Windows 10: Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?

Discus and support Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Just because it is said by MS, it has to be true, that would be the first. I prefer facts over fictions and even on this forums it has been confirmed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Sumit Dhiman, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?

I like this answer. I have indeed seen registry cleaners improve performance, but the improvements are slight, and there had to be a lot of crap left around to start with. Still I do like a tidy system. However, you have to watch because sometimes there unused file associations that are removed, and that can break applications.

Jody Thornton, Dec 26, 2015
  2. Joanne Win User

After a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro, which in my case happens relatively regularly, meaning each time MS releases an official ISO both for slow and fast rings - the first tool installed is always CCleaner Pro. The second is always Revo Unistaller Pro. I always run the cleaner and the Registry cleaner right after clean installing, and it cleans lots of obsolete Registry values. I then set CCleaner to continuously monitor the system and clean it "if cleaning saves more than 0,1 GB". I also manually clean the Registry often, and for sure each time I uninstall a program (with Revo). I've done this for years on Windows 7 Home Premium and I keep my habit with Windows 10 Pro. I have never (ever) faced any issues.

Joanne, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Same here I have the Pro version of Ccleaner and have had no issues with it at all or Revo, so those that say they do must be doing something wrong.
    I like how Ccleaner monitors in the background then when you come out of a site/forum it cleans up wasted disc space the was left behind.
    Would never ever not use it, and yes one of the first things I install on any system I work on and recommend to friends.

hTconeM9user, Dec 26, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?

Technically you really don't need a registry cleaner. Ccleaner is nice for general clean up of left over junk but when it comes to cleaning a registry it's not going to do much if anything to improve performance. When an entry dies in the registry it's just bypassed and the amount of space it will take up is so miniscule that it's not necessary to remove.

In the pre Vista days cleaning a registry was far more necessary than it is with say, Win7 through Win10.

BunnyJ, Dec 26, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    *Ditto

CountMike, Dec 26, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Let me take a minute to add to my comments.

First if anyone uses a registry cleaner make sure you back up the registry first, Why?? Let's say something that worked before you clean the registry stops after the cleaning it's a good bet the cause for this new issue was the cleaning and restoring it back to the state before the cleaning might just fix the new issue.

Second, I've never used a registry cleaner and I don't need to. Again why?? Simple.. removing entries from the registry that I didn't create might cause problems. And the only changes I do make to the registry are entries I add to include items in the context menu such as .. snipping tool.. paint.. command prompt and the recycling bin.
    That's it.. and my PC .. well just works, fast and stable

BunnyJ, Dec 26, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    A system image, tweaked to a pristine 'T' would be a better solution than running reg cleaners all the time.

Edwin, Dec 26, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

If one uses Ccleaner or any other reg cleaner and uses VMware Player, it will nuke your VM(happened to me a couple of times). Now I use Hyper-V I don't have that problem. I only use the reg cleaner part after playing around with 3rd party customization tools and uninstalling them, that mess with Windows symbolic & hard links.

Cliff S, Dec 26, 2015
  9. Some are more aggressive than others but all carry an unnecessary risk and my advice is to avoid them.

cyberrufus, Dec 26, 2015
  10. Trust_No1 Win User
    I use CCleaner, SlimCleaner and Revo...

I have never encountered a problem, and find that it actually does increase my performance. But I demo a lot of different software and if I remove something there is always junk left behind.

I use it mainly if I needed to reinstall something. I am forever removing Office and then a year later putting it back on or other things. Malawarebytes comes to mind. So, I always use them after a removal. It really has very little to do with Windows 10, so I find the topic a bit misleading.

And honestly, the opinion comes from a Microsoft employee, a bit biased I would think.

Trust_No1, Dec 26, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I think if you did a bit more research you would find that the thoughts on not using a registry cleaner comes from many sources and not just one MS employee.

BunnyJ, Dec 26, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Even in Ccleaner's own forums they recommend against using it as a "maintenance" option. And only using it for searching for something specific while troubleshooting.

Cliff S, Dec 26, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Not surprised. It's a nice tool to cleanup other things but keep it away from the good old registry. Heck.. I wish MS could phase out the registry for something better and that no one could access. That would cut down on some issues people encounter I recon.

*Wink

BunnyJ, Dec 26, 2015
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Or they could do like in Linux and make EVERTHING a file, and confuse the heck out of everyone. "Hmmm what hapens when I link all my music and photos to the zero file(/dev/zero )?"

Cliff S, Dec 26, 2015
  15. Perhaps, if Windows 10 own uninstaller was more efficient, then there wouldn't be any leftover bits in the registry to clean.
    If Revo and the like can do it, why can't the software developers at MS?

Cornishman, Dec 26, 2015
Thema:

1. Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Are Registry Cleaners

2. Windows 11 registry cleaner?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 registry cleaner?: Hello. I just wanted to ask , is there is any tool or a setting within Windows 11 that lets you clean the junk in registry Things that are left after uninstalling a game or anything else? I often find old junk from games I have played a while ago in registry that hasn't been...
  3. Windows 11 registry cleaner?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 registry cleaner?: Hello. I just wanted to ask , is there is any tool or a setting within Windows 11 that lets you clean the junk in registry Things that are left after uninstalling a game or anything else? I often find old junk from games I have played a while ago in registry that hasn't been...
  4. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Cleaner: I was looking for ways to boost my computer's performance, so I thought getting a registry cleaner would help. I did some research and the two most highly rated cleaners were Iolo System Mechanic and CCleaner. I'm not sure which is safer and more amateur friendly, so I wanted...
  5. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry Cleaner: Hello, I need to use a Registry Cleaner for Dell Windows 10; Is it guarantee the functionality of the application? Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-cleaner/5b375af5-c765-4005-84ec-1b8dccc1e065
  6. External Registry Cleaner for Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External Registry Cleaner for Windows 10 ?: I ask the Community - even if it is an never ending story with that question... It is knowing that the Windows internal deinstaller doesn't work clean. so it's not strange to find a lot of empty registry entries from old software that was deinstalled. even if a external...
  7. Registry cleaners

Registry cleaners: What is your opinion about registry cleaning programs? Are they useful or not so much, and which ones would you recommend? I've been using JetClean for a while and, while it says it cleans a lot of shortcuts, RAM etc., there doesn't seem to be any noticeable improvements...
  8. REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH

REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH: REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH Is there any easier and faster way to optimize your PC than this: Step 1. Download and install Registry Cleaner Flash; Step 2. Run it and scan your PC errors; Step 3. Click the Cure button. Done! And then it is a renewed PC at your hand. You even...
  9. What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using: Win 10 til July I did way to much testing, trial and error on various tools, apps, utilities, etc. I'm afraid of most website reviews because of malware and false positive reviews because of affiliation. Is there something else great like CCleaner that has both disk cleaning...
  10. Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!: I have used Ccleaner and REVO to clean and maintain my Windows environment. So I am looking for your thoughts and comments as to what you recommend for cleaning Windows and Windows registry. And if you could add why I would really appreciate it. I feel that registry...