Windows 10: Are Intel Rapid Storage and Intel Security assist bloatware?

Discus and support Are Intel Rapid Storage and Intel Security assist bloatware? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My questions are, Are programs Intel Rapid Storage technology and Intel Security assist considered to be bloatware? They came with the laptop and cant... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bo elam, Aug 5, 2017.

1. bo elam Win User

Are Intel Rapid Storage and Intel Security assist bloatware?

My questions are, Are programs Intel Rapid Storage technology and Intel Security assist considered to be bloatware? They came with the laptop and cant figure exactly what they do. The name Intel makes it sound like serious stuff but after searching Google I have the feeling that they do nothing and can be uninstalled. The laptop came with McAfee. And I know McAfee and Intel are now sort of one and the same. I uninstalled McAfee immediately after 1st boot.

Can this programs be safely uninstalled? I am not even sure what they do or whether they doing something in my laptop. I know they run, and I get one error in Events Log per week from Intel Security assist and between 1 and 3 Warnings a day from Rapid Storage technology. This Warnings and Error don't appear to impact anything, I know about them because I look at the Events log otherwise I wouldn't know they were issued.

Bo

:)

bo elam, Aug 5, 2017
  2. John Ado Win User

Dell inspiron 3442 Battery draining after shutting down laptop in windows 10

Hi,

This may have been a hardware limitation. It will be best to contact the manufacturer for further assistance. Some of the suggestions we found are:

• Unchecking Fast startup in Control Panel, Power Options.
    • Uninstalling Intell Rapid Storage driver, Intel Management Engine, and
      Intel Security Agent.

Best regards.

John Ado, Aug 5, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    BSOD when trying to update win 10 from 1703 to 1709 (creators update)

Hi Asad,

1 mini-dump file indicates

Dell Support Assistant

4 mini-dump files indicate

Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver

I would go to the support page on the website of the manufacturer of your system then download and install the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST)

DaveM121, Aug 5, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

These are probably not needed for most users. Ensure you still have the Intel Rapid Storage Driver installed for your IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller - mine is iaStorA.sys (see photo). For a full discussion and to find the best drivers for your PC see http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-...QL-v-WHQL.html

Are Intel  Rapid Storage and Intel Security assist bloatware? [​IMG]

Steve C, Aug 5, 2017
  5. bo elam Win User
    Yes, I have it. iaStorA.sys is what I was saying generates Warnings every day.

Bo

bo elam, Aug 5, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    The driver should still remain if you uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage program. Do you still have errors when the program is removed?

Steve C, Aug 5, 2017
  7. bo elam Win User
    I haven't uninstalled anything, What I get are Warnings that don't seen to have any effect, not errors.

Bo

bo elam, Aug 5, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

What storage does your laptop have? SSD or HD?

swarfega, Aug 5, 2017
  9. bo elam Win User
    Is a Hard drive. I just saw this, Rapid storage is actually doing something, I guess saving energy. According to the screen, it is activated.

Bo

bo elam, Aug 5, 2017
  10. bo elam Win User
    Perhaps it doesn't mean nothing but I noticed the Warnings related to Rapid Storage usually are generated when the laptop is idle or doing almost nothing with it.

Bo

bo elam, Aug 5, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    Its not bloat where, I use it on my purely SSD setup but for a laptop hard drive, its a bit useless.

swarfega, Aug 5, 2017
  12. bo elam Win User
    I just figured that out. Can you tell me whats the difference if the setting (Link power management) in the picture is disabled instead of enabled (as is now by default). My guess is the disk works less with the setting enabled but works better with it disabled. And this Warning would not be triggered.

Bo

bo elam, Aug 5, 2017
  13. essenbe Win User

I believe Link Power Management puts your hard drive/SSD into a low power state to help battery life but in doing so can lower the performance of your hard drive or SSD.

essenbe, Aug 5, 2017
  14. bo elam Win User
    Thanks, essenbe.

Bo

bo elam, Aug 5, 2017
  15. essenbe Win User
    You are welcome Bo. I may be wrong but I believe the improvement on battery life is pretty insignificant.

essenbe, Aug 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Are Intel Rapid Storage and Intel Security assist bloatware? - Similar Threads - Are Intel Rapid

2. Intel rapid storage not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Intel rapid storage not working: how do i install windows when intel rapid storage is no working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-rapid-storage-not-working/a78f503c-8543-46f5-8162-51708c2dffbf
  3. Intel rapid storage not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel rapid storage not working: how do i install windows when intel rapid storage is no working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-rapid-storage-not-working/a78f503c-8543-46f5-8162-51708c2dffbf
  4. Intel rapid storage not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. intel rapid storage technology

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    intel rapid storage technology: after the latest update of the windows 11 every time the pc is turned on it says "iastaricon.exe" application was unable to start correctly.intel rapid storage is also not running and cannot install new softwares after intallation it says .exe not working need to re...
  6. Intel rapid storage to ahci

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel rapid storage to ahci: Hi, and thanks in advance! I have to upgrade my storage, and I have found answers, but not for the whole question. I have a msi gt73, with 2256gb nvme in raid 0, and a 2tb hdd (dynamic disc). I want to get rid of intel ras, and upgrade one of the nvme to a 1tb nvme. The...
  7. Intel rapid storage to ahci

in Windows 10 Support
    Intel rapid storage to ahci: Hi, and thanks in advance! I have to upgrade my storage, and I have found answers, but not for the whole question. I have a msi gt73, with 2256gb nvme in raid 0, and a 2tb hdd (dynamic disc). I want to get rid of intel ras, and upgrade one of the nvme to a 1tb nvme. The...
  8. Intel rapid storage tech

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Intel rapid storage tech: I went to my bios to turn on rapid intel storge tech and it said we ran into a problem i let it resart and it went into a loop so i turned it off and went to login everything was reset and memory was lost. CAN SOMBODY HELP...
  9. Intel Rapid Storage driver

Intel Rapid Storage driver: why won't the Intel Rapid Storage driver install https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/intel-rapid-storage-driver/50e737b2-6bc0-453a-b5d9-a0472e268d3c
  10. Intel Storage Or rapid storage

Intel Storage Or rapid storage: Hi , I am having this issue after IRS just decided to merge both of my hard drives into one and creating a recovery thing on it , I believe its called array which is named by SATA_Array_0000 , my ssd is around 250 GB and the other harddrive is 1TB which is gone now ,...