Windows 10: are DXF files supported by window 10

Discus and support are DXF files supported by window 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have been sent a .dxf file for Auto cad or Auto sketch. I have reset the file association to .dxf in windows 10, but the system will not recognize... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Hwalker1, May 11, 2016.

1. Hwalker1 Win User

are DXF files supported by window 10

I have been sent a .dxf file for Auto cad or Auto sketch. I have reset the file association to .dxf in windows 10, but the system will not recognize the format when I try to open it and insists in using window default app instead, which I have never used.

Autocad and Autosketch are industry standard software that I have used itf or the last 30 years. Is windows 10 not compatible with the file format? They always worked in Win 7.
    It tries to use Microsft 3d builder instead, but this will not run .dxf files
    3d builder is the default app. It is supposed to read .dxf files but will not do so.
    Does anyone know how to make windows 10 recognize .dxf files?

:)

Hwalker1, May 11, 2016

2. Problem with 3D Builder for Windows 10

Michael,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your question, and sorry for the issues you are having.

DXF files can be both 2D and 3D. Currently 3D Builder only supports opening 3D DXF files, though we are looking at adding 2D support in future.

Do you know if your file is 2D or 3D? If it is 2D you may need to find a different tool to use, or try and find another file format version of the file you currently have.

Also, it is important to note that 3D Builder does not save to .DXF. Currently we only save to .3MF, .STL, .OBJ, and .PLY. So you will not be able to save to .DXF if it does open up in 3D Builder.

CBGrant [MSFT], May 11, 2016
  3. Unable to open the files on 3D builder.

Hello,

does 3D Builder dropped the dfx, 3ds and collade file support? I cant open the files anymore!

Original title:3D Builder - 3ds, collada and dxf support

blackearth7, May 11, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

There's been issues with Autocad for years. What I'd do is get a Viewer installed and check the file with it. Several pages about a Viewer here:
    autocad viewer at DuckDuckGo

Berton, May 11, 2016
Thema:

1. are DXF files supported by window 10 - Similar Threads - are DXF files

2. I Export a dxf file, but the next one defaults to dwg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Export a dxf file, but the next one defaults to dwg: When I export a dxf, then go to export another, the next one is exporting as a dwg, and I need to change the dropdown back to dxf. Export that, and the next one defaults to dwg again. Can this be fixed?This is from Sketchup, a 3d modeling program....
  3. I Export a dxf file, but the next one defaults to dwg

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Export a dxf file, but the next one defaults to dwg: When I export a dxf, then go to export another, the next one is exporting as a dwg, and I need to change the dropdown back to dxf. Export that, and the next one defaults to dwg again. Can this be fixed?This is from Sketchup, a 3d modeling program....
  4. I Export a dxf file, but the next one defaults to dwg

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 Support

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Support: Good morning, Can someone give our office a call on 02 9891 5222 urgently as we do need urgent support on Windows 10 system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-support/bbd9fabd-7f56-4ae6-a937-7544e31836bb
  6. Windows File Explorer Preview .dxf and .dwg files without having to open them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer Preview .dxf and .dwg files without having to open them: Hi. All I basically need is a way to preview .dxf and .dwg files from my Windows File Explorer without having to actually open the files individually. I only want to rename files into a logical naming convention for ease of finding old files. I do not do any editing etc....
  7. Cannot associate DXF files with my CAD software

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot associate DXF files with my CAD software: I want to associate DXF files with TurboCAD 20. In the file association by extension Windows 10 will only allow me to choose a program from the App Store. Why can't I associate this CAD format with my CAD software? I should be able to associate any file type with any program...
  8. window 10 support

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    window 10 support: My laptop is not working properly i have dell vostro 1550 with i3 2nd generation processor 2 gb ram with intel hd graphics 3000 when i m updating my laptop and restart before sign in window 10 laptop goes to dead or black screen. is that a problem in unsupported graphic or...
  9. window 10 support

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    window 10 support: My laptop is not working properly i have dell vostro 1550 with i3 2nd generation processor 2 gb ram with intel hd graphics 3000 when i m updating my laptop and restart before sign in window 10 laptop goes to dead or black screen. is that a problem in unsupported graphic or...
  10. support in windows 10 for .flv files?

in Windows 10 Support
    support in windows 10 for .flv files?: Windows 7 and 8 I don't believe had native support for .flv video files, does windows 10 and if not what is the best way to achieve this? TC 20585

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dxf files

2. are dxf file supported by windows

3. window 10 cannot recognize STL file format