Windows 10: Are Microsoft store apps legal?

Discus and support Are Microsoft store apps legal? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Are Microsoft store apps legal? Never thought I would ask that question. I see a lot of free movie apps being offered. The ad you see at the top could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by groze, May 7, 2016.

1. groze Win User

Are Microsoft store apps legal?

Are Microsoft store apps legal? Never thought I would ask that question. I see a lot of free movie apps being offered. The ad you see at the top could pay for the movies. I find very odd though. Especially, since some of free movies are also available for rent or purchase at the Microsoft store.

:)

groze, May 7, 2016

2. Are there any suggested Microsoft Store apps?

I suggest downloading Win32 apps for the type of Softwares you are looking for. Microsoft Store apps are continually developing-however you would not find those in store.

Sumit Dhiman2, May 7, 2016
  3. Are there any suggested Microsoft Store apps?

You are not gonna necessarily find those type of apps on the Store. You still have to use the web to download utility software. Here is a summary of some recommended utilities for Windows:

https://lifehacker.com/top-10-incredibly-useful...

Andre Da Costa, May 7, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

The apps are not necessarily illegal anymore than owning or using a gun is necessarily illegal. Owning it or using it may be illegal of course depending on your country of residence.

I am surprised that MS host such tools though - poor vetting?

cereberus, May 7, 2016
  5. groze Win User
    How do you know which apps are legal and legit in your country? I don't want to get in trouble or a fine for watching movies or tv programs that are not legal to watch. I am not that type of person. Microsoft should do better checking of their apps. It makes me afraid of using any app on windows 10 from their store.

groze, May 7, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    I cannot answer that.

The reality is very few countries will seriously prosecute individuals, unless those individuals are openly selling illegal copies. I am not suggesting it is ok to use such apps of course.

Ultimately, it is either accepting the risk of being prosecuted, or a personal moral conscience issue.

cereberus, May 7, 2016
  7. groze Win User
    cereberus or anyone else

Is the Scooby Doo tv show apps (The free ones) ok to watch in the U.S.? Some of those apps may also include the movies.

groze, May 7, 2016
  8. Winuser Win User

I don't see why it would be illegal. They probably pay for the rights to offer the shows from the ads and purchases. Being openly available I'm sure MS knows it in the store.

Winuser, May 7, 2016
  9. I've had some Apps/programs pop up a not authorized in your country message (or something similar) once installed and run. They just won't stream the content. I didn't find out until I tried to actually use them. I can't remember what programs/Apps they were though. It's been a while since that happened. I try to read the fine print these days to prevent a repeat occurrence.

alphanumeric, May 7, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    I really have no idea but I personally I would not worry about it but if any mean looking and mysterious green vans suddenly park outside, panic!

cereberus, May 7, 2016
  11. groze Win User
    *Roflmao2

groze, May 8, 2016
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

While myself hating the whole idea in a Global world restricting stuff by "Geo-Location" - since in any case any such restrictions are usually futile and content invariably finds its way on to well known sites I doubt whether any court would get a successful prosecution if you downloaded in good faith an app from an OFFICIAL (not a "cloned version) of the Microsoft store.

If fines / other sanctions were to be levied - any even moderately successful Lawyer could run rings around that type of verdict -- and the owner of the site (in this case Microsoft) could be the one liable for prosecution.

Interesting how though MCAA doesn't go against Microsoft (Ms is big enough to fight back) but are trying to get hold of "The small guys".

If stuff was released globally and with decent digital availabilty at sensible and affordable pricing --why in 21 Century do we need such Dinosaur Technology ad physical DVD's (apart from pollution etc in manufacturing these) MORE MONEY would be earned by these content providers.

Why for example is NETFLIX more expensive in Australia and GB than USA and with LESS content available -- that's what the courts should look at rather than being bothered with the ms store.

In any case I'm sure Ms won't deliberately host pirated / copyrighted material on its sites - unless it pays the rights for such material.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Are Microsoft store apps legal? - Similar Threads - Are Microsoft store

2. This site is legalized by Microsoft ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This site is legalized by Microsoft ?: I was reading about the new update MOMENT 3 when I came across a video where people who were unable to download the new update were advised to go to: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=+KB5026446 there are 2 download selections where you can choose between...
  3. This site is legalized by Microsoft ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This site is legalized by Microsoft ?: I was reading about the new update MOMENT 3 when I came across a video where people who were unable to download the new update were advised to go to: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=+KB5026446 there are 2 download selections where you can choose between...
  4. Torrenting an app: What is it? Is it legal? If it is legal, how can I torrent an app?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Torrenting an app: What is it? Is it legal? If it is legal, how can I torrent an app?: Hi all, just wanted to have some information about torrenting an app. 1 Is it legal? 2If so, how can I do it? If it isn't legal don't bother about telling me how to do it, just a no would do!...
  5. Microsoft store app

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store app: Recently i have updated win 10 pro version 1903 through windows update. but all start menu tiles are not loading . most of them say "a great app is on its way" i recently updated all microsoft apps from store even i reset my microsoft app store..tried to sign in with a new...
  6. Microsoft Store Apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Store Apps: I can not open any Microsoft Store APP. They all give the following message: xxxxxx can't open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected. My hard drive where apps are installed is still ok, it is a second HDD. I figured out where apps are...
  7. Microsoft store app

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store app: Hello people. So I have come to notice that if I want to download a game on the app store on pc. I can't play and games or watch YouTube without it having a error every minute. When I look at the details it says its on there end but its taking all day to download one game. So...
  8. Is this store legal

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is this store legal: Hi, I'd like to have your opinion about this online store: https://ulicense.online/ They sell Windows licenses at very cheap price. Is it legal to buy from them ? Thanks for your advices! Rene...
  9. Microsoft app store

Microsoft app store: I am unable to download apps from the store. They are just hanging in the queue, I ran a trouble shoot program and it says that my temp file location was changed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-app-store/26272e3e-5958-4666-9cc4-f55864d1a2fc
  10. Free movie streaming apps in the app store- Are they legal?

Free movie streaming apps in the app store- Are they legal?: I see all these movie streaming apps in the Windows app store like Movie Tube. Are these legit? Streaming movies that just came out on video free seems like a trap to me. Are these malware? Illegal? Will I get a MPAA letter from my cable co? 56333

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft store app legal