Windows 10: Applications crash and stop responding as soon as they're opened

Discus and support Applications crash and stop responding as soon as they're opened in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello. I've had a problem with my Lenovo laptop since last week. Every time I try to open an application, excluding the default applications by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by kicoputen, Mar 20, 2018.

1. kicoputen Win User

Applications crash and stop responding as soon as they're opened

Hello. I've had a problem with my Lenovo laptop since last week. Every time I try to open an application, excluding the default applications by Windows, they crash as soon as the app opens, and I get a "has stopped working" popup. I've erased potential viruses with Windows Defender, booted the computer in safe mode but the problem persists. I've also noticed that every once a powershell32 window randomly pops up on my taskbar.

:)

kicoputen, Mar 20, 2018

2. Nokia 700 Help - Maps crashing as soon as opened !!

@agayush

Might suggest after deleting E:\cities or F:\cities as appropriate +.qf file and re-staringt Nokia Maps application to re-define necessary folder structure that you set application "Online" with WLAN access point and download a few kb's of data by zooming
    in to your position upon map; this can ensure that Nokia Suite > Maps delivers the correct data.

Don't want to complicate issue but it might be easier to manually install map data by decompressing downloaded .zip files if you can't resolve this issue shortly!

aspergerguy, Mar 20, 2018
  3. agayush Win User
    Nokia 700 Help - Maps crashing as soon as opened !!

@aspergerguy

I did as you told and nokia maps were opening. But as soon as I downloaded the basemap of asia (connecting it to my computer via nokia suite), it became defunct .

agayush, Mar 20, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, do you have a system restore point or a disk image you can restore created before the problem occurred? (We constantly urge users to use disk imaging routinely e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) ).

Otherwise please do the following routine checks for starters:
    1. First check your disk:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post a screenshot of its GUI.

2. Now check your file system:

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | dotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

3. From an admin command or powershell prompt
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and report the summary result.

If all ok, please try a clean boot and compare the outcome.

Are you talking about apps downloaded from the Store, or programs you have downloaded from the internet and installed yourself which are crashing?

What is your Windows build?
    Windows key + R, winver

Please look at your Reliability History and click on any red x's related to crashes you have experienced.
    Post any helpful information.
    You may also find a small free program called appcrashview (easy to find) helpful to see such information.

Thanks.

dalchina, Mar 20, 2018
  5. kicoputen Win User
    I encountered two problems while trying to follow the steps. First of all, unfortunately I can't setup Hard Disk Sentinel, or any setup because the setup manager crashes, as it does almost every application. The other problem is when I run Command Prompt as admin, and hit enter after chkdsk C:/F, I got this:

"The type of system file is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule to be checked next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

So I restarted the computer and repeated the process, but I get the same message.

To answer your other questions, my Windows build is: "16299.309".
    Also, I'm talking about applications downloaded from the internet, not from the Windows Store. Apps downloaded from Windows Store work without issue.

kicoputen, Mar 20, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, please try a portable (non-installed) program to check your disk.
    Portable HD Tune Download

This only checks the SMART parameters so is limited. You can put it on a flash drive e.g.
    It should have a Health and Error Scan tab.

Again, do you have a system restore point or a disk image you can restore created before the problem occurred?

chkdsk: assuming it ran when your PC restarted - did you notice? It should take some time, and there would be a prompt asking you if you wanted to skip disk scanning...

As I said above, when your PC reboots, you have to do work to get the result.

However
    If given the dire state of your PC you can't do that, try
    chkdsk c: /scan
    - which does not require a restart and will not fix anything.

If ok, proceed to run SFC /SCANNOW as above.

dalchina, Mar 20, 2018
  7. kicoputen Win User
    Unfortunately not. Also I downloaded Portable HD Tune and so far it hasn't opened.

kicoputen, Mar 20, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Please try running
    chkdsk c: /scan

Now, I've had a random intuitive thought given the portable program won't run etc..
    See
    Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    What you try is up to you.
    You can try first restoring the default association for exe files- you can try restoring it for all (with obvious consequences for your customised associations).

Do you have any idea what led to this happening? - Did you install something, receive an update...?

At this point we have no idea if your disk is good or not.
    Therefore please download and create Kyhi's bootable Win 10 disk with lots of utilities on it from the top of the Software and Apps section here.

Boot your PC from that; on it you will find HD Tune. Run that and post the result.

dalchina, Mar 20, 2018
  9. kicoputen Win User
    "Chkdsk c: /scan" did work, and it says Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. I ran SFC /SCANNOW after that, and it says Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Do you want me to post the log text?

As far as what led to this problem, I installed a third party application that was detected by Windows Defender as malicious, but I thought the source was trusted so I mistakenly white listed the threats.

kicoputen, Mar 20, 2018
  10. dalchina New Member
    Could you say what that was? If the problem has now become removing malware, that changes things. What it was could determine how to try to deal with it.

In general, from the way your PC is behaving, you would need to get one or more bootable AV disks.
    Kyhi's disk includes Malwarebytes.

Several here:
    Best 6 Bootable Antivirus Rescue Disks for Severely Infected Computer - Tech Support All

Until it's possible to get programs running normally on your PC, trying to correct your system files becomes somewhat irrelevant.

dalchina, Mar 20, 2018
  11. kicoputen Win User
    So the problem appears to be a malware, and not a hard drive problem? Couldn't malware be manually removed?

kicoputen, Mar 20, 2018
  12. dalchina New Member
    We don't know for sure... but what you say strongly suggests that.

Again, could you say what the program was please?

Manual removal? Hardly! And do you knew exactly and precisely where, what, and how? We have no idea what has been done to your PC really, or if it's recoverable.

This is why we constantly urge people to use disk imaging routinely (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) ). Often gives a chance of recovery from a bad situation relatively quickly without technical help- even if a disk fails.

dalchina, Mar 20, 2018
  13. kicoputen Win User

The program was a .m3u link checker.

kicoputen, Mar 21, 2018
  14. dalchina New Member
    Ok, can you provide the name of it and the URL?

Have you tried items in post #6 and #8?

dalchina, Mar 21, 2018
  15. kicoputen Win User
    Unfortunately I don't remember the name or url, since I removed all the traces of it on my computer. Now that I think about it, the threat may have come from a different source. My apologies for not having enough details on the source.

And I did try post #6, didn't solve the problem. Still in the process of doing post #8.

kicoputen, Mar 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Applications crash and stop responding as soon as they're opened - Similar Threads - Applications crash stop

2. Seach Application Stopped responding and was closed

in Cortana
    Seach Application Stopped responding and was closed: Hello everyone,The past 4 days Search Application has been stopping and restarting for no reason. SourceSearch applicationSummaryStopped responding and was closedDate‎21/‎08/‎2022 23:07StatusReport sentDescriptionA problem caused this program to stop interacting with...
  3. Seach Application Stopped responding and was closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seach Application Stopped responding and was closed: Hello everyone,The past 4 days Search Application has been stopping and restarting for no reason. SourceSearch applicationSummaryStopped responding and was closedDate‎21/‎08/‎2022 23:07StatusReport sentDescriptionA problem caused this program to stop interacting with...
  4. Seach Application Stopped responding and was closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. All applications not responding, then crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All applications not responding, then crashing: Hello,As of today, June 14th, all applications on my Windows 10 PC seem to have stopped working. This includes simple stuff like notepad. The application does not respond, turns white, then crashes. Crash manager reads Not Responding -> Suspended -> Not Responding ->...
  6. All applications not responding, then crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All applications not responding, then crashing: Hello,As of today, June 14th, all applications on my Windows 10 PC seem to have stopped working. This includes simple stuff like notepad. The application does not respond, turns white, then crashes. Crash manager reads Not Responding -> Suspended -> Not Responding ->...
  7. All applications not responding, then crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Applications stop responding after a while

Applications stop responding after a while: I have no idea why it happens. Some of the applications on my laptop stops working after minutes of usage, varying from 1 min to 10+ mins. These applications include Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Animate, and games Don't Starve, This War of Mine, and perhaps more. By saying stop...
  9. USB Microphone stops responding when opening games/applications

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Microphone stops responding when opening games/applications: The microphone I have is a Tonor Q9, which works completely fine until I open a game or a game launcher. The mic doesn't disconnect or anything, it just stops picking up audio until I unplug and plug back in the microphone, or weirdly enough when I unplug and plug my...
  10. Many applications close/crash as soon as I open them

Many applications close/crash as soon as I open them: writing this on my phone. as the title says, lots of applications I try to open including: chrome, word, firefox, and the search bar all close as soon as I try to open them. Trying to open it too many times will cause my laptop to crash saying kernel security check error....