Windows 10: Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?

Discus and support Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Perhaps, if Windows 10 own uninstaller was more efficient, then there wouldn't be any leftover bits in the registry to clean. If Revo and the like can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Sumit Dhiman, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?

Windows uninstaller is only a link to the 3rd party software's uninstaller. "If the 3rd party developers weren't so sloppy with their uninstallers", would be more correct to say.

Cliff S, Dec 26, 2015
  2. Edwin New Member

Most of us re-install Windows so often, we don't need a reg cleaner! (Well..., I do, anyway!) *Wink

Edwin, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Cliff S New Member
    Or just install only software you really need, and not "collect" it.

Cliff S, Dec 26, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

What's the fun in that??? *Wink

BunnyJ, Dec 26, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Well you could get a bunch of software and run it in a VM, then use a prior checkpoint to get rid of it after testing. One should have enough information then to decide if you want it on your system or not then.*Biggrin

Cliff S, Dec 26, 2015
  6. kuliddar Win User
    I just do a complete reformat once a year or so. Solves any potential issues over time software side. I was big on these cleaner, tune up, optimizer software a few years back and found they were either worthless or caused side effects to your computer. Rather save my money and do a yearly sweep.

kuliddar, Dec 26, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Not a bad idea but if one has lots of software they use that could be an issue. But I do like the concept. *Smile

Jeff
    PS, welcome to the forums.. *Wink

BunnyJ, Dec 26, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

I'm an awful packrat when it comes to SW and ammo. That would never work for me.

CountMike, Dec 26, 2015
  9. Almighty1 Win User
    I'm still using the one in Norton Utilities 16 and before that Norton SystemWorks for the last 18 years, it cleans daily automatically and has never caused problems. jv16 used to be very popular but every once in awhile, it will cause issues as it requires picking what you want removed after the scan.

Almighty1, Dec 26, 2015
  10. Trust_No1 Win User
    Most things just barely work in VM, using VM to demo software is not what I would call a demo. IMHO

Again this really isn't a debate about Windows 10, though I think the article tried to make it so. Sounds more like a sales pitch to get 10 in the spotlight, than a real article. CCleaner is certainly not perfect, but for some it seems to help. Wasn't it Microsoft who, developed WindowsOne that was a cleaning tool somewhat like CCleaner, that went through and removed certain things, and clean up Windows? Why did they stop that? Could it have been that CCleaner did a better job?

Personally the more I use Windows 10, the less I like it. So for me, I will just keep using those old programs like CCleaner to keep past versions running.

Trust_No1, Dec 26, 2015
  11. Geneo Win User
    And just how exactly has that been proved - what facts? Even if programs leave behind entiries in the registry, it doesn't matter - it will not affect performance.

Geneo, Dec 27, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    You might have no issues since it does nothing that's important. Oh and make sure you back up the registry before you run any cleaner. The vast majority of evidence suggests that cleaners do nothing to improve a PC's performance and might cause more harm than good.

BunnyJ, Dec 27, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Simple.. users of Ccleaner and other tools have convinced themselves that it improves performance, that's why. I personally would like to see some data that shows these improvements and not just gut feeling reports.

BunnyJ, Dec 27, 2015
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    That is only YOUR Opinion....which I do NOT agree with. Everytime this subject comes up, everyone has their own thoughts and opinions. This debate has been going on for years....with no end in sight it seems. I could debate this issue, but I am just tired of this age old debate. You are entitled to your opinion Jeff.....and I to mine.

OldMike65, Dec 27, 2015
  15. Driver updates are a much bigger risk to an OS/system, than Registry cleaners.
    I've never had a Registry cleaner destroy my system (totally unbootable) but I have had driver updates do it.

I have CCleaner and Glary Utilities installed on my "real" PC and in my Windows VMs (VMware).

I've been using both of them for years and I've only ever experienced one noteworthy issue.
    I used CCleaner or Glary Utilities (not sure which now) in a W7 VM that had MS Project 2010 installed in it.
    MS Project 2010 seems to create a large number of empty keys and if they aren't present you can't load existing projects.

I only needed to use Project for a couple of my TAFE subjects, so it was only a minor annoyance.

As I've stated previously (IMO) the Registry's main purpose is DRM (i.e. to prevent you from successfully copying your installation and software).

Plain text config files are superior to the Registry system.
    Most software used to (effectively) use them, "before the dark times ... before the Registry".

MS reintroduced "desktop.ini" files, because storing customisation data in the Registry turned out to be unmanageable.

Agreed.

Unnecessary Registry keys may increase the "Attack Surface" on a PC (like unnecessary services).

Removing 4 GB of crap from someone's Internet cache definitely improves performance.

If no garbage accumulates in a Windows install, why do some people reinstall Windows every few months and then claim that their PC runs much better?

lehnerus2000, Dec 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Are Registry Cleaners

2. Windows 11 registry cleaner?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 registry cleaner?: Hello. I just wanted to ask , is there is any tool or a setting within Windows 11 that lets you clean the junk in registry Things that are left after uninstalling a game or anything else? I often find old junk from games I have played a while ago in registry that hasn't been...
  3. Windows 11 registry cleaner?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 registry cleaner?: Hello. I just wanted to ask , is there is any tool or a setting within Windows 11 that lets you clean the junk in registry Things that are left after uninstalling a game or anything else? I often find old junk from games I have played a while ago in registry that hasn't been...
  4. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Cleaner: I was looking for ways to boost my computer's performance, so I thought getting a registry cleaner would help. I did some research and the two most highly rated cleaners were Iolo System Mechanic and CCleaner. I'm not sure which is safer and more amateur friendly, so I wanted...
  5. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry Cleaner: Hello, I need to use a Registry Cleaner for Dell Windows 10; Is it guarantee the functionality of the application? Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-cleaner/5b375af5-c765-4005-84ec-1b8dccc1e065
  6. External Registry Cleaner for Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External Registry Cleaner for Windows 10 ?: I ask the Community - even if it is an never ending story with that question... It is knowing that the Windows internal deinstaller doesn't work clean. so it's not strange to find a lot of empty registry entries from old software that was deinstalled. even if a external...
  7. Registry cleaners

Registry cleaners: What is your opinion about registry cleaning programs? Are they useful or not so much, and which ones would you recommend? I've been using JetClean for a while and, while it says it cleans a lot of shortcuts, RAM etc., there doesn't seem to be any noticeable improvements...
  8. REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH

REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH: REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH Is there any easier and faster way to optimize your PC than this: Step 1. Download and install Registry Cleaner Flash; Step 2. Run it and scan your PC errors; Step 3. Click the Cure button. Done! And then it is a renewed PC at your hand. You even...
  9. What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using: Win 10 til July I did way to much testing, trial and error on various tools, apps, utilities, etc. I'm afraid of most website reviews because of malware and false positive reviews because of affiliation. Is there something else great like CCleaner that has both disk cleaning...
  10. Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!: I have used Ccleaner and REVO to clean and maintain my Windows environment. So I am looking for your thoughts and comments as to what you recommend for cleaning Windows and Windows registry. And if you could add why I would really appreciate it. I feel that registry...