Windows 10: Apps appear for only one second, then disappear

Discus and support Apps appear for only one second, then disappear in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have Win 10 Pro. I have an account for myself, with Admin privileges. I also have an account called "Kids". In the Kids account, I'm unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by OldGrantonian, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Apps appear for only one second, then disappear

I have Win 10 Pro. I have an account for myself, with Admin privileges. I also have an account called "Kids".

In the Kids account, I'm unable to use the "PC Settings" app, from Start > PC Settings

The app appears momentarily for no more than 1 second, then disappears.

The "Taskbar Settings" app behaves in the same way.

In my own account, with Admin privileges, both of those apps persist after launching.

What action can I take.

Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, Feb 5, 2018
  2. koolking Win User

icons disappear then re-appear then disappear

Hello,

Thanks for replying.

I discovered what the problem was. It was, basically, my TV. I have my TV hooked up to my computer. About a week ago I decided to work it so the TV was an extension of my computer. Not a copy but an extension. I tried several things but nothing seemed to
    work so I put everything back the way it was. I thought I did, anyway. I guess I didn't.

Anyway, I started having the problem about a week after I did all this so I didn't associate it with what was wrong. I have 2 HDMI channels and one PC channel on my TV. I use those HDMI channels much more than the PC channel. Yesterday I discovered that
    when my TV was on the PC channel, the icons on my desktop disappeared. When I turned off the TV, everything went back to normal and I could see the icons. I could see my icons while my TV was on either HDMI channel but not when I had it on the PC channel.
    Somehow I set up the TV as monitor #1 and my desktop as #2. When I discovered this, I changed things back to where my desktop was #1 and the PC channel on my TV was #2--and everything now works OK.

Whew! Sorry for the long explanation but I wanted to make sure I explained everything I could.

Regards,

RS

koolking, Feb 5, 2018
  3. icons disappear then re-appear then disappear

Hi,

To isolate your concern, have you made any changes on the computer prior to this issue?

To check for possible cause of the issue, we suggest that you run
    System File Checker
    and DISM. To run DISM, follow the steps below:

• Click Windows icon.
    • Type CMD, right click and run as administrator.
    • Type the command below:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /checkhealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

If the issue persists, you may log in to the computer in
    Safe mode
    to check if it is caused by a third party application.

Let us know how it goes.

Jesebel Ova, Feb 5, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Apps appear for only one second, then disappear

Hi, the most straightforward option would be to create a new Kids account- it depends how much configuration is needed.

Otherwise, do you have a system restore point you could use, assuming this started happening recently?

You could also try re-registering the Settings app, if it's only that which is affected.
    Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    (search for Settings and follow instructions at the start of the section carefully, under Option 2
    To Reinstall and Re-register Specific App for Current Account )

dalchina, Feb 5, 2018
  5. Thanks @dalchina.

I tried all suggestions with no success.

But a couple of nights ago, a had a very long windows update (an upgrade I think, from 1703 to 1709).

Now, all problems have been solved (including the problem of the Kids account automatically logging out immediately after logging in, which was discussed on another thread).

OldGrantonian, Feb 17, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Assuming you had suffered some Windows corruption, an upgrade (or an in-place upgrade repair install - the same procedure, essentially, but using the same build as you have installed) would resolve it.

It is a useful repair technique to be aware of (there is a tutorial).

Glad your upgrade went smoothly. Whilst these can create major difficulties, one benefit is that some problems are automatically resolved- quite different from e.g. the Win 7 series of service packs.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2018
  7. Thanks @dalchina.

As mentioned on another post, this problem disappeared after a recent Windows Update from 1703 to 1709.

OldGrantonian, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Apps appear for only one second, then disappear

1. Apps appear for only one second, then disappear - Similar Threads - Apps appear second

2. Nameless and iconless process appeared for a split second in Task manager and disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nameless and iconless process appeared for a split second in Task manager and disappeared: As the title says , It literally appeared for a split second and i didn't have the time to check it's location or anything.It happened as i was opening up Malwarebytes for the first time in 2 years , If that might have anything to do with it.I think this was just a legit new...
  3. Nameless and iconless process appeared for a split second in Task manager and disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Nameless and iconless process appeared for a split second in Task manager and disappeared: As the title says , It literally appeared for a split second and i didn't have the time to check it's location or anything.It happened as i was opening up Malwarebytes for the first time in 2 years , If that might have anything to do with it.I think this was just a legit new...
  4. Random "Battery is running low" message appearing for a split-second then disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random "Battery is running low" message appearing for a split-second then disappearing: Hi all,I have a Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 and am running Windows 11. I use this as a school laptop. Every now and then only started occurring recently, a generic Windows "Battery is running low" message appears for a split second, the usual sound plays and then the message...
  5. Titlebar of a window app pops up only at startup for a few seconds before it disappears

in Windows 10 Customization
    Titlebar of a window app pops up only at startup for a few seconds before it disappears: A titlebar of something keeps appearing only once whenever I would turn on my pc at startup. It seemed to started happen randomly and I’m unsure of what it is. Whenever it pops up, theres no application of it that appears in the taskbar and the titlebar also doesnt seem to...
  6. Command Prompt window appears for a split second and disappears periodically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command Prompt window appears for a split second and disappears periodically: Please check the attached image where a command prompt window appears for a split second and then disappears. This happens repeatedly, and there is no file by the name 'tuhijra' in the location shown in the image. Anyone facing similar issues?...
  7. Camera only records one second long video

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Camera only records one second long video: I'm using the default camera and I recorded a 10 minute long video and when I hit stop recording the video was only one second long. When I stopped recording the timer was at 10 minutes I don't care about my video but is there anyway to fix this? submitted by /u/DJN220088...
  8. Ghost icons appear for split second then disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Ghost icons appear for split second then disappear: [img] This keeps flickering periodically on my screen and I cannot for the love of everything find anything about why or how to fix it. It is essentially a picture or clone of part of my desktop icons. I checked for updates. Windows version 1909 169014
  9. Microsoft apps appear blurry on only one screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft apps appear blurry on only one screen: I have a 13" Dell laptop on Windows 10 and a 22" Dell external monitor connected to the laptop via HDMI. I have the monitor set to 100% resolution (as set in Settings --> Display), and the laptop set to 125% resolution. This causes Microsoft apps, like Outlook, Word, etc. to...
  10. Apps appear for one second and then disappears.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps appear for one second and then disappears.: hi, apps installed from windows 10 app store when run,appear for one second and then disappears. all normal softwares work properly. sfc /scannow and chkdsk does not fixes this problem. how to fix this problem. best regards. 144459

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 background appears then disappears version 1909