Windows 10: Are background 'apps' downloads considered an update?

Discus and support Are background 'apps' downloads considered an update? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The CBS log displays that a download has taken place in the background referencing the various apps. By coincidence or plan this desktop shut down... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Rose W, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Rose W Win User

Are background 'apps' downloads considered an update?

The CBS log displays that a download has taken place in the background referencing the various apps.
    By coincidence or plan this desktop shut down instantly at the time that apps download action ended.
    At restart the apps download started again. The log included a record of last restart time.

I was in the middle of responding to an email and the system just went black, stop,restart. If it had been a specific task this would be really irritating.

There have been stop/restart incidents at the same time frame about once a week and these background downloads have taken place at that time when viewing the reliability chart.
    I have the regular updates configured to ask for a manual restart.

The irony of this is I'm not using the store or the apps but the downloads arrive anyway.

:)

Rose W, Apr 14, 2016
  2. hadimassa Win User

UNWANTED auto-connection to WLAN

You really have to consider every app running in the background.

hadimassa, Apr 14, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    What files are considered as "Personal Files"?

Good question. 'Personal files' means the files you store in your user account. More specifically, it's the contents of these folders:

Desktop*

Documents

Downloads

Music

Pictures

Saved Games

Searches

Videos

There may be additional folders I'm not aware of that are also included in 'Personal folders.'

*What you see on your desktop is a combination of 3 'desktop' folders: the desktop folder in your personal account, the desktop folder in the Public account, and Windows' own desktop folder.

Although the 'Keep personal files' option works, it's always a good idea to backup your personal files before making major changes to your computer. (It's a good idea to backup every day regardless.)

Nobody knows what you have on your D drive.

BulldogXX, Apr 14, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello *Smile

The short answer is yes, apps do update and even though you may not use the store there are several apps that come with Windows 10 that automatically update such as Photos, Mail, Calendar, Maps, etc.

If you go into the Windows Store you can select settings and then turn off automatic updates. You just need to remember to manually trigger the updates every now and again.

The settings option is found when you click on your User Picture.

Are background 'apps' downloads considered an update? [​IMG]

Turn off the Automatic update:

Are background 'apps' downloads considered an update? [​IMG]

philc43, Apr 14, 2016
  5. Rose W Win User
    Re: 'If you go into the Windows Store you can select settings'

On this desktop I do not have a Microsoft Account. I do not log in. This is the carry over settings from the Win 7 upgrade to Win 10. Initially, I turned off all the tiles on the desktop at the very first Win10 install. I don't think I have any access to the store. If there was a turn off for Store I would have turned it off last summer.
    The laptop requires a log in and its a Microsoft Account but no tiles on the desktop view either.

I do use the calculator if that is a 'store' app otherwise those apps are not on my list of things to use*Biggrin.

Rose W, Apr 15, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Are background 'apps' downloads considered an update? - Similar Threads - Are background 'apps'

2. New app and background I didn't download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New app and background I didn't download: I logged onto my computer and realized that my background was changed, and I have a new app that is called "learn more about this picture" and it has a camera on it. I am worried about this, I don't know if it is a virus or if it is just an update. Can anybody help me out and...
  3. New app and background I didn't download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New app and background I didn't download: I logged onto my computer and realized that my background was changed, and I have a new app that is called "learn more about this picture" and it has a camera on it. I am worried about this, I don't know if it is a virus or if it is just an update. Can anybody help me out and...
  4. Downloaded photos are considered Type: File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloaded photos are considered Type: File: When I download pictures, they are automatically converted and downloaded as File instead of a readable picture format. Thank you for any help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloaded-photos-are-considered-type-file/345ee17a-8c74-452a-b076-5af3eee2996a
  5. Downloaded photos are considered Type: File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloaded photos are considered Type: File: When I download pictures, they are automatically converted and downloaded as File instead of a readable picture format. Thank you for any help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloaded-photos-are-considered-type-file/345ee17a-8c74-452a-b076-5af3eee2996a
  6. Downloaded photos are considered Type: File

7. background downloads

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    background downloads: i have data caps, so i have metered connection turned on for windows 10, but so far this month windows downloaded almost 10 gigs in the background, im assuming it was windows 11, since i have the this computer isnt compatible with windows 11 thing showing up on windows update...
  8. downloading in the background?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    downloading in the background?: Hello. I keep seeing my gigs being used even though I am not doing anything on my computer. I have already done the following: 1. Shut off background apps 2. Turned off automatic download of apps 3. Turned off live tiles 4. Turned off automatic updates for my...
  9. Background apps

Background apps: Some background apps appear even when turned off the only thing that stop them from appearing is disable superfetch or to open the apps and close them or end them from task manager. Is there are way I can stop these apps from appearing in task manager? 48841
  10. Considering update to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Considering update to Windows 10: Hello! This is my desktop under Windows 8.1. I wonder whether I would be able to set up the desktop the same way in Windows 10. [img] 64248