Windows 10: Applications crash when using system file dialog (opening/saving)

Discus and support Applications crash when using system file dialog (opening/saving) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I first noticed this in Chrome, thinking it was an issue with Chrome 57 (I couldn't attach files to emails because when I clicked to choose my file,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by denno020, Apr 20, 2017.

1. denno020 Win User

Applications crash when using system file dialog (opening/saving)

I first noticed this in Chrome, thinking it was an issue with Chrome 57 (I couldn't attach files to emails because when I clicked to choose my file, Chrome would just crash).

I've since noticed that it is a Windows issue after I tried to save a Photoshop image that I had spent a bit of time on, only to see Photoshop crash. From there I tried Word and Paint, both of which crash when I try to save.

This issue only seems to have started occurring when the Windows 10 Creator Update was installed the other day.

I have had the Event Viewer open when I make one of the applications crash, but I don't seem to be able to see an entry for the crash (to be honest, I don't really know how to use the Event Viewer, further than opening it and refreshing to hopefully notice a big red Error entry)

Weirdly, I'm able to save files through Firefox, so for whatever reason, the system file dialog doesn't make Firefox crash (Version 52.0.2).

I have been doing some Googling, and people suggested that disabling Network Discovery can help - It didn't in my instance.

Is anyone able to help with what I should debug next?

Edit:
    Further details to this issue, in case anyone actually wants to read it.
    I've done some testing with Paint, causing the application to crash by trying to open a file, whilst running DebugDiag 2 to capture the crash information
    The 2 exception ID's that are thrown when the application crashes are as follows:
    0XC000001D
    0XC000041D

:)

denno020, Apr 20, 2017

2. File Open/Save Dialog crashing application that triggers it

Ever since the Windows 10 Creators Update installed itself onto my computer, whenever I try and use the File Open/Save dialog, the application that I am using it within will crash.

For example, if I want to attach a file to an email, Chrome will crash. If I want to open an image in Paint, Paint will crash. If I've spent a couple of hours in Microsoft Word writing a new resume and then go to save it, Word will crash (yes, this happened).

I downloaded a program called DebugDiag 2, and used it to track MS Paint while I caused the application to crash. I was given 2 exception ID's:

0XC000001D

0XC000041D

The File Open/Save dialog won't cause Edge to crash, nor will it cause Firefox to crash. I compared the dialog in Edge with the one shown in Firefox, to see if there are some shortcut that Firefox isn't loading, that other applications might be trying to
    load, and it's causing them to crash. The 2 that I noticed are "Camera" and "Photos". The Camera shortcut tries to open my camera (of which I don't have one), and the Photo's one tries to connect to some online service, that I haven't set up. So these two
    shortcuts could very well be what is causing other applications to crash.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help me?

Thanks,

Luke

Edit:

I have just opened MS Paint as Administrator, and I was able to use the File Open/Save dialog perfectly fine! Obviously that's not a fix, but it's interesting to know

Edit 2:

I have noticed that when I first sign in, if I open up MS Paint and then use the File Open/Save dialog to try and open a file, it will pop up correctly, as expected. However, after around 30 seconds of the computer being turned on, the dialog will then make
    the computer crash

Final Edit:

It turns out that in my case, the crashing was being caused by another application I had installed, Bins. Exiting that and disabling it from starting with Windows has fixed the problem

LukeDenton, Apr 20, 2017
  3. File Open/Save Dialog crashing application that triggers it

Hi Luke,

To help resolve the issue about crashing applications after the Windows 10 Creators update, you may utilize the Windows update Troubleshooter. This helpful tool has been proven effective in correcting issues brought about by updating systems. Click the link
    provided below to begin using this tool.

Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Let us know the result of your troubleshooting procedure for us to assist you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Apr 20, 2017
  4. mitchsc Win User

Experiencing the exact same issue. Thought it started with chrome... and so on.

Nothing seems to fix it so far, tried running sfc /scannow, repairing windows, drive scans, malware scans, online.../restorehealth and so on.

Definitely started with the creators update and no ability to restore. Once again Microsoft shows what a bunch of champions they all are.

mitchsc, Jul 3, 2017
  5. denno020 Win User
    Do you have the program Bins?

The issue for me was that. I've had to disable it and haven't yet re-enabled it because I don't think they've (1UP Industries) fixed it yet.

denno020, Jul 3, 2017
  6. mitchsc Win User
    I do have Bins.
    Disabled it, but nothing changed.

Will a try full uninstall and restart later today.

mitchsc, Jul 3, 2017
  7. mitchsc Win User
    SUPER OMG!

That worked, thanks a million! Was a couple of hours into solving this.

mitchsc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Applications crash when using system file dialog (opening/saving) - Similar Threads - Applications crash using

2. Unreasonably slow File Open/Save Dialogs and high resource usage on any application when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unreasonably slow File Open/Save Dialogs and high resource usage on any application when...: Hello!This issue is on a Win11 Pro 22H2 Build 22581.200 machine but persists on other machines in our network.First of all: Windows Explorer is able to populate network directories instantly. This is not a configuration issue with the network settings on the machine.But: In...
  3. Unreasonably slow File Open/Save Dialogs and high resource usage on any application when...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unreasonably slow File Open/Save Dialogs and high resource usage on any application when...: Hello!This issue is on a Win11 Pro 22H2 Build 22581.200 machine but persists on other machines in our network.First of all: Windows Explorer is able to populate network directories instantly. This is not a configuration issue with the network settings on the machine.But: In...
  4. WTCAD Application crash when saving files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WTCAD Application crash when saving files: I keep getting this crash on one computer running Windows 10 x64. My laptop running the same program and same version of Windows runs fine. Here are the two errors generated: Source Watchtower CAD 3.1.010 Summary Stopped working Date ‎11/‎15/‎2019 5:24 AM Status Report...
  5. Save and Open common dialog

in Windows 10 Customization
    Save and Open common dialog: Hi When I try to open or save file in my common dialog box always open ThisPc to show me the path. How to set it up to be closed. On my other computer ThisPc is always closed in an open or save dialog box. many thx for help[ATTACH]...
  6. Applications crash during file open dialogs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Applications crash during file open dialogs: Windows10 Home Version 10.0.17134 In Chrome and in Cybershot PowerDirector17 (a video editor application), when I try to change a path (switch from one directory to another) in a file open dialog, the application crashes. It's so bad I don't use Chrome (Liking Edge a lot)...
  7. Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files: I have a lot of files stored on a flash drive in briefcases. However, the open/save as dialogs do not display all available folders. Why is that? What can I do to correct this major headache?...
  8. Dialog Box Save/Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dialog Box Save/Open: When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved in the drop down list? I...
  9. Save / Save As / Open Dialog Crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save / Save As / Open Dialog Crashing: I tried to do a search but it didn't come up with much. Have you guys seen an issue where the Save/SaveAs/Open dialogs don't open and instead the app crashes? I've seen it in Notepad, Paint and Word. If I kill all explorer.exe processes, and then launch for example Notepad...
  10. Problem when Open or save file in some of application

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem when Open or save file in some of application: Hi , I just reinstall windows 10 , and after a few days looks like I encounter some display error . When I tried to open or save file in some application it doesn't show what it should be. I attach the picture. [img] [img] any help would be appreciated...