Windows 10: Are per user timezones still absent from Windows 10 ?

Discus and support Are per user timezones still absent from Windows 10 ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dear forum readers, Decades after being implemented in Unix and Linux systems (it's even possible per process), is Windows still lacking ? The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NovHak, Feb 15, 2017.

1. NovHak Win User

Are per user timezones still absent from Windows 10 ?

Dear forum readers,

Decades after being implemented in Unix and Linux systems (it's even possible per process), is Windows still lacking ? The pre-timezone idea that hardware clock and user time representations are necessarily the same is starting to get a bit old... I know there's something available via terminal services, but even there I suspect it's not possible to specify a timezone different from the client's. And even if it's possible, what about people not using terminal services ?

19:00 in France, 18:00 in the UK, 05:00 the next day in Melbourne, Australia are the same. Same time, different representations. Other major OSes made the abstraction a long time ago.

There are good reasons to make the change. As an example, I could point the journalist working on events going on in some remote country, who wants his environment showing that country's time representation : apps, desktop, etc.

Another example : DST changes in a multiboot environment. If all OSes implement per user timezones, it's possible to have the hardware time in UTC, and each OS will update transparently without any need too fiddle with the hardware clock. But if one or more OS doesn't, things get complicated : either

• the DST change will be made manually, or
    • one OS will be responsible for the change (which means the DST change won't happen as long as this OS is not booted), or
    • all OSes unable to have per-user timezones will get fixed DST-free timezones, most likely UTC, or
    • all OSes will rely on a time server, but what if the server is unreachable ?

But maybe I'm wrong after all and Windows 10 finally made the change, in which case I didn't find where...

:)

NovHak, Feb 15, 2017
  2. jogladik Win User

Increase windows update speed

In russian your words not may be translated as it was done Microsoft and it is absent 'Find and fix problems'. This instruments (troubleshooter) I think absent for user in Windows
    10. It is update for not need app but not system and this update was 10 times (skype and... business... (why business for home user with pro version with Office
    2010?). I can not use internet connection every time because it cost with smartfone modem for PC (not smartfone). I can use maximum 1 times in week. Microsoft not want think about this! My internet connection is good (4G, 1,5 Mbit per sec). I can download
    25 Gbytes in 12 hours from google music.

jogladik, Feb 15, 2017
  3. How to change just the time zone of windows inbuilt apps?

How to change just the time zone of windows inbuilt apps? (not the content, just timezone as per location)

Moved from Insider

Original title: timezone change

utsav kharel, Feb 15, 2017
  4. Are per user timezones still absent from Windows 10 ?

Doubt it has per user Timezones. I mean sure it seems like a good feature to have. But thinking rationally about it. It really isn't a feature in high demand. How often are multiple users going to be using the same computer in different Timezones? If you are traveling you can just change the timezone as you move between them having it per-user isn't going to do much there. For remote sessions, you of course will be using another computer likely set in the timezone you are in, irrelevant if the remote computer isn't.

So while I can understand it would be a nice feature, it just isn't that important to have. However if you really want it. Go to Microsoft's Feedback hub and submit it.

logicearth, Feb 15, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    The whole issue with different time zones is part of the compelling reason for maritime/shipping and aviation to use GMT/UTC/Zulu time as a reference, everyone seeing it converts to the time zone they are in and get an accurate picture of what others are talking about as vessels and aircraft cross multiple zones in a days work. Then using the 24-hour clock makes addition or subtraction easier.

A general rule-of-thumb is 1 hour change for every 15° of Longitude change with exceptions for political or economic needs. The globe is 360° Longitude divided by 15 = 24 hours.

Berton, Feb 15, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    In Windows 10 you don't even have to think what time zone you are currently in when location service is enabled (Settings > Privacy > Location > Location service) and Set time zone automatically is ON:

Are per user timezones still absent from Windows 10 ? [​IMG]

7. bro67 Win User
    Using different Time zones for each user will end up messing up the database that any OS uses to track file changes and house keeping. Really do not see a need if the unit just stays in one place. You can though set the clock to change to the time zone you are in through Date & Time Regional settings.

bro67, Feb 16, 2017
  8. LMiller7 Win User

I suspect this would create some difficult compatibility issues. Compatibility has implications that can be far from obvious.

LMiller7, Feb 16, 2017
  9. NovHak Win User
    Thanks for all your replies !

So as I suspected it's likely not implemented, which is not susprising since in my opinion MS has often been late in the technical department, and only billions and marketing have been able to mitigate this. As expected too, some answers show a severe lack of knowledge on the subject but I won't build up on this, as it would likely lead us nowhere. We all know that, don't we ?

NovHak, Feb 19, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    It really doesn't. All times are stored UTC in every OS I've ever used. The time displayed is just adjusted from that. Logs, timestamps, everything that uses a time uses UTC. OSX, (most) Linux, IBMi etc.

Except Windows which treats the CMOS time as local time for some unknown reason. History perhaps.

NTFS stores time as UTC but FAT doesn't - perhaps that is why. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

You can (and probably should) set Windows to use UTC especially if you dual boot with a non windows OS.

Like this: Code: reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation" /v RealTimeIsUniversal /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f[/quote] You may want a QWORD not a DWORD if you have x64 - see here Time - ArchWiki

Funny you get a better write up on how Windows works on a Linux forum but there you go. Sometimes you do.

11. bro67 Win User
    Microsoft is not late to this. Also with Linux, the Kernel for the workstation still goes by the UTC time for the time zone, just the user thinks that they are in a different time zone.

bro67, Feb 20, 2017
  12. NovHak Win User
    History seems the most likely reason. You know, that history when one had to type "sync" twice before shutting down a Unix system !

You just confirmed what I was almost sure of myself but didn't bother checking. I suppose xFAT uses UTC too, however it should be possible to migitate the FAT problem with an "assume UTC instead of current timezone" parameter in the FAT driver, which could become the default after some time.

[/quote] Very interesting information ! I'm seriously considering switching to this, so that Windows is no more the only OS that doesn't display local time, but I have read about some possible bugs associated with this registry setting : the Windows time service has been known to be incompatible, requiring to disable it for proper operation. Moreover, there's nothing from MS officially documenting this... but that's very tempting indeed, I may end up making the change anyway.

And btw, I don't think the system being 64-bit changes anything to the registry data type. Most likely it will remain DWORD.

Well, I'm going to make a politically correct answer to this : now the answer is on a Windows forum, at last !

NovHak, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Are per user timezones still absent from Windows 10 ? - Similar Threads - Are per user

2. Display settings per user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display settings per user: I have several users on my Windows 11 computer. I have two extra displays connected to this computer.This is what I am looking for: for example when user X is logged in, I would like to use only one display, when another user is logged in, I would like to use all three...
  3. Display settings per user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display settings per user: I have several users on my Windows 11 computer. I have two extra displays connected to this computer.This is what I am looking for: for example when user X is logged in, I would like to use only one display, when another user is logged in, I would like to use all three...
  4. Location data absent from Windows Photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location data absent from Windows Photos: The ability to obtain location data and the nice little map that came with it seems to have disappeared from Windows Photos with the latest update. Is the facility hidden somewhere, are there plans to bring it back, or is Windows driving me to use Google Photos now?...
  5. Location data absent from Windows Photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location data absent from Windows Photos: The ability to obtain location data and the nice little map that came with it seems to have disappeared from Windows Photos with the latest update. Is the facility hidden somewhere, are there plans to bring it back, or is Windows driving me to use Google Photos now?...
  6. Is Windows 10 Device Encryption - Per User?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Windows 10 Device Encryption - Per User?: Is the key to encrypt/decrypt files specific to my user profile? Or is the Data Encryption Key the same and shared across all users on the same machine?e.g. Assume both user A and user B can login to the same computer C.Can someone physically remove the hard drive from C, and...
  7. Does restricting the locale setting prevent users from changing the timezone?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Does restricting the locale setting prevent users from changing the timezone?: Hello all, I do have a question regarding locale settings and what it does. Currently I do have a windows 10 client device. On that client device, there is a GPO enforced which, "Disallow user override of locale settings".Does disallowing users to override the locale settings...
  8. Windows 10 per to per network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 per to per network: I have setup a per to per windows 10 network. About every 2-3 weeks the drives disconnect on the workstations and have to re setup the mapping and the authorization. I looks like the admin logs out or disconnects or the authorization is lost. How can it be setup so the...
  9. Windows 10 STARTUP APP unique per user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 STARTUP APP unique per user: Hi, I have a Windows 10 IOT Enterprise system. I want to have an APP run on startup when a particular user logs on; but not when anyone else logs on. I have no problem adding and removing apps that run when everyone logs on, but for just one user seems obsure. Please...
  10. Set language per user

in Windows 10 Support
    Set language per user: Hi, Does anyone know if there is a way to set display language (and locale) per user? I change it and it's changed for all the users, system wide. Thanks in advance! 135499