (for a calendar I am designing)

STU9000, Apr 5, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    Unless SW picture viewer or program you are using is interpreting files wrong, there could be some disk corruption. No OS is just changing any data files on it's own. I regularly use W7, W10 and Linux on same computer and even XP on another and all picture and other files can be made and viewed on any of them.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2017
  10. STU9000 Win User
    I need to work out what I have been saved to and fro on different external hard drives to try to get to the bottom of this.

I suspect the culprit here maybe a faulty SD Card slot, as it seems to keep ejecting the card and has made copying files over very problematic recently. I have desisted from using it to copy files to my Win10 computer for the time being.

I have only noticed the problem affecting more recent files, and some of them were copied from drives via USB 3.0 slots so maybe it is isn't the card.

STU9000, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Apparent File Corruption (?) of Photos in File Explorer and Photos - Similar Threads - Apparent File Corruption

2. photo orientation in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    photo orientation in file explorer: My photo files are stored on an external hard drive attached to my W10 PC. Using the Details view in File Explorer, and selecting the Orientation column, most of the photos indicate "Normal" under Orientation. A few indicate "Rotate 270 Degrees". What does this mean, and how...
  3. photo orientation in file explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    photo orientation in file explorer: My photo files are stored on an external hard drive attached to my W10 PC. Using the Details view in File Explorer, and selecting the Orientation column, most of the photos indicate "Normal" under Orientation. A few indicate "Rotate 270 Degrees". What does this mean, and how...
  4. photos and file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    photos and file explorer: I have a new windows 11 laptop which came with the new photos app. All my photos get saved in one drive to this app. How do I get the new photos I've just taken to save in my file explorer on this pc? I need to work with the photos in file explorer not the new windows 11...
  5. photos and file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    photos and file explorer: I have a new windows 11 laptop which came with the new photos app. All my photos get saved in one drive to this app. How do I get the new photos I've just taken to save in my file explorer on this pc? I need to work with the photos in file explorer not the new windows 11...
  6. file explorer and photo issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file explorer and photo issues: why do photos opened from file explorer not let you use full screen? it used to work but now does not. when you try to use full screen the task bar and menu bar disappear but the image size does not change...
  7. File Explorer and photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer and photos: I'm usually good with this sorta stuff but I cant figure this out: How do I make my pictures from file explorer open in Photos? I've tried pressing the open in thing but photos is not showing, I also tried looking in settings on the photos app....
  8. Photos app, and or file explorer

Photos app, and or file explorer: This drive me crazy and I have always been pretty good with the computer. This one has me beat though. If I take a photo at 7:59 pm and another one at 8:01pm they will go to different folders on my PC. The one from 7:59 will go to a folder created with that days date. For...
  9. Photos on File Explorer

Photos on File Explorer: I have been able to show all my photos for years in alpha/numeric sequence in file explorer slide show; but now the show them in a random sequence, including all my old files which previously showed them as alpha/numeric. Please could you tell me how I can disable random play...
  10. File Explorer / Photos

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Explorer / Photos: Hello, Through One Drive I have all of my pictures on PC. Today I accidentaly pressed Group By button in File Explorer and all of my photos are in different order. I've tried every single button grouping by Name, Time and even None anyhow all the photos aren't in the same...