Windows 10: Are PASSWORD KEEPERS any good?

Discus and support Are PASSWORD KEEPERS any good? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What with all the more frequent personal information online break ins am I worth using one of the PASSWORD KEEPERS as if I'm constantly going to have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Barnaby44, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Barnaby44 Win User

Are PASSWORD KEEPERS any good?

What with all the more frequent personal information online break ins am I worth using one of the PASSWORD KEEPERS as if I'm constantly going to have to change them I'm likely to forget them all.
    I'm assuming a Password Keeper is more secure.

I'm looking at 2 of them 1] KEEPASS and 2] Dashlane PASSWORD MANAGER
    1] Is a bit complex to set up.
    2] is easier to set up and I like that everything is kept encrypted until it appears back on your machine.

I don't have either fully set up yet as I would like any input on them you might have before I do.
    My book of hand written passwords is almost unmanageable now but I'm not totally convinced it's a good idea to trust all my passwords to a digital safe and I don't want to have to write them all out again.

Your comments much appreciated.

:)

Barnaby44, Nov 5, 2015

2. Need Password Vault that is compatible with Edge (Windows 10 default browser)

Open edge, click on three dots upper right corner, click on extensions. You will find many password keepers there- some free, some pay. Hope this helps and if you need any further assistance post and we will be glad to assist.

richard000002, Nov 5, 2015
  3. PC Keeper Error " ''Failed to execute PCKeeper entry point''.

Original Title: PC Keeper Error

I have been using PC Keeper and have paid for it but I changed my service provider and now PC Keeper wont open, it says ''Failed to execute PCKeeper entry point''. any ideas how I can resolve this

MartinParrish, Nov 5, 2015
  4. pparks1 Win User

I use Keepass. It's a piece of cake. I actually keep mine on Dropbox, so that I have a copy in the cloud and on my PC. So, my dropbox would have to get hacked, and then my KeePass would have to get hacked to get my passwords. That's a safe enough risk to me.

pparks1, Nov 5, 2015
  5. Barnaby44 Win User
    Thanks for your comments, I use Dropbox too so I can adopt your extra "safe to crack" protection too, good idea.

Barnaby44, Nov 5, 2015
  6. pparks1 Win User
    If you want to go crazy, you could use dropbox, then something like BoxCryptor to create an encrypted folder in DropBox and then put KeePass into that.

pparks1, Nov 5, 2015
  7. Barnaby44 Win User
    That would be MAD PParks.
    If I understand these recent break ins that have occurred it wouldn't matter how good I'm protected at my end as it is the other end that the black hats are compromising and stealing my details. If that is correct is there anything I can do.
    I do run AVG Internet security and have Malwarebytes watching and so far touch wood I've not been violated since BB started.

Barnaby44, Nov 5, 2015
  8. simrick Win User

I use LastPass. It's quite simple, and works across all browsers (well, not Edge, yet) and mobile devices.

1. All encryption and decryption happens on your computer.

2. The sensitive data that is harbored on our servers is always encrypted before it’s sent to us, so all we receive is gibberish.

3. We never receive the key to decrypt that data.

Security expert Steve Gibson switched to LastPass after extensive research. If he recommends it, that's the one I would use.

LastPass explained by Steve Gibson - Part 0 - Password Security Primer - YouTube

LastPass explained by Steve Gibson - Part 1 - Passwords and devices - YouTube

LastPass explained by Steve Gibson - Part 2 - The Cryptography - YouTube

LastPass explained by Steve Gibson - Part 3 - Its simple - YouTube

LastPass explained by Steve Gibson - Part 4 - Features and Galactic Math - YouTube

LastPass explained by Steve Gibson - Part 5 - One time password, Ubikey and importing data - YouTube

LastPass explained by Steve Gibson - Part 6 - Final thoughts : Not a single problem - YouTube

Here's the transcript of the entire show.
    Security Now! Transcript of Episode #256
    Use CTRL+F and search for LastPass - you'll find the explanation of how it works to protect you a little more than half way down the page. He goes into some detail of the encryption and hashing they do, to ensure they never get your information in any useful form, which is most important.

And here is some additional reading on it.

Is LastPass Secure? What Happens if It Gets Hacked?

LastPass Gets the Green Light from Security Now!s Steve Gibson | The LastPass Blog

Of course, 2-factor authentication is a must these days, and I don't recommend storing your passwords in the cloud.

Well, it is the case that we are now storing all of our eggs in one basket. So you want it to be a safe basket, and you want it to be a basket you can back up, and a basket that nobody else can get your eggs out of.
    And they really have nailed it. I mean, I don't see a single problem with this. The crypto is clear and simple. And they've arranged so that they're never going to be in a position of anyone being able to, like, steal their stuff.
    Notice that no subpoena that they're served can force them to divulge your information.
    They don't have anything.
    It's, well, it's correct. They did it right. I mean, from start to finish. And multiplatform. So they're not biased towards Windows and against Linux folks. Windows, Mac, and Linux, across the board, for all for this. It's done.

simrick, Nov 5, 2015
  9. simrick Win User
    @Barnaby44
    And, just in case you're concerned that the hack to LastPass servers this year may have changed his mind, well, it hasn't, and he's confirmed it recently:

Security Now! Transcript of Episode #512

...they're a model for the way you do this. And they said, we routinely survey our network because that's the way you do it these days is you look for anything that seems suspicious, and then you go figure out what it is. So something seemed suspicious, some traffic that they didn't expect should be there.
    ...So, for example, the password side stuff was where this anomalous traffic appeared, which were the email addresses, the password reminders, the per-user salts, and the authentication hashes. So let's remember the way this system works. The reason I like it so much is that the user's email address, after case is removed - so it's case-insensitive because email is case-insensitive, and they don't want to confuse their hashing because they combine the email address and the user's password, and then they hash it iteratively.
    ...And so the email address is half of the secret, which is not a secret. Obviously it's known. Then the passphrase is what's added to that. And then it goes through all this hashing. The point is bad guys could perform a targeted attack. The other thing that they've done right is they have what's called a "per-user salt."
    ... The only attack then would be for a bad guy to take the email address, which assuming that anything got out at all, to take the email address of the account - and notice that, I mean, there's some information there. That tells them probably who that account is. And there are no doubt many powerful and famous people who are using LastPass. So if this got out, the record is identifiable by that high-value person's email address. So that tells them who's worth attacking. So they would then have to take that email address and that user's salt, that user's account salt, and start making guesses of what their password may be. Now, here is why a strong password is important.
    ... now, LastPass has protected us such that you cannot log in from a new device or IP as of before the announcement, unless you do an email confirmation.
    ...for what it's worth, the only attack that is feasible is a targeted attack based on what your email address for LastPass is. So if that was anonymized or a separate Gmail account or something that doesn't look tasty, then you probably, you know, it'd be unlikely you'd be a target because there's no way to do a mass crack of this, thanks to the per-account salting.
    ...So my point is, to answer your question, I'm not leaving. I'm staying with them.

and also here:

Security Now! Transcript of Episode #513

...a security researcher, did some LastPass exploit math in the real world, which gives us some numbers and further should make everybody feel comfortable about the virtual unhackability of their password based on the leakage that may have occurred from LastPass's network that we discussed at length last week.
    ...BlackICE was Robert's company. And so he was curious. And so he ran the numbers to give us a sense for what it will take to crack LastPass, given their 100,000 iterations. And the upshot of his note is that that's so many iterations that, as I said last week, they're taking the brunt of the execution even by offering that kind of security.
    ... And thanks to the salt, which is per user, there is no way anyone can do this once for all people.
    ...Yes, Jenny said to me, "Is LastPass dead?" I said, "No, honey, it's fine."

simrick, Nov 5, 2015
  10. LastPass has been hacked several times over the years, various seriousness.
    First you have to ask yourself, if you want an online or offline password manager.
    The difference is obvious, no one can gain access to an offline manager, not ever.
    Keepass on top of everything has a partial anti-keylogger function, which helps a bit.

TairikuOkami, Nov 5, 2015
  11. Barnaby44 Win User
    Wow it's quite a deep subject, thanks for all the the advice and information people.
    I've just been playing with Dashlane and it is very easy to use. It also is not Edge set up yet but they give a work around for other web browsers of your choice initially I've gone for IE.

Slightly disconcerting was once I joined up it displayed all my sites with my usernames and or email addresses but no passwords instantly. If they can see all that without any apparent difficulty I am really worried.

I think I need to look a bit deeper but I'm not sure I know what I'm looking at.
    I need someone who knows about these things I can trust which is why I am asking here, it seems to be a mine field.

Thanks so far

Barnaby44, Nov 5, 2015
  12. simrick Win User
    @Barnaby44 Steve Gibson is, and has been for a lot of years, well-respected in the security industry. He can be trusted. That's why I took the time to research and post everything from him, for you.

@TairikuOkami Of course LastPass will be a target of hackers - it's inherent to their business, and they know it. Which is why Steve Gibson continues to say things like "they know what they're doing" and "they do it right", and why Steve Gibson continues to use and recommend LastPass. If you take the time to read what he says, and really try to understand it, you will see that, even when hacked, there is nothing there for the hackers to get (unless, of course, you are a specific hacker's target, and you use a weak master password). Period. There's not even anything a government could subpoena. Having a strong master password, keeping it safe, and using multi-factor authentication with LastPass is perfectly safe.

Steve Gibson (computer programmer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GRC

simrick, Nov 5, 2015
  13. Are PASSWORD KEEPERS any good?

I use Sticky password which once I have put in one password to open it I can then get all my other passwords
    Can hold up to 200 passwords
    It has never let me down and also backed up on the cloud as well.
    It is not free but worth the money I pay for it for 1 year

hTconeM9user, Nov 5, 2015
  14. Another one to consider is Safe In Cloud Password Manager. I've been using it for a few years now and it's perfect. I had recently been a user of Lasspass but I gave up on them and also tried a few others and to be honest I find Safe in Cloud to be vastly superior.

It's a great little password manager and it's FREE to use on your desktop, you can choose to keep your password database stored locally on your machine (which you can backup to USB drive or anywhere else) or you can sync it with cloud storage like Skydrive, Google Drive or Dropbox. It uses 256-bit Advanced Encryption too.

They also have browser extensions for all the main browsers and also apps for mobile devices, but if you want to use it on a mobile device (android/apple) then you have to pay for the mobile app only, everything else is free. The thing I love about is it gives you the choice where to save your password database, so if you don't want to keep it in the cloud then no problem you don't have to, and if you decide you do then you also don't have to pay extra fee's to keep it there of either.

It has all the features you could want, and can generate passwords for you and can let you know if you have any weak or the same passwords.

I highly recommend giving it a try, there are no limits on the amount of passwords it can store and I'm also surprised its not more well known given how excellent it is.

have a look here and give it a try : SafeInCloud Password Manager for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac

*Smile

RamboMcMutNutts, Nov 6, 2015
  15. Barnaby44 Win User
    Thanks simrick, I do recognise Steve Gibson's name from other on-line comments I've read so I'll be having a look at LastPass too.

Thanks everyone.

Barnaby44, Nov 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Are PASSWORD KEEPERS any good? - Similar Threads - Are PASSWORD KEEPERS

2. is windows 11 any good?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is windows 11 any good?: is windows 11 any good ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-11-any-good/ea54a327-517e-4df2-bb6c-47597eed1f9c
  3. is windows 11 any good?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is windows 11 any good?: is windows 11 any good ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-11-any-good/ea54a327-517e-4df2-bb6c-47597eed1f9c
  4. Recipe Keeper

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Recipe Keeper: I installed Recipe Keeper from the Microsoft Store. I have over 100 familyrecipes entered into the app. I would like to backup the file that contain the recipes should my computercrash and I have to re-image the system. I cannot find any directories,folders, etc. on the...
  5. any good and free photoshop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    any good and free photoshop?: i want to know if there is any good and free photshop since i have to use it fo school next year submitted by /u/vision2310 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lc84ao/any_good_and_free_photoshop/
  6. Good Password Managers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Good Password Managers: A year or so ago I spent some time looking at password managers. Mostly Dashlane, Lastpass and Bitwarden. I tossed Bitwarden because of some of the things it didn't do well (which I cannot recall what any more), and got down to Lastpass and Dashlane. Wife preferred Dashlane...
  7. keeper password manager

keeper password manager: have upgraded to recent windows and edge. can not seem to get keeper to install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keeper-password-manager/82fb5a7e-3c4b-4f4f-8f2b-d6e7664fc2ca
  8. Is System Keeper legit?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is System Keeper legit?: Last night I got a pop-up which looked like it was certified from Windows (see pics below) stated I had 3 viruses. Believing it was legit I followed instructions which had me download System Keeper, and ran it. Maybe I should not have done that cause now System Keeper...
  9. fixmestick is it any good

fixmestick is it any good: Is this a viable program to use? A friend of mine uses it and swears by it. I personally am not sure if I want to try it. 75863
  10. Is FreedomPop any good?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is FreedomPop any good?: Hi folks, Has anyone used FreedomPop? Is it actually free, or do you have to pay after so many months? Thanks for any info. *Smile -Chuck 4529