Windows 10: Are 'pictures' and 'Photos' separate from one another?

Discus and support Are 'pictures' and 'Photos' separate from one another? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Good evening all, I'm just getting the hang of this new pc running Windows 10. I recently tried to download some photos from my iPhone onto my PC and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Feathers, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Feathers Win User

Are 'pictures' and 'Photos' separate from one another?

Good evening all, I'm just getting the hang of this new pc running Windows 10. I recently tried to download some photos from my iPhone onto my PC and wanted to store them in the Microsoft Photo App (which was already preinstalled on the pc when I bought it). Each time I tried, they went into the 'pictures' folder. Can someone please tell me how I transfer them onto the Photo App and delete them from 'pictures'? Thank you.

:)

Feathers, Jul 13, 2017
  2. DES1945 Win User

Deleting duplicate photos in the Windows Photo Gallery

In my photos app (windows 10) in the sources settings, I have several source folders from different drives. Because of this I have many double and triple copies of the same picture. How can I delete these extra copies without deleting each one separately
    so that in my photo app I only have one of each picture? Thanks.

Moved from Windows Essentials

DES1945, Jul 13, 2017
  3. Emailing photos from Windows 7

How do these four x-rays differ from four pictures like in My Pictures. Are they four separate pictures, or a 4 in 1 actual single photo?

Bruce Hagen, Jul 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

The Photo app allows you to add folders to its albums. Which folders are added is under your control.

The Photo app is a program, the folders and files in which your photos exist are disk storage. So you can't 'transfer them onto the app' as such.

Are 'pictures' and 'Photos' separate from one another? [​IMG]

- try 'Choose where to look'

Do remember no-one's forcing you to use Photos. You can download and use your own favourite (freeware?) program, whether it's from the Store, or from the internet, as has been the case for decades.

dalchina, Jul 13, 2017
  5. Feathers Win User
    Thank you very much dalchina for your swift help. I have to confess that I'm pretty ignorant about Folders within Apps and Collections and Albums and the like. All I wanted to do was collect ALL my photos on the Photos App in one long list. Is it possible to do that? Kind regards.

Feathers, Jul 13, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Well, Photos can create an album from pictures in whichever folders you specify.

There's the physical aspect of where the files are- that's up to you- one or many folders.
    There's the logical aspect of how you organise them into Albums in Photos.

The choice is yours.
    Search for
    guide to using photos in Windows 10
    and you find e.g.
    Organizing Photos In Win 10 | Worldstarts Tech Tips And Computer Help
    10 Things You Didnt Know the Windows 10 Photos App Could Do
    Tips to Get the Most Out of Windows 10 Features
    How to use the Windows 10 Photos app | TechRadar

dalchina, Jul 13, 2017
  7. Feathers Win User
    Very many thanks for your kind guidance, it is much appreciated. Kind regards.

Feathers, Jul 13, 2017
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Eagle51, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Are 'pictures' and 'Photos' separate from one another? - Similar Threads - Are 'pictures' 'Photos'

2. Photos not importing pictures from Pictures Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos not importing pictures from Pictures Folder: Just Reset Photos because it is not importing pictures from my Pictures Folder but is happily importing them from other folders. Option is to share but how to I get it to import them. It was working a few days ago...
  3. A program to separate pictures with faces from the ones without? (Decluttering WhatsApp Images)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A program to separate pictures with faces from the ones without? (Decluttering WhatsApp Images): submitted by /u/bigplaya6 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j05si8/a_program_to_separate_pictures_with_faces_from/
  4. how do i transfer photos from one computer to another

how do i transfer photos from one computer to another: how do I transfer pictures from one computer to another computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-transfer-photos-from-one-computer-to/afe8149b-2a36-4fd9-b5b8-3e844345797a
  5. TRANSFERING PICTURES FROM ONE LIBRARY TO ANOTHER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    TRANSFERING PICTURES FROM ONE LIBRARY TO ANOTHER: AFTER A FEBRUARY UPDATE, MY PICTURE LIBRARY, MY DOCUMENTS LIBRARY, AND MY MUSIC LIBRARY WERE ALL LOCATED IN A DIFFERENT PLACE. I WANT TO TRANSFER ALL THOSE FILES BACK TO THEIR CORRECT LIBRARIES. IS THERE A WAY TO DO THIS, AND IF SO, WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE?...
  6. cant transfer photo from one drive to another

cant transfer photo from one drive to another: cant transfer photo from one drive to another folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-transfer-photo-from-one-drive-to-another/1f454e8d-a2bd-469a-9987-e4d206b66fb5"
  7. COPY PHOTOS FROM ONE PC TO ANOTHER

COPY PHOTOS FROM ONE PC TO ANOTHER: I have over 7000 photos in file explorer on my old Toshiba laptop - What is the simplest way to copy these files to my new laptop - Both operate Windows 10 - Any advice gratefully received....
  8. Moving pictures from one folder to another

Moving pictures from one folder to another: How do you open 2 folders side by side so you can drag and drop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-pictures-from-one-folder-to-another/2ea83dc2-e384-4573-90fa-cc81f140d97a"
  9. Saving photos from Photos to Pictures in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving photos from Photos to Pictures in Windows 10: When I take a photo on my iPhone, the photo is automatically added to the Photos app on my PC - Windows 10. But, when I save the same photo to the Pictures file/program, a duplicate copy is made in the Photos app. Is there a way to stop a duplicate copy from being made ? I...
  10. move photo from email to pictures

move photo from email to pictures: move photo https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-photo-from-email-to-pictures/392e62b4-0076-4b49-9b48-2b775b26e0d8"