Windows 10: Apps default to full screen after Fall Update

Discus and support Apps default to full screen after Fall Update in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since I installed the fall update I have a number of store apps and games which now revert to full screen on being started instead of the size last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Hairy Scot, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Apps default to full screen after Fall Update

Since I installed the fall update I have a number of store apps and games which now revert to full screen on being started instead of the size last used.

Any ideas anyone?

:)

Hairy Scot, Oct 24, 2017

2. can't change windows default apps after last update in windows 10

After Fall Creator's update, many APP defaults changes. Word 2016 defaults Wordpad.

GaryRatajski, Oct 24, 2017
  3. My computer is stuck like this when I'm back at safe mode and normal +

It's seems that my computer fixed the problem, I'll fix the network problem..

default-screen, Oct 24, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Apps default to full screen after Fall Update

Brink, Oct 24, 2017
  5. Hairy Scot, Oct 24, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. You might see if toggling tablet mode on/off may cause the apps to no longer open full screen by default.

Brink, Oct 24, 2017
  7. I cannot turn on tablet mode.
    When I reboot it gets turned off because I have multiple displays.

Update:
    I switched multi-screen to duplicate and then fiddled around with switching tablet mode on and off.
    Then set the problem games to my desired size for my "super-wide" Dell monitor and rebooted.
    That seems to have fixed things.

Thanks for point me in the right direction Shawn. *chuckle

Hairy Scot, Oct 24, 2017
  8. Apps default to full screen after Fall Update

Unfortunately the problem has returned.

However I have to say that this is the only issue I have experienced since installing the fall update.
    One very positive result has been that boot up time has been substantially reduced. It had been getting so bad that I was on the point of doing a fresh install but the update has removed the need for that.

Hairy Scot, Oct 25, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Well, I suppose if that's the only buggy issue, it's not too bad.

Brink, Oct 25, 2017
  10. Where are the store Apps stored?
    Would it be possible to use the properties to control how they open like we can with standard apps?

Hairy Scot, Oct 25, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The packages for the Store apps are stored in the "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" protected folder.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use the same properties trick on them though.

If you haven't already, you might see if resetting the affected apps may sort them.

*Arrow Reset App in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Brink, Oct 25, 2017
  12. Unfortunately that doesn't work. *Sad

Hairy Scot, Oct 25, 2017
  13. Apps default to full screen after Fall Update

The culprit was "Windows Defender notification icon" which actually appears twice in the Task Manager Start-up display despite the fact that I have de-activated Windows Defender.
    I have disabled both entries and that has solved the problem.

Hairy Scot, Nov 1, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd that would cause the apps to open full screen. *Confused

Brink, Nov 1, 2017
  15. Indeed it is.

I think what may have been happening was that the position/size of the apps windows was not being saved.
    In any event, I went through a binary search process of elimination; disabling non-windows services via config.msc and then when I established that none of those were the problem I went through the same process with the Start-up entries in Task Manager eventual narrowing it down to those two entries.

I will admit that my first reaction on seeing them in Task manager was to kick them out since I thought there was little point in their being there since I had killed Windows Defender.
    But, being a MF Software Dinosaur, I just had to verify things. *chuckle

Hairy Scot, Nov 1, 2017
Thema:

Apps default to full screen after Fall Update

1. Apps default to full screen after Fall Update - Similar Threads - Apps default full

2. Screen Temperature falls down when full screen mode is entered in some apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen Temperature falls down when full screen mode is entered in some apps: So I've been facing this issue since I've bought my laptop. Whenever I run Netflix for Windows in full screen the colour temperature falls and the screen turns bluish screenshots attached. I'm facing this problem in two other apps, viz. Films and TV and Prime Video for...
  3. Default full screen in edge & explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default full screen in edge & explorer: Hello. Can anyone guide me how (if possible) to open file explorer and microsoft edge by default in full screen and not use f11 everytime to do it? If developers are answering and if it is not possible yet, is microsoft working on it ?...
  4. Apps freeze in full screen mode after being updated to 1809

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps freeze in full screen mode after being updated to 1809: All my apps worked perfectly under the 1803 build. After being updated to 1809 they freeze in full screen mode. Under 1803 you could get around this by checking the 'Disable Full Screen Optimizations' on the compatibility tab on the exe properties but looks like the 1809...
  5. cannot get full screen after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot get full screen after update: Every time I get a Windows update the screen size shrinks and fills only part of the screen. I have tried many fixes but cannot get full screen...
  6. Screen tearing on games after Windows Fall Creator's Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen tearing on games after Windows Fall Creator's Update: Hi. I realised that after I updated to Windows 10 Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.19), I received screen tearing when I played on games like Garry's Mod. This had not happened before the update, and I now have to turn V-Sync on to play games. I updated my graphics driver with no...
  7. INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...

in Browsers and Email
    INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...: Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought it was more browser than OS related. Anyway, after last week's v1709 update, CCleaner has been deleting a file it never used to. C:\Users\UserId\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\deprecated.cookie It shows up...
  8. Windows Store and Apps not working after fall Creators update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Store and Apps not working after fall Creators update: Greetings all, new to the forum. I got the fall creators update and it looked like everything installed correctly. It installed so well (Or so I thought) that I deleted my windows.old folder on my C: drive. Now the kicker is, I noticed that the Windows Store and some of the...
  9. Screen is Broken after the Windows Creators Fall update

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen is Broken after the Windows Creators Fall update: Don't know whats going on... I tried updating to the Fall update a few times... Only to get my screen to look like this... Every single time lol and not sure how to fix this... I had to go back to previous updates in order to fix this issue. [img] [img] 96528
  10. Screen tearing on games after Windows Fall Creator's Update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen tearing on games after Windows Fall Creator's Update: Hi. I realised that after I updated to Windows 10 Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.19), I received screen tearing when I played on games like Garry's Mod. This had not happened before the update, and I now have to turn V-Sync on to play games. I updated to the latest graphics...