Windows 10: AppLocker Preventing Admin Account From Creating New Users

Discus and support AppLocker Preventing Admin Account From Creating New Users in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello! I've got a problem. I've been tasked with creating a lightweight build of Windows 10 to run in kiosk mode here at work. I've got kiosk mode... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by mitchewr, May 17, 2016.

1. mitchewr Win User

AppLocker Preventing Admin Account From Creating New Users

Hello!

I've got a problem. I've been tasked with creating a lightweight build of Windows 10 to run in kiosk mode here at work. I've got kiosk mode running well, where the only app the user has access to is Internet Explorer (using a custom shell). However now I'm going through and trying to lock everything down to prevent the user from downloading and installing stuff, accessing C:\, etc.

I've enabled applocker and auto-generated all the rules. I did this for Executables, Windows Installer Files as well as Pre-Packaged Apps however I'm running into a problem. Even though I have all the rules for the pre-packaged apps set to "allow" for the administrators group, it still won't allow me to create new users (any more) when using the built-in Administrator account. When I go to 'Settings -> Users -> Create New User" the mouse wheel spins for a little bit and a window opens and closes instantly but that's all.

I ended up going into System32 Lusrmgr and creating a new admin account that way, but even after adding this new account to the admin group and signing out/in, rebooting, etc. this new admin account can't access any of the pre-packaged apps like the default Administrator account can.

If I am understanding AppLocker and the rules for the pre-packaged apps correctly, since I have all the rules set to "allow" for the "builtin-administrators" group, shouldn't my new admin account have full privileges? Also, why can't the default administrator account create new users from "Settings -> Users"?

Something doesn't seem to be working right to me...or I'm doing something wrong (very possible).

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

mitchewr, May 17, 2016

2. Windows Setup error 0x800704DD-0x90016

I received this error because I was using my user account on windows 7 and not the admin user account. I have 2 logins to prevent hacking, one the user and one the admin. The Windows 10 tool created the USB disk using the admin account.

Mark Hughs, May 17, 2016
  3. SarahKong Win User
    applock.exe what is it

Applocker is a policy that you can implement to prevent users from installing or running software and scripts.

Normally your IT department would activate this using a policy.

If this is a personal machine i would recommend disabling from the services.

The service is called "Application Identity"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/securi...

SarahKong, May 17, 2016
  4. hag433 Win User

mitchewr-

I ran across a similar issue with OS 10 version 1607, we tried this a test user account and we blocked the apps we wanted to but once we tried to log back into the device with our Admin account not only was the app blocked but so was the Start menu for the Admin account who should still have access to it.

We took away the rule that we created and the issue still persisted so I had to reimage the device and did the steps need on a test machine to run things through Group Policy and everything was going great on the test machine but it was on version 1511. So importing the .xml to the test machine with 1607 did not work. So basically we found out you can't apply Group Policies setup on a 1511 machine and import them to a 1607 machine.

We know the Kiosk mode won't work for us because need more than one app on the device and need to broadcast it to a second monitor which you cannot do in Kiosk mode. I was just curious if you have had any luck with AppLocker since your post? Sorry I am not providing a solution to your post just wanted to converse since we are in very similar boats.

Thanks.

hag433, Oct 2, 2016
Thema:

1. AppLocker Preventing Admin Account From Creating New Users - Similar Threads - AppLocker Preventing Admin

2. Create New Admin Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create New Admin Account: If I create new admin account, does my 2 hard disks and my game folder still appear? And can I play game from game folder if it still appear? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-new-admin-account/28b8f2f5-616a-4ebd-9456-4733b18f3b89
  3. Create New Admin Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create New Admin Account: If I create new admin account, does my 2 hard disks and my game folder still appear? And can I play game from game folder if it still appear? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-new-admin-account/28b8f2f5-616a-4ebd-9456-4733b18f3b89
  4. Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken: Windows 10 - latest buildI made a new user account for a friend visiting, and restricted access to some hard drives for that account.All seemed to work fine - the files were restricted for the new user.But back in my Admin/main account when I try to open specfic Windows Apps...
  5. How to create a new admin user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to create a new admin user account: I'm an administrator. I want to create a new administrator account. Control Panel User Account doesn't show an Add User. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-new-admin-user-account/cbf0d022-3fee-4615-8c67-d5f1038ed86d
  6. Creating a User certificate CSR for default admin account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Creating a User certificate CSR for default admin account: Hello, we plan on deploying factory fresh Windows 10 machines to our users direct from manufacturer. They will initially connect to our VPN for 'domain-joining' of their factory fresh laptops, However, our VPN connection requires a user certificate for authentication. How...
  7. Create new User account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create new User account: Split from this thread. Greetings and happy new year to you, Greg, Master of Windows 10! Would you do me the honor or assisting me with any advice how to repair my very LIGHT corrupted user in Win 10. I want to keep all the "links" the user has. My outlook mails mostly...
  8. can't create new user account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't create new user account: win 10 installed on a cow chip labeled ASUS. I can't create a new account. Only have one admin account, The tab to create a new user is missing. Tried to create one through Settings. Get message the snapin cannot be used. All this started when I tried to give read only rights...
  9. How to create new Admin account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to create new Admin account: I am having a horrible problem with uninstalling a printer. Talked to MS and Canon with no remedy. Canon mentioned to create new admin account to create new registry. They feel something is deeply embedded and hanging up printer somehow. Pls advise on how to create new...
  10. Unable to Create New User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to Create New User Account: I have tried creating a new User Account but like the Start Menu, it just won't open. Anyone else had this problem? 15808