Windows 10: Applying (British) language pack - CU

Discus and support Applying (British) language pack - CU in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, after I upgraded to the CU a few weeks ago, I noted that the GUI was US English, but I had had British English applied when using the Anniversary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalchina, Oct 21, 2017.

1. dalchina New Member

Applying (British) language pack - CU

Hi, after I upgraded to the CU a few weeks ago, I noted that the GUI was US English, but I had had British English applied when using the Anniversary Update.

In Settings it looked as if the UK pack was still installed. I removed it, set US English as default, restarted.

I've tried to reapply the British English pack several times, and it almost appears as if that's succeeded- Settings shows it as default.

However: I see 'Airplane Mode' not 'Flight Mode' in the Action Centre, Color Management not Colour Management in the control Panel.

========================================
    When I first look at Settings, Region & Language, I see
    'Searching Windows Update' briefly under English (United Kingdom).

In the Control Panel, Language Options I see

Applying (British) language pack - CU [​IMG]

This suggests it's not really downloading the language pack.

Any ideas? Thanks!

(Oh- obscurely Photos, Edit -> Colour)

Here you can see it appears available in Settings, but Control Panel shows the 'truth'..

:)

dalchina, Oct 21, 2017

2. Chaging the display language of Chinese Windows 10 to English?

I have the same problem. The only available language option under override the default language settings is Zhongwen (mandarin).

I have installed both American English and British English language packs.

Please advise further.

BeardNinja, Oct 21, 2017
  3. tlm2501 Win User
    Settings app crash and Language Pack issues.

What kind of issues are you having with the language pack installation? If you don't know how to install a language pack, proceed as follows:

• Open the Settings app by pressing Win+I on your keyboard or from Start.
    • Select "Time & Language".
    • Select "Region & Language".
    • Choose "Add a Language".
    • Scroll to English, then choose "English (United States)"
    • Select the newly-added language from the list and click "Options".
    • Click "Download language pack" and wait until the installation finishes.
    • When it's done, go back to the language list, select the language and click "Set as default", then remove British English if you don't need it anymore.

tlm2501, Oct 21, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Are you still using CU version 1703 build 15063, or have you upgraded to FCU version 1709 build 16299 already? If the latter, you can download build 16299 language packs ISO from Windows Insider Advanced Downloads page (you need to register as Insider first): Download Windows 10 Insider Preview Advanced

Scroll down the page to find download link:

To manually install a language pack, mount the ISO and run Language Pack Setup (WIN + R > lpksetup.exe). Browse to correct bit version folder and select EN-GB language pack:

5. dalchina New Member
    Hi Kari, thanks, CU.. my specs are correct.

As far as I can make out, having looked at the Windows update log, and from the screenshots, the language pack isn't being downloaded. If I had one, yes, I could install it manually.

Problem is, as you're aware, MSDN subscribers and developers can get them.. I can't find a source, nor can I see why the update fails. And yes, Windows update is working normally, and I've also removed my Notify setting.

dalchina, Oct 21, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    I don't know if it helps or not but fwiw a clean install of CFU displays correct English for all the items you mention such as flight, colour etc. I'd never noticed on previous installs what they were, English or US.

Mooly, Oct 21, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    I have official build 15063 language pack ISO which was downloadable at Windows Insider site until it was replaced with 16299 one. As far as I can tell, as the ISO originates from official Microsoft site and vas legally downloadable until recently, there should be no copyright infringements involved if I upload it to my OneDrive for you to download.

I am currently uploading two quite big files to Azure, that takes my full upload capacity for the next 20 minutes or so. When finished, I will upload the language pack ISO. It will then take about half an hour (it's 4.2 GB). I'll post the link here when done, in about 50 to 60 minutes from now.

8. zbook New Member

zbook, Oct 21, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Thanks! - didn't have this problem with earlier builds, but this is the second CU specific one I've encountered...

dalchina, Oct 21, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    - my base language is US- perhaps 'cos of how I got my Win 8 retail license long ago...

dalchina, Oct 21, 2017
  11. Cliff S New Member
    I got my PC with German language, and did the DISM tricks Kari taught me, but there still were residual parts that came up German, I did a repair install with a ENG-US ISO, and those got cleaned up too.
    Now I have a strictly ENG-US system(except for a German language pack for Office365, and my keyboard set to German)*Smile

Code: --------[ AIDA64 Engineer ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Version AIDA64 v5.92.4300 Benchmark Module 4.3.759-x64 Homepage AIDA64 | The Ultimate System Information, Diagnostics and Benchmark Tool Report Type Report Wizard Computer DESKTOP-MJ521DS (HYRICAN) Generator cliff Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.16299.19 Date 2017-10-22 Time 12:17 --------[ Regional ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Time Zone: Current Time Zone W. Europe Daylight Time Current Time Zone Description (UTC+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna Change To Standard Time Last Sunday of October 03:00:00 Change To Daylight Saving Time Last Sunday of March 02:00:00 Language: Language Name (Native) English Language Name (English) English Language Name (ISO 639) en Country/Region: Country Name (Native) United States Country Name (English) United States Country Name (ISO 3166) US Country Code 1 Currency: Currency Name (Native) US Dollar Currency Name (English) US Dollar Currency Symbol (Native) Currency Symbol (ISO 4217) USD Currency Format 123,456,789.00 Negative Currency Format -123,456,789.00 Formatting: Time Format HH:mm:ss Short Date Format dd-MMM-yy Long Date Format dddd, d MMMM, yyyy Number Format 123,456,789.00 Negative Number Format -123,456,789.00 List Format first, second, third Native Digits 0123456789 Days of Week: Native Name for Monday Monday / Mon Native Name for Tuesday Tuesday / Tue Native Name for Wednesday Wednesday / Wed Native Name for Thursday Thursday / Thu Native Name for Friday Friday / Fri Native Name for Saturday Saturday / Sat Native Name for Sunday Sunday / Sun Months: Native Name for January January / Jan Native Name for February February / Feb Native Name for March March / Mar Native Name for April April / Apr Native Name for May May / May Native Name for June June / Jun Native Name for July July / Jul Native Name for August August / Aug Native Name for September September / Sep Native Name for October October / Oct Native Name for November November / Nov Native Name for December December / Dec Miscellaneous: Calendar Type Gregorian (localized) Default Paper Size US Letter Measurement System Metric Display Languages: LCID 0409h (Active) English (United States)[/quote]

Cliff S, Oct 21, 2017
  12. Kari Win User
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi Kari, thanks. Started to worry at 125kb/s, but it's faster now... although 1/4 of my max download speed, which is quite modest. 30mins..

dalchina, Oct 21, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    That solved it.. airplanes have been banished.

Odd thing at first- after installing the pack (which took more than 30 mins- there was a warning.. it could take a long time), on opening Settings, Language Settings, there was an idler below Add a language, then Settings closed.

I went to the faithful Control Panel, where a choice of US vs UK English was shown as expected, toggled those, a couple of log offs/ons and all was well, and Settings opened ok.

Thanks Kari!

dalchina, Oct 21, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    My laptop's base language was en-us when I got the free upgrade to 10240 because (despite being a UK model) that was the base language of the OEM Win7. I first discovered that language packs disappear on upgrades with the 1511 upgrade. An in-place repair install using English International media for 1511 switched my base language to en-gb, which removed the need for language packs from then on.

Thema:

1. Applying (British) language pack - CU - Similar Threads - Applying British language

2. Language Packs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Language Packs: Unable to install German on win 11. Two different computers one laptop and one desktop Intel I5 and Intel I7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/language-packs/4b07fcc2-9ed7-43c2-98ef-2533392b4cf0
  3. Language Packs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Language Packs: Unable to install German on win 11. Two different computers one laptop and one desktop Intel I5 and Intel I7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/language-packs/4b07fcc2-9ed7-43c2-98ef-2533392b4cf0
  4. Language Pack

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Language Pack: I want to get a language pack from Microsoft Store for additional display language. But for some reason when I want to click get, it does not respond. Usually it went to settings to download but I don't know....
  5. language pack

in Windows 10 Customization
    language pack: I have windows 10. May I install a language pack on my surface pro 4? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/language-pack/945ee503-78f7-4163-974e-c7e10998bd74
  6. Language pack

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Language pack: I have the Polish language pack installed and set Polish as default proofreading language, but each time I want to wrote an e-mail I receive the message that text in Polish is not checked and that I can install the language pack. The proofreading tools work fine on all office...
  7. British english as display language but hidden from the language menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    British english as display language but hidden from the language menu: Hi I recently downloaded windows 10 for my pc and I'm still trying to get through some settings and change them depending on what I like. One of them which I can't seem to find the answer online is if I can have my display language set to (i.e. british english) but "hiding...
  8. Language packs.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Language packs.: So few days ago my pc started automatic repair loop and i tried a lot of things but it didn't work so i took it to the shop and they fixed it and installed windows but problem is that as i speak croatian they put croatian pack but i want english pack and i just want croatian...
  9. Language packs.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language packs.: Hello, so as I had problems with my pc i posted question on answers.microsoft and i got help but nothing worked so i took it to the shop. They fixed it but now I have question. As Croatian is language that I speak I more like that things on my devices phone,pc,etc. are on...
  10. language pack

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    language pack: My software is licensed in Mexico only. How can I download an English language pack? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/language-pack/dc5753af-de23-411c-a1bc-8e0c8cb34081