Windows 10: Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.

Discus and support Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So basically ill have some applications open on my second monitor such as chrome, discord, spotify, and then my primary monitor will have something... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by codey7rack, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.

So basically ill have some applications open on my second monitor such as chrome, discord, spotify, and then my primary monitor will have something else such as a game.However when my monitor screens timeout after a certain amount of time without activity, upon moving my mouse and watching my monitors light up again, the applications from my secondary monitor will switch to my first and ill have to drag them back over to my second one. This obviously is not a huge issue but it would be nice to make it so that the applications on my second monitor do not switch over when the monitors black out.

:)

codey7rack, Mar 1, 2024

2. Primary Monitor Dims When Connecting Second Monitor

I'm currently using an LG 34UC79G-B monitor as my primary display and a Samsung CF390 as my secondary display, running Windows 11.

When the LG is utilized as the sole monitor (display settings set to "Only Show on 1"), the monitor works fine, brightness is great. However, when I switch to "Extend Desktop" to utilize a second monitor, the main monitor dims fairly significantly.

Additional information:

• GPU drivers and Windows are fully updated
    • Auto-brightness/adaptive brightness is disabled
    • HDR is disabled
    • No settings are or have been changed, both in Windows and on the monitor's OSD
    • The monitor works great at all times, except when I'm using two monitors
    UPDATE: I switched my primary display to HDMI instead of DP and the issue stops. However, it's a 144Hz monitor, so running HDMI instead of DP cuts my framerate.

What in the world could be causing this?

LoganBarker, Mar 1, 2024
  3. Ajhmain Win User
    The taskbar locked to bottom of secondary monitor moves to the primary monitor whenever primary monitor is switched on.

See the title.

I have the taskbar locked at the bottom of the secondary monitor so the primary monitor is completely empty for watching movies, games TV etc.

Whenever I turn the primary monitor on, the taskbar immediately jumps from the bottom of the seconday monitor over to the bottom of the primary monitor. I then need to untick the 'Locked' option on the taskbar, drag it back to the secondary and tick 'Locked'
    again.

The taskbar disrupts desktop icons on the primary and any application running on the primary monitor at the time and quite frustrating.

Primary monitor is an Asus PB328, connected via Display Port to the PC.

Secondary monitor is a Samsung 24 connected via DVI to the PC.

I expect the taskbar to remain where I place it when locked, regardless of monitors been switched on or off.

The sequence of turning on the primary and secondary monitors has no impact. As soon as the primary monitor (Asus on DP) is turned on, the locked taskbar moves to the primary display, regardless of whether the Samsung is on or not.

Ajhmain, Mar 1, 2024
  4. Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.

Monitor Primary monitor layout switches upon second monitor power off

Hi alts63,

One of the possible reasons why your primary monitor layout switches is that the rotation lock option is turned on. In order to turn that off and fix the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + A on your keyboard to open Action Center.
    2. Click the Expand button.
    3. Click the Rotation lock to turn it off.

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Mar 1, 2024
Thema:

Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.

1. Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out. - Similar Threads - Applications second monitor

2. Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.: So basically ill have some applications open on my second monitor such as chrome, discord, spotify, and then my primary monitor will have something else such as a game.However when my monitor screens timeout after a certain amount of time without activity, upon moving my...
  3. Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications on second monitor switch to primary monitor when monitor times out.: So basically ill have some applications open on my second monitor such as chrome, discord, spotify, and then my primary monitor will have something else such as a game.However when my monitor screens timeout after a certain amount of time without activity, upon moving my...
  4. Primary Monitor Dims When Connecting Second Monitor

Primary Monitor Dims When Connecting Second Monitor: I'm currently using an LG 34UC79G-B monitor as my primary display and a Samsung CF390 as my secondary display, running Windows 11.When the LG is utilized as the sole monitor display settings set to "Only Show on 1", the monitor works fine, brightness is great. However, when I...
  5. Primary Monitor Dims When Connecting Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Primary Monitor Dims When Connecting Second Monitor: I'm currently using an LG 34UC79G-B monitor as my primary display and a Samsung CF390 as my secondary display.When the LG is utilized as the sole monitor display settings set to "Only Show on 1", the monitor works fine, brightness is great. However, when I switch to "Extend...
  6. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...: First issue: When I switch my secondary monitor off, nothing changes good.However, when switching back on, all windows are moved to the primary monitor!!!That's stupid. I would accept if that happend when switching off, but not when switching back on!!!Secondary issue: The...
  7. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...

Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...: First issue: When I switch my secondary monitor off, nothing changes good.However, when switching back on, all windows are moved to the primary monitor!!!That's stupid. I would accept if that happend when switching off, but not when switching back on!!!Secondary issue: The...
  8. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Windows 10 detecting primary monitor only when second monitor unplugged

Windows 10 detecting primary monitor only when second monitor unplugged: Whenever i plug in my second monitor it only detects the second monitor despite my primary monitor being plugged in, if i then unplug my second monitor it detects both monitors despite only having the primary one plugged in, any idea what is happening?...
  10. Dual displays: Application windows in second monitor are all moved to primary monitor after...

Dual displays: Application windows in second monitor are all moved to primary monitor after...: I have a dual monitor setup and I use an application (ninjatrader) that includes multiple windows. If I position all the windows where I want them (i.e. so that they're all visible in the right places, non are overlapping etc.), but then power down the monitors at night so...