Windows 10: Are Homegroups dead?

Discus and support Are Homegroups dead? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Saw this on the Homegroups tutorial: [img] So this means that MS is nailing that coffin shut? 102173 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TV2, Jan 10, 2018.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Are Homegroups dead?

Saw this on the Homegroups tutorial:

Are Homegroups dead? [​IMG]

So this means that MS is nailing that coffin shut?

:)

2. Cannot Leave HomeGroup From Linked PC

1. Make sure all PC's have left the HomeGroup or are NOT joined to a HomeGroup

2. Turn off all PC's

3. Reboot PC that originally had HomeGroup and now has the phantom HomeGroup

4. After reboot, you should be able to create a new HomeGroup on that PC replacing the phantom HomeGroup. Print or write down new HomeGroup password.

5. Boot other PCs and attempt to join HomeGroup with new password.

Note: Make sure you use the ORIGINAL PC that had the HomeGroup ! (step 3)

Note: Once you have fixed the phantom HomeGroup, you should be able to have all the PC's leave the HomeGroup, then create a new HomeGroup on the PC of your choice.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 10, 2018
  3. David Haz Win User
    Set up Homegroup with a dual band router

Hi David,

After creating a HomeGroup network, the next step is to join it. You'll need the HomeGroup password, if there is any. To join a HomeGroup, follow these steps on the PC that you want to add to the HomeGroup:

• Open HomeGroup by typing homegroup in the search box on the taskbar, then select
      HomeGroup from the results.
    • Select Join now > Next.
    • Select the libraries and devices you want to share with the HomeGroup, and then select
      Next.
    • Type the HomeGroup password in the box, and then select Next.
    • Select Finish.
    Note: If you do not see a space to enter a password, there might not be a HomeGroup available. Make sure that someone has created a Homegroup, or you may create a HomeGroup yourself.

If you are having trouble joining a HomeGroup, you may run the HomeGroup troubleshooter to find and fix problems with the HomeGroup network. To do so: Open
    Homegroup and click Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter.

If you need further assistance, feel free to ask us.

Regards.

David Haz, Jan 10, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Are Homegroups dead?

Yes.

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17063 for PC

5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Thanks for clarifying!

6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Home groups were never any good in the first place.

Simply to share on home type networks just on properties of either folder of Disk choose sharing and then add user and give permission such as read or all etc.

Other windows machines should then be able to connect. For NON Windows simply use SAMBA on NAS / LINUX type machines and android type stuff (Phone's, Amazon / ROKU tv sticks / boxes etc) should still be able to connect seamlessly --you might have to give a user and password depending on the permissions.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 13, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    So I've heard. I've always found Workgroup networking (as you described) to be more configurable/reliable.

*Arrow Change Workgroup in Windows 10

8. Are Homegroups dead?

While I agree that Homegroups are a terrible kludge on top of the traditional workgroup sharing, which after 25 years Microsoft still haven't been able to make user-friendly, it's strange that they would completely remove Homegroups all of a sudden. I'm sure there must be someone out there using them...

PolarNettles, Jan 13, 2018
  9. PiKo Win User
    Interesting, but I am confused now. I was just preparing to switch to homegroup.
    I have no problem with sharing with another PC (or Linux based devices). But when I disable SMB 1.0/CIFS support, all connections are gone. And people are telling me, that I should disable this because of safety, and use higher SMB versions. I thought these higher versions were part of the homegroup.
    So my question now is: how to share without using SMB 1.0/CIFS, homegroup and cloud?

10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Thanks. The reason I was asking is because I have these cheat-sheets for installing and custom configuring Windows and I will now delete the sections on Homegroup setup and stop saving the key.

Thema:

Are Homegroups dead?

1. Are Homegroups dead? - Similar Threads - Are Homegroups dead

2. Homegroup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Homegroup: In short, I have a dead computer : My dead computer is still showing on my homegroup. How do I remove please? Thanks in advance Sue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup/65be341c-2c47-46e2-bf90-0e128244fc63
  3. Homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Homegroup: My ability to use homegroup has disappeared in the 1803 versions of Win10. Why? What is being done about this? When? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup/2e78b13a-90d7-4791-87f7-d7539aa9c04d
  4. homegroup

homegroup: Homegroup has disappeared https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/homegroup/3026f692-4c87-4c5d-b6b6-4bce30fe96a4
  5. Homegroup

Homegroup: The removal of Homegroup and Network from Windows 10 has left me with no means of communication between my PC and my Laptop. Is a new mechanism likely to emerge soon or if ever. I do not intend to use Onedrive....
  6. homegroup

homegroup: I am having problems with other homegroup computers accessing my shared folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/homegroup/699ecc3e-0639-47c8-8c4d-e4f31f8a4700
  7. Homegroup

Homegroup: Can anyone from microsoft explain to me why my home group is no longer working after my computers automatically updated in the middle of the night. I use this on a regular basis. Now i cannot. and to be quite honest i am pissed right off. do the techs at microsoft not...
  8. Homegroups

Homegroups: It is high time to report my experiences with the W10 installation to you. Microsoft pushes all of us to do this before end of June. 1. Do a thorough backup of all your data. 2. If you use the attached file, and invoke it, it does the whole job by itself. You can go...
  9. Homegroup

Homegroup: So many have given Microsoft feedback about Homegroup but they are not listening. I have a number of pc's in the home and need to be able to see each other. I am now only using version 240 because that one works, or is there a way to do it on 10565. I am lost 27604
  10. HomeGrouping

HomeGrouping: Hi all...definately need you urgently In 10240 I could network to two other pcs in my home but not after the 1025 upgrade What' the trick please ?*Sad 19423