Windows 10: Application windows are scaled down on a 100% scaled monitor

Discus and support Application windows are scaled down on a 100% scaled monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Many applications windows are scaled down to about two thirds of original size on my system (a laptop with two external monitors) and also on one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by David Balažic, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Application windows are scaled down on a 100% scaled monitor

Many applications windows are scaled down to about two thirds of original size on my system (a laptop with two external monitors) and also on one another (also a laptop, but with a single external monitor).

For example, if I open a 1920x1080 PNG picture in Paint and maximize it on the middle monitor (that has native 1920x1080 resolution and is set to that resolution in Windows, with 100% scaling), the picture will not take up the entire window, but seems to be scaled down to about 66%.

What could be the cause and how to fix it?

It is Windows 10 Home 64 bit (up to date, version 1803).

The laptop monitor is 1920x1080 with 150% scaling and the third monitor is 3440x1440 at 100% scaling.

Logging out and back in does not help, neither does rebooting.

Screenshots:

MS Paint showing own screenshot sized 1920x1080 but scaled down:

Application windows are scaled down on a 100% scaled monitor 9caec946-5304-43a8-a2da-4688191e0907?upload=true.png

TeamViewer showing a 1920x1080 remote screen, yet smaller that local 1920x1080 monitor, even if set to 1:1 scaling:

Application windows are scaled down on a 100% scaled monitor [​IMG]

:)

David Balažic, Aug 22, 2018
  2. Xylee Del Win User

scales & applications

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Windows 10 may have encountered a display setting issue that caused this on your applications. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • What is the current build and version of your Windows 10? To check type in
      winver on the search bar and press Enter.
    • Have you used an external monitor previously?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you check this article and perform the troubleshooting steps given to see if there will be any changes:

Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

If you think this was useful, kindly mark it as answer to help fellow community members who are also experiencing the same issue.

Xylee Del, Aug 22, 2018
  3. zachoz26 Win User
    scales & applications

Hello,

I followed the instructions in the article, and the problem was fixed.

Thank you very much for your support!

zachoz26, Aug 22, 2018
  4. Application windows are scaled down on a 100% scaled monitor

Mixed resolution scaling results in blurry applications?

This looks to be a continuation of the bug described here: Multiple Display Scaling is Blurry.

I have the following monitor configuration:

Application windows are scaled down on a 100% scaled monitor 80a6f2e9-0720-4f03-a125-aadb8826d1d4.png

Monitor #1 is UHD and is using 150% scaling. Everything that respects scaling looks great on that monitor. Monitors #2,#3,#4 are 1080p, 1080p and 1440p respectively, and are set to 100% scaling. The problem is that most things appear obviously blurry
    on monitors #2,#3, and #4. Windows appears to be scaling everything on those monitors to 150%, then scaling back down to 100%. Any legacy dialogs and applications that don't respect scaling look perfect on monitors #2, #3 and #4.

If I take an application that does respect scaling (say Chrome or Edge), and place it on monitor #1, but overlap it a little bit onto the other monitors, the application looks scaled to 150% on those other monitors and does not appear blurry.

After fiddling around with connections, I'm convinced that it is not a hardware or driver issue, and that Windows is scaling, then descaling, the monitors I set to 100%, and the results are very poor. Is there any way to get Windows to simply *not* scale at
    all on those monitors - to disable it entirely?

Belisarius2501, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

Application windows are scaled down on a 100% scaled monitor

1. Application windows are scaled down on a 100% scaled monitor - Similar Threads - Application are scaled

2. Custom scaling per monitor 110% vrs 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom scaling per monitor 110% vrs 100%: On this new WIN 11 Dell G15 with 2560 display, I want to run the internal screen at 110% custom resolution, while my external 1920 display shall run at 100%. This as it seems isn't possible, which severely sucks. The 110% is perfect, and I DO NEED IT LIKE THAT, which leaves...
  3. Custom scaling per monitor 110% vrs 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom scaling per monitor 110% vrs 100%: On this new WIN 11 Dell G15 with 2560 display, I want to run the internal screen at 110% custom resolution, while my external 1920 display shall run at 100%. This as it seems isn't possible, which severely sucks. The 110% is perfect, and I DO NEED IT LIKE THAT, which leaves...
  4. Win 32 default applications scaling isssue on 100% scaling with an HiDPI display on 175%...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 32 default applications scaling isssue on 100% scaling with an HiDPI display on 175%...: I have 2 normal DPI monitor with one HiDPI monitor. Whenever I turn on scaling for the HiDPI monitor with the option to fix scaling for applications turned on. Than it makes the default win 32 applications such as Explorer, Wordpad, MSpaint, etc... blurry. As if it's was...
  5. Win 32 default applications scaling isssue on 100% scaling with an HiDPI display on 175%...

Win 32 default applications scaling isssue on 100% scaling with an HiDPI display on 175%...: I have 2 normal DPI monitor with one HiDPI monitor. Whenever I turn on scaling for the HiDPI monitor with the option to fix scaling for applications turned on. Than it makes the default win 32 applications such as Explorer, Wordpad, MSpaint, etc... blurry. As if it's was...
  6. Scale under 100%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Scale under 100%: I just got myself a second screen, but everything is too large on it, even tho its only on 100% is there any way to make things smaller, not needed to be with scaling, i need it just to be smaller submitted by /u/Marto_xD [link] [comments]...
  7. Dual-monitor scaling

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual-monitor scaling: Hi, everyone. I have a laptop+external monitor setup. I use 125% scaling for laptop display and 100% for external monitor. The problem is when I unplug monitor from laptop and later connect it, scaling factor for external monitor resets to laptop display value. So, every...
  8. Wrong Windows 10 scaling at 100%

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wrong Windows 10 scaling at 100%: Hello, I was changing settings for my secondary monitor 4K TV in Windows 10, when i noticed my main monitor was changed from the default 100% to "300% recommended" scaling, which is weird because its a 24" 1080p monitor, so i shouldn't need to use any scaling at all not...
  9. Monitor Scaling and resolution

Monitor Scaling and resolution: I have a 2 monitor setup on windows 10. I have a 23.8 inch 1440p monitor, and a 31 inch 1080p television as my second monitor. In the windows display settings menu it assumes the 1080p tv is smaller than the 1440p monitor despite it being the opposite. Is there a way to input...
  10. Scaling with multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Scaling with multiple monitors: Hi there, I've got a 15 inch Dell laptop with 4K screen. Using the Dell docking station, I'm running 2 external monitors connected over DP ports (LG's 2560*1080 and Dell's 1920*1080) - both external screens run at their respective native resolutions in the extended desktop...