Windows 10: Apps Immediately Crash

Discus and support Apps Immediately Crash in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I've run into this problem where I'm offline and I open a modern app, I might see the app for a moments, but then immediately closes or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by roystreet, Mar 19, 2016.

1. roystreet Win User

Apps Immediately Crash

Hi Everyone,
    I've run into this problem where I'm offline and I open a modern app, I might see the app for a moments, but then immediately closes or crashes. It doesn't seem to happen to the mall/calendar app that comes with Windows 10.

I've noticed though that sometimes after I connect to the internet later on the a the app will then work. The app doesn't use the internet.

Sometimes I may need to reboot and connect to the Internet, then open the app and it works. I've tested with just reboots and that doesn't always work.

The only thing I can guess is it's trying to pong the mothership
    Apps Immediately Crash [​IMG]
    . It happens to free and paid apps. But it doesn't appear to happen to any apps that

This has happened even after a fresh install of the OS. I've previously uninstall/reinstall the app and it will still do it. It doesn't always do it, so I can't find consistency.

:)

roystreet, Mar 19, 2016
  2. SirMetal Win User

Many Apps Crash Immediately on Startup

I, too, have issues similar to this.

Whenever I open IE, it will revert back to the homescreen when I try to open a new tab or load a website.

The Music & Videos hub also reverts back to the homescreen as soon as I press play.

In addition, if I try to open an email using Hotmail, it will just revert back to the homescreen.

Other apps randomly do this, too. For example, Springy—a Formspring client for Windows Phone 7—automatically reverts back to the homescreen as soon as I try to log in as a new user.

I am the owner of an Omnia 7 and it has been flawless all week (I've not long bought it) but this is just silly; I have already tried resetting the device through the settings and the operating system is at the latest version (7.0.7392.0).

SirMetal, Mar 19, 2016
  3. Many Apps Crash Immediately on Startup

I have my phone connected to Hotmail and 2 Exchange ActiveSync accounts...

Every time I boot any of these apps, they immediately crash and send me back to the home screen:
    * Any email account
    * Settings | email & accounts
    * People

When I boot my calendar, it's blank.

It seems like the database is corrupt or something. How do I reset/fix it without resetting the entire phone? I have some pictures I want to upload to SkyDrive (can't, it's disabled) or email off the phone (can't, no email stuff works).

Thanks.

Anonymous11903, Mar 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Apps Immediately Crash

Hi, can you confirm that your Win 10 has previously worked correctly, and advise how long you've had this problem?

You could try this:
    1. manually check for universal app updates
    Store - Check for App Updates in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Store Cache - Clear and Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Otherwise:
    If it's recently occurred you could try using a system restore point, if you have system restore enabled.

Otherwise, you could check if the problem still exists after a clean boot (i.e. is there a conflict with sthg you've installed)
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

If you still have the same problem, try again in Safe Mode.
    Undo any changes made to date.

If you have the same problem in Safe Mode, then try
    At an admin command prompt (windows key + X, click command prompt (admin) type
    sfc /scannow
    and wait for the procedure to finish - takes a while.

Check if the problem persists.
    Post back as appropriate.
    Good luck..

dalchina, Mar 19, 2016
  5. roystreet Win User
    Hello, dalchina, Windows 10 worked a time before this happened. Like I said, not enough consistency to put my fingers on the culprit.

I check for updates. Even the store app will crash sometimes and you'll have to reopen it.

I have cleared the store crash and just when it appears it might've helped, it does it again
    . So whatever the problem is, it's not really going away.

Is it possible that the apps are designed to ping Microsoft, possibly for credential verification? If it has a problem doing that, but then the apps stop working. I think it's more of an issue pertaining to that.

It won't do it every time I open it and it will do it after a pretty fresh install of Windows. Before I even install much on the machine.

Last night solitaire that comes with Windows 10 stopped working, but I bet if I go online for a minute or so before I open solitaire that it will start working again

roystreet, Mar 19, 2016
  6. roystreet Win User
    Yep, solitaire now works...For some reason after I go online for maybe 30 seconds or so

Now, I'm NOT logging into some gaming account, so it doesn't have to do with that

roystreet, Mar 19, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Ah- didn't read your last para of 1st post properly.. "This has happened even after a fresh install of the OS." - sorry. Hmm.

So what happens if you completely disconnect the internet?

Is there anything of interest in the Event Log (Event Viewer) or the Reliability History?

dalchina, Mar 19, 2016
  8. roystreet Win User

Apps Immediately Crash

dalchina -- I do see all sorts of issues in the Event Viewer. I see a multitude of critical errors that go from "SharpShell" to "Apps". The Apps one is one I focused on more. Part of the general tab shows the name of the modern app & that it failed to activate. I'm wondering if some of this has to do with permissions?
    I did look at this article that may give some incite on this:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2798317

...But why would it start to work after I go online?? I still think Windows 10 apps want to ""phone home"

roystreet, Mar 22, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, basic question- if you did a new install, how could permissions have been changed?

What does happen if you disconnect the internet? Or use Safe Mode (without networking)

=================
    However, if you think permissions were changed somehow, then try this:

Tweaking.com's repair tool.
    This includes a number of permissions repairs.

I would strongly recommend before trying relatively random repairs (i.e. no guarantee, just a try it and see approach) that you use disk imaging to back up your current system.

The repair tool is cautious as it does take you through a series of stages before you attempt any repair.
    I would also strongly recommend you select only 1 or two repairs at a time and try that rather than letting everything run.

Some users have also reported the old Powershell command used to repair apps until MS broke this last November (though not in this specific scenario), however in general as far as I know these could still break apps leaving @ signs before them in the Start Menu as a typical symptom.

Again, with a disk image backup you could try that.

dalchina, Mar 22, 2016
  10. roystreet Win User
    My thought of permissions comes by way of investigating many other possibilities for the problems I'm having & none so far have changed anything. Also, by what the event viewer states about apps having issues pertaining to permissions, it leads me to consider permissions. I'm not 100% how permissions would've changed, but I'm open to they could have.

I have another thread or so where I do talk about this as well as Windows 10 regularly asking for credentials & regularly having to "fix my account" in the Windows 10 mail app. This adds to my questioning of permissions. I now use a local admin account & it no longer asks for credentials to be verified, but the other problems (eg app crashing & fixing email accounts) still persist.

Everything works offline fine...For a little while...Then it needs to go online for a small amount of time, (maybe a few minutes) open up the modern apps & you will usually see them magically work again. Then you can go offline & then for maybe days they work just fine & do not immediately crash. These issues really only pertain to Windows 10 apps, not regularly desktop apps.

Note: When I'm going online, I'm not downloading any updates, just going online. I don't even have to browse the web...The only thing I can really boil it down to is MS wants these apps to ping their servers...Maybe data it's collected. I imagine if it's a free app that includes advertising that they'd want to go back online to download a new ad. Those are just some of my guesses.

roystreet, Mar 22, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, just a thought, if you go to Settings, Privacy, General, do you happen to see a red 'Some settings are managed by your organisation'?

And if you open the Action Centre, is your Location tile 'on' (lighter colour)?

I've noticed sometimes I'm asked to enter my password to confirm my details. No idea why. I don't use the universal mail app.

dalchina, Mar 22, 2016
  12. roystreet Win User
    I have changed my settings so that now it does state 'Some settings are managed by your organisation' because I want to choose when updates are coming down. This was a very recent change, like a month or so ago. I've had the problem before & after this recent change. The location setting is off, but I know it has been on in the past. But I never experimented with it on to see if it has the same app problems while it was on...Is that what you were thinking of?

roystreet, Mar 22, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Apps Immediately Crash

I'm aware that certain things are sensitive to Location being off, and also that Location being off can be indicative of other problems. Similarly the 'Some settings' can be indicative.

I would suggest you need to get back to the default condition - where you don't have 'Some settings' displayed and Location is on.

Still wondering what happens when you launch apps in Safe Mode or with no internet connection, but best to resolve the above- i.e. get back to a state equivalent to that after a clean install when you shouldn't have this issue.

dalchina, Mar 23, 2016
  14. roystreet Win User
    I may try your idea & test it with the location setting on. Since I've had this problem for a long while before I stopped it from automatically updating, enabling it to do so won't help me any.

Remember, it has done this even after a fresh install of Windows 10 -- Everything wiped out, not just a refresh.

Now, I haven't tested it using safe mode, but 90% of the time I start Windows with no internet connection, I'm not online most of the time.

Dalchina, I appreciate your thoughts. I'm at a loss of why this happens. It can be quite frustrating *Sad You have given me some stuff to consider though *Smile

These problems have caused me to move over to mostly using "non-Windows 10" apps...The old reliable ones. It's just more difficult because modern apps take advantage of the touch capabilities more than the old apps do. I love using touch on my Surface Pro, it's an excellent machine.

roystreet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Apps Immediately Crash

1. Apps Immediately Crash - Similar Threads - Apps Immediately Crash

2. Video editor and photo app immediately crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video editor and photo app immediately crashing: I had no issues, this commuter is not even a year old and this is terrible. Out of the blue. I have windows 11 that came with this computer. this absolutely suck. This needs a resolution. Repair, reset, none of the options work....
  3. Video editor and photo app immediately crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video editor and photo app immediately crashing: I had no issues, this commuter is not even a year old and this is terrible. Out of the blue. I have windows 11 that came with this computer. this absolutely suck. This needs a resolution. Repair, reset, none of the options work....
  4. Microsoft Apps Crash Immediately

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Apps Crash Immediately: Hello! I've been having a problem with my Windows Apps for a bit... I noticed that i had a huge unused file that was clogging up the space on my ssd, turns out it was some forza horizon 4 uninstall residue, so naturally I decide to remove it. After around 2 hours trying to...
  5. Microsoft Apps Crash Immediately

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Apps Crash Immediately: Hello! I've been having a problem with my Windows Apps for a bit... I noticed that i had a huge unused file that was clogging up the space on my ssd, turns out it was some forza horizon 4 uninstall residue, so naturally I decide to remove it. After around 2 hours trying to...
  6. Microsoft Apps Crash Immediately

7. Immediate crash on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Immediate crash on startup: I’ve been experiencing this very annoying problem where I downloaded minecraft windows 10 edition and when i open it it immediately crashes. Ive tried almost everything. different account, restarting pc, updating everything, drivers, and nothing seems to work. every other...
  8. Minecraft crashes immediately

in Windows 10 Customization
    Minecraft crashes immediately: Hi. A few months ago I was having trouble with some apps on my pc crashing immediately and not showing up. Recently my Minecraft for Windows 10 has been showing up on my taskbar and in Start but crashes after a few seconds. I tried to repair it in settings but it would just...
  9. GoDot crashes immediately?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GoDot crashes immediately?: When I create a project with OpenGL 3.0 it crashes immediately. With 2.0, however, it loads immediately. My computer supports OpenGL 4.5 or the graphics card driver has 4.5 installed. Then why isn't it working? GoDot stürzt sofort ab?
  10. Apps from Windows Store open and crash immediately

Apps from Windows Store open and crash immediately: I don't know when this happened but, apps that I got from the Windows store are not working. Mainly Twitter, Facebook, and Facebook Messenger. Other apps like Netflix seem to be working just fine. I don't know what caused this. I've tried resetting the windows store app...