Windows 10: Apps Menu Sorting

Discus and support Apps Menu Sorting in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I decided to create a folder in the apps menu for all of my games. I moved all of my game shortcuts from my desktop into the new Games folder I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SoFine409, Dec 14, 2015.

1. SoFine409 Win User

Apps Menu Sorting

I decided to create a folder in the apps menu for all of my games. I moved all of my game shortcuts from my desktop into the new Games folder I discovered that if there was already an entry for a game in another folder that the new entry would not be displayed. This is not just be title but by the target of the shortcut.

That's all well and good but now I'm puzzled by the order in which the entries are displayed. I would have thought that they would be sorted alphabetically but they are not. Notice that "Crysis 1" is between "Origin" and "Steam."

Apps Menu Sorting [​IMG]

Any thoughts on how to make the system sort them by name?

:)

SoFine409, Dec 14, 2015

2. How to sort apps in start menu?

2017 is ending and apparentely it is still not possible, which sucks big time.

I'm in IT and I need to get multiple recovery and testing apps and to try multiple applications and the infinite alphabetical listing is useless. I can't possibly remember the names of all applications I keep on my computer and I need to group them by use.
    Even worse, some systems will end up with several entries spread out on the menu (FreeFileSynch).

The tile system in the start menu is no help either since it takes so much space.

Windows is fast becoming a toy OS.

JorgeTorrendell, Dec 14, 2015
  3. How to sort apps in start menu?

Thank you for quick answers. I am referring to all apps. To bad that is not possible because in win 8.1 it was. I hope they will make it possible in one of the future updates. Thank you!

IvanŠvaganović, Dec 14, 2015
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Apps Menu Sorting

Yeah, Crysis1 seems to be an oddball. There must be something else to it. Maybe you want to have a closer look. Else everything seems OK.

5. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi whs. I tried appending an "A" in front of it, I tried changing the name to XXXX; all with no change in the order. Hmmm, very strange. Maybe I'll see if I can find where this list is kept in the registry. Lets hope some else has an idea.

SoFine409, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Apps Menu Sorting

1. Apps Menu Sorting - Similar Threads - Apps Menu Sorting

2. how to sort the start menu in windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to sort the start menu in windows 11.: i want to sort the start menu and make it full screen! I like to sort the desktop icons like windows 10 . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sort-the-start-menu-in-windows-11/064f5970-4a5c-4665-b57d-a4ae377d8e22
  3. Unable to sort and rationalize the Start Menu in Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to sort and rationalize the Start Menu in Win10: Just installed Win10 in a newly built computer and I can't rationalize my Start menu. Some items can't be moved into appropriate subject folders, and some bloatware items can't be deleted or even moved to a Bloatware folder where they can be ignored . Is there a way to take...
  4. Unable to sort and rationalize the Start Menu in Win10

Unable to sort and rationalize the Start Menu in Win10: Just installed Win10 in a newly built computer and I can't rationalize my Start menu. Some items can't be moved into appropriate subject folders, and some bloatware items can't be deleted or even moved to a Bloatware folder where they can be ignored . Is there a way to take...
  5. Start menu Icons not sorting recent Apps icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu Icons not sorting recent Apps icons: Hello! My newly installed apps icons not showing ON TOP to start, only sorting alphabetically... Figured out this problem happening from this morning... tried to change some settings on 'Start' but not working, Please Help !! here is the picture[ATTACH]...
  6. All Apps sorting issue

All Apps sorting issue: Greetings all. I have a couple of persistent irritations with my Win10 Pro setup that I can find no remedy for. Posting on various MS forums in the past for other issues has generally only elicited a 'run sfc /scannow', followed by no further comment. So, I'm bypassing them...
  7. Start menu Crashing (sort of)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu Crashing (sort of): hkVjJlqI5fo Having an issue with my Start menu in Windows 10 that nobody else on the internet seems to have. Basically, pressing certain buttons makes that menu crash. So does searches. Extremely annoying. Any help greatly appreciated. 38760
  8. Is it possible sort the start menu tiles alphabetically?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it possible sort the start menu tiles alphabetically?: This has been a long standing issue for me in Windows 10 so I am wondering if there is a trick or some 3rd party program that will allow you to sort a section of tiles alphabetically like you would do with a folder in explorer. For example, I have a tile folder called Games...
  9. Start menu not sorting and tooltip not right

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not sorting and tooltip not right: New installation of windows 10. Not really liking the start menu - all apps - alphabetical sorting, but I also noticed that it is not actually in alphabetical order if you rename the shortcut. For example I renamed a shortcut from "Run <Shortcut name>" to just "<shortcut...
  10. Sorting the all apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting the all apps list?: OK. I know how to "go to file location" and some of the other basic tips, but I am still having two issues with the Windows 10 start menu after several hours of searching reading and pulling hair out. 1) A few of my apps (programs I installed, not apps from the store) were...