Windows 10: Apple MBP: UEFI installation won't boot after image apply

Discus and support Apple MBP: UEFI installation won't boot after image apply in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, last few hours I spent trying to manually deploy Windows 10 on clean GPT disk but after applying image and rebooting I always end in unbootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ren, Aug 24, 2015.

1. REN
    Ren Win User

Apple MBP: UEFI installation won't boot after image apply

Hi, last few hours I spent trying to manually deploy Windows 10 on clean GPT disk but after applying image and rebooting I always end in unbootable state.

I manually setup drive like this:
    Code: select disk 0 clean convert gpt create partition primary size 350 #RE tools won't fit 300MB anymore Apple MBP: UEFI installation won't boot after image apply :) format quick fs ntfs label "Windows RE tools" assign letter t set id de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac gpt attributes 0x8000000000000001 create partition efi size 100 format quick fs fat32 label System assign letter s create partition msr size 128 create partition primary format quick fs ntfs label Windows assign letter w list volume exit #no recovery image partition as per documentation it is no longer needed[/quote] and followed by pretty common deployment:
    Code: dism /apply-image /imagefile:g:\Sources\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:w:\ dism /image:w:\ /set-Timezone:"Central Europe Standard Time" md T:\Recovery\WindowsRE attrib w:\Windows\System32\Recovery\Winre.wim -h -s -r copy w:\Windows\System32\Recovery\Winre.wim T:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim bcdboot w:\windows /s s: /f UEFI w:\Windows\System32\reagentc /setreimage /path T:\Recovery\WindowsRE /target w:\Windows[/quote] After reboot I always end unbootable (as we talk Apple computer it means 1) no partition on Option or 2) folder with ? or 3) just gray screen, make your pick). There's a chance that Windows rely on some UEFI 2.0 feature, which is not available as the old guy has 1.2 only. Or maybe I missed some step somewhere. Any ideas?

:)

2. Windows 10 USB 3.0 error 0xc0000225 won't work!

Since it's a new build it will definitely be UEFI so the media has to be booted as UEFI flash stick or it won't install.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 24, 2015
  3. SSD not recognized in bios (laptop)

In most UEFI firmware when you correctly install by booting the media as a UEFI device, delete all partitions to assure GPT formatting, then click Next to install to make sure the needed partitions are correctly created and formatted automatically, it will
    set the Windows Boot Manager first to boot. The hard drive or SSD it's installed upon is not set first except in a Legacy MBR install.

What happens if you try to start the PC with Windows Boot Manager set first as it must always be in a UEFI install?

If it still won't boot then I'd do the install over following the illustrated steps in

Clean Install Windows 10
    , booting the media as a UEFI device only, during Custom install delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to clear the formatting and assure it's being correctly installed to UEFI on a GPT disk format.

If you're using Hirens to boot it then it may not have the necessary boot files, or you chose the installer in legacy mode instead of UEFI. The difference is shown in this example:

Apple MBP: UEFI installation won't boot after image apply [​IMG]

If it still won't function correctly then it goes to the UEFI firmware settings, which need to have UEFI enabled; Legacy BIOS, CSM or Compatibility disabled; Secure Boot on. However normally if these were not set correctly the Windows Boot manager wouldn't
    appear at all, so the problem is most likely that the install was done incorrectly or its boot files are malfunctioning or EFI System partition misconfigured.

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 24, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Only macs with PCIe SSD support UEFI. For MBP that is only retina versions from late 2013 or more recent (your 5.1 is 2009 I think). Even if you can get UEFI to boot you'll get no sound etc as there aren't any drivers.

You'd want to use BIOS emulation. Method is (actually simpler):

diskpart
    list disk
    Take note of the disk you want to select
    select disk 1 (if your disk is Disk 1)
    clean
    convert mbr
    create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs quick label=Whatever
    assign letter=E
    exit

Open up File Explorer. In your C drive, create a new folder named WIN2GO.
    Put the install.wim file in this folder

Back in cmd.exe:
    dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\ (this process will take quite a while)
    E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s E: /f ALL

source

5. REN
    Ren Win User
    halasz: Actually, that's not true at all. If you don't mind MBR (BIOS emulation), you just pop Windows DVD into drive and install them like on any other laptop. All drivers are available in Windows Update immediately (chipset is nForce, audio is generic Realtek, etc..), I was running that MBP5.1 with Win 8.1 for the whole last year. Now I even have Windows 10 there, again, fully working, all devices installed, but only MBR. All those extra steps are required only in case you want to run UEFI, not legacy (or when you do not have optical drive and your MBP is too old to be able to boot from USB). Appatly, I'm just missing some step to have it running from UEFI from GPT and that's why I asked here. (overly simplified but let's pretend MBR='BIOS Emulation'=legacy and GPT=UEFI, even though they are diffet things, in this context I mean it the same)
    ======================================================================

For those who would ever think about doing the same as me, running MacBook with Windows only, the less known fact is that all you need from bootcamp is \Drivers\Apple\(x64)\bootcamp(x64).msi. You need:
    bootcamp 4.x for Win 7
    bootcamp 5.x for Win 8(.1)
    and now
    bootcamp 6.x for Win 10.
    As Apple do not freely distribute bootcamp package anymore (from 6.x up), you need to get your hands on any Mac, run BCA and let it create USB with drivers from Apple update (hefty 3GB download just for 5MB of bootcamp.msi). While setup.exe won't let you run it on unsupported hw, you do not want to run setup.exe anyway. In elevated command prompt you run 'msiexec /i bootcamp.msi' and your BC control panel is installed, providing you with:
    Keyboard backlight
    Choice between F1-12 and function keys
    Touchpad controls (like right click with double touch)
    OSD for function keys
    and a few other small things.
    In all the other aspects it behaves like generic laptop (no UEFI user iface etc, but you've got the idea).

TL;DR: You can install Windows on any MBP like on common laptop, you don't even need OSX for that. Just install correct \Drivers\Apple\(x64)\bootcamp(x64).msi after installing Windows to have it fully working.

I would turn this into some kind of guide but dunno where and how. Hopefully it will help to someone who runs over it incidentally.

Thema:

1. Apple MBP: UEFI installation won't boot after image apply - Similar Threads - Apple MBP UEFI

2. Unable to boot into UEFI windows installation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot into UEFI windows installation.: I have an unusual setup.I have one SSSD drive connected via SATA, Patriot Burst, 128GB.Data drive TOSHIBA HDWE140 4GB classic disk.Now I had a bit strange setup running my windows 11 pro installation. I am a Linux guy and have SSD with just one EFI system partition and one...
  3. Unable to boot into UEFI windows installation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot into UEFI windows installation.: I have an unusual setup.I have one SSSD drive connected via SATA, Patriot Burst, 128GB.Data drive TOSHIBA HDWE140 4GB classic disk.Now I had a bit strange setup running my windows 11 pro installation. I am a Linux guy and have SSD with just one EFI system partition and one...
  4. Booting problem after changing to uefi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting problem after changing to uefi: After converting mbr to gpt using third party app and changing it to uefi from bios, the system is showing "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" then i change uefi and kept as default, then also it is not working...
  5. Config UEFI to offer win10x64 or image restore at boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Config UEFI to offer win10x64 or image restore at boot: Here's the best case scenario: User with this pc will boot to win10. When it's screwed or needs to get unscrewed, they just restore using a 2nd partition with a "insert your favorite image creator" image on it. (At this point I'm not partial to any certain app to do this....
  6. Laptop won't boot. Can only access UEFI. Installation usb won't work.

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't boot. Can only access UEFI. Installation usb won't work.: Start of the problem: laptop been acting very slow lately so I created a windows 10 installation media usb from a different laptop and used it to reinstall windows 10 on my slow laptop. It was working fine for a few hours until I chose to install my official copy of microsoft...
  7. Macrium Image Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Image Won't Boot: Lenovo Thinkpad E531, legacy BIOS mode, Win 10 Pro. Objective: To image entire current 300GB HD to a 500GB HD. Used Diskpart to wipe the 500GB drive first, then formatted it as GPT/NTFS/no drive letter. Imaged the 300GB to the 500GB with Macrium Reflect 7.2. No errors after...
  8. Win10 not booting after Linux installation - UEFI/BIOS conflict?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 not booting after Linux installation - UEFI/BIOS conflict?: Thanks again topgundcp. This solved the problem. To verify how well Macrium Rescue performs I tried fixing the boot immediately after backing up? It worked.
  9. UEFI Installation With Secure boot enabled

UEFI Installation With Secure boot enabled: Hello tech guys, i need emergency help, i posting this thread from my frined's computer, i have a HP laptop, and few days ago i send it to tech shop for motherboard repair, and they did it as well, but after few days i am facing problem with BIOS, i cant change bios...
  10. Windows 10 To Go Image not booting on Computer with UEFI

Windows 10 To Go Image not booting on Computer with UEFI: Hi, I'm trying to make a Windows To Go image for my PC repair business using Rufus and a Windows 10 Pro ISO from MS Techbench. It boots perfectly fine on most computers except one. The computer I am trying to boot off is running Windows 8.1 with a UEFI bios. It's got a...