Windows 10: Apps missing from start menu and taskbar after update to build 1709

Discus and support Apps missing from start menu and taskbar after update to build 1709 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have recently updated my Fujitsu Lifebook A555 to the fall creator's update. While the upgrade itself was seemingly not problematic, many of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Blewatter, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Blewatter Win User

Apps missing from start menu and taskbar after update to build 1709

I have recently updated my Fujitsu Lifebook A555 to the fall creator's update. While the upgrade itself was seemingly not problematic, many of my installed apps have gone missing on the start menu and the taskbar. I have searched for them using the Cortana button, to no avail. I have no idea what has happened. This is only my windows store apps. Chrome, Office, iTunes all work fine.

UPDATE: I clicked on an ad in my start menu which took me to the windows store, but it still doesn't appear on my taskbar, despite being an open app.

:)

Blewatter, Oct 20, 2017
  2. FarmKid92 Win User

Incredibly slow boot time after Fall Creators Update

Hi, I have an Asus S400CA that I can't get to work properly with build 1709. I'm currently fully updated on build 1607 with the last update (KB4057142) just installed today. I had to roll back to 1607 from 1709 when the Fall update first became available
    as my laptop would get stuck on a black screen with the loading cursor after logging in. I delayed the update for a while to see if there was a fix, but at this point I still have the same problem. If I leave my computer for the better part of a day after
    logging in, my desktop background and taskbar eventually appear, though icons and shortuts are missing and the Taskbar and Start Menu aren't usable. Roll back to 1607 and everything is fine again. Starting in Safe Mode doesn't help either. What is slowing
    my computer down so much with build 1709?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

FarmKid92, Oct 20, 2017
  3. MS Designer Desktop - simply a disgrace. Hotkeys no longer work and massive lag when typing using Win10 build 1709

"I can also only conclude that build 1709 is a half baked beta that has been released far too soon. Thousands of people with with problems, such as start menu not working, right clicking on taskbar items broken, apps
    vanishing after 1709 install, Firefox removed for no reason after 1709 install and having to sign in and out to get basic functionality . . ."

From the initial release, then 1511, then 1607 then 1703 and now 1709 - almost all of those things were reported by someone publicly in each release. Apps missing from start menu and taskbar after update to build 1709 :) The fixes for start menus not working, resetting / registering
    Edge to make it work again, etc... Been out there since 2015.

Now - Firefox being removed, that's relatively new (and unseen by me personally) at least.

Shenan Stanley, Oct 20, 2017
  4. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Oct 20, 2017
  5. Blewatter Win User
    I have tried what you suggested, and it didn't work. Windows Store is still not showing up on the start menu, on my taskbar, nor on cortana search. Neither are any of my windows store installed apps

Blewatter, Oct 20, 2017
  6. davidhk Win User
    Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found...............

Open elevated command prompt > type sfc /scannow > Enter.

davidhk, Oct 20, 2017
  7. davidhk Win User
    5 day have passed. Not sure if you have the issue resolved or not.
    If still unresolved, please take a look at this article/tutorial..................
    Microsoft details workarounds for Fall Creators Update missing apps bug

https://www.windowscentral.com/micro...ssing-apps-bug

It has several suggestions to resolve the problem.
    Have a look at it.

davidhk, Oct 25, 2017
  8. Blewatter Win User

Yes, this thread is solved now, I went back to build 1703 and that has fixed it completely now. 1709 is a good beta build, but it should have been released later.

Blewatter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Apps missing from start menu and taskbar after update to build 1709 - Similar Threads - Apps missing start

2. Apps missing from search and start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps missing from search and start menu: All my apps, excel, word, outlook, vpn, are missing from start menu and search.Some apps however, are still around, etc: discord / line / netflix.I've tried every solution I googled but none of them works.I did:1....
  3. Apps missing from search and start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps missing from search and start menu: All my apps, excel, word, outlook, vpn, are missing from start menu and search.Some apps however, are still around, etc: discord / line / netflix.I've tried every solution I googled but none of them works.I did:1....
  4. Apps missing from search and start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. missing start menu / taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    missing start menu / taskbar: Hi. I purchased a cheap fanless PCHYerobox from Amazon that came preloaded with Windows 10. I installed software and configured the taskbar the way I liked it and was happy with the performance. One day the taskbar / start menu disappeared and I don't know how to get it back....
  6. Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar: Hello, I am running windows 10 and when I open the start menu to search for a program, it will not open. When I click an app or file from within the menu, it says the following: "The item you selected is unavailable. I might have been moved, renamed, or removed..."...
  7. App icons missing from Start menu

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    App icons missing from Start menu: [ATTACH] The thumbnails on some apps downloaded from microsoft store are missing. I tried reinstalling these apps. But the problem is not solved. Moreover I cannot download messenger app from microsoft store. How can I solve this problems....
  8. App icon missing from Start Menu after app reset.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    App icon missing from Start Menu after app reset.: Edit : Ok, now it turns out that my entire game is "missing" from my PC, the store doesn't consider it installed, even though it is. And I can't find it in my programs. The store is only prompting me to redownload it again, even though it is downloaded and is taking 70GB+ of...
  9. power options missing from start menu after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    power options missing from start menu after update: After updating windows my power options are gone from my start menu and when I put gpedit.msc i get nothing, how can i fix this? I am not very literate when it gets too complicated and this is for me I have tried the gpedit.msc and it is obiviously not on my computer because...
  10. WUDFSvc.dll Missing in Build 1709

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WUDFSvc.dll Missing in Build 1709: I have a Samsung Galaxy 4 cellphone. When plugged into the USB port, I keep getting this Warning in my Event Viewer. The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_04E8&PID_6860&MS_COMP_MTP&SAMSUNG_Android\6&5f6eb81&2&0000. I have discovered that the...