Windows 10: Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?

Discus and support Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Driver updates are a much bigger risk to an OS/system, than Registry cleaners. I've never had a Registry cleaner destroy my system (totally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Sumit Dhiman, Dec 26, 2015.

1. OldMike65 Win User

Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?

*Thumbs*Thumbs*Thumbs

OldMike65, Dec 27, 2015
  2. Geneo Win User

Seriously? Where does that come from. Have you ever heard of any attack that was enabled by an unused registry key? If an attacker has access to your registry, he can do whatever he wants, but how would an unused registry key be of use to the attacker if they don't have access to your registry?

Geneo, Dec 27, 2015
  3. Geneo Win User
    I don't clean my registry and my PC has never slowed down. I don't reinstall either.

The only thing I ever do is remove unused devices from the device manager (show all devices, even ones not in use, and uninstall them). Those are the only registry entries that might matter, and that is the proper way to remove them,

Geneo, Dec 27, 2015
  4. arachnaut Win User

For me a registry cleaner like CCleaner gives me an idea about the attention to detail in an install.

For example, when a Silverlight update occurs, I see about 105,000 different language packs are referred to and never used.

This is very common on Windows installs - more things get installed or referred to than you will ever use. A type of BLOAT.

I can see why MS might be embarrassed by these tools and discourage their usage.

CCleaner is mostly harmless and quite entertaining.

arachnaut, Dec 27, 2015
  5. +1.Tried and tested.

Sumit Dhiman, Dec 27, 2015
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto

7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto. . .This is what I do. . .only because of the problems I have with my brain always being on vacation. . .*Smile

8. LEE
    Lee Win User

I am not sure when I last used a cleaner, albeit it had to be prior to 1 Oct, 2006 when my brain decided to go on vacation. If I attempted to use one now it would end up being one big mess, and I would forget to back it up, thus ending up having to do a reinstall. . .*really

9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

my own view on this is that if you need a registry cleaner then you should either re-install windows from new or restore from a good backup.

These days with really cheap storage there's NO EXCUSE WHATEVER for not taking loads of backups -- I always take one before installing software in case the software doesn't work, I don't like it or I prefer the "previous" version.

A decent windows backup - especially if you use SSD's won't take more than around 15 mins even on quite modest hardware.

Fiddling around with the registry is usually an invitation to disaster . Unless you really have to and know what you are doing leave well alone or practice on a Virtual Machine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 27, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Just wondering how anyone could accumulate 4gb of internet cache?? Really???

BunnyJ, Dec 27, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Mike.. when you can provide facts to back up your opinion we can have a discussion. Up till now you haven't supplied any.

BunnyJ, Dec 27, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    I'll take this opportunity to re-answer the original question -
    Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10? :

No.

Edwin, Dec 27, 2015
  13. OldMike65 Win User

That's my point Jeff, I really don't want to keep discussing registry cleaning, good vs bad. I've been cleaning my registry for years, with out it causing any problems on any version of windows that I was running. I don't need to prove it to you Jeff, my proof is how my Windows runs for me. The 2 small problems I have with Windows 10 is not related to cleaning my registry, but it is a bug in Windows 10. Which, I hear is or has been fixed in the latest Insider builds. Like I have said before I've been cleaning my registry for years now, without any problems. If cleaning my registry did crash my system, then I would re-think about cleaning the registry. I also always have made backups, mainly because I never know these days what might happen with some of these updates from MS. And most programs that do clean your registry always make a backup of your registry anyhow, incase the user wants to go back to a previous date. So I have 2 different backups, Image backups, and registry backups. Never had to use one of my Registry backups yet....not once.
    Bottom line Jeff, cleaning one's registry is the users choice, having to prove the merits of cleaning my registry to anyone is just not needed for me. *really

OldMike65, Dec 27, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    It is. your choice and I never said you can't do it..have at it anyway and have a great day!

BunnyJ, Dec 27, 2015
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Well same to you Jeff AND hoping you and yours has a GREAT new year too!!!!! *Smile
    If you want too Jeff, you can take a peek at my post on "Show your Reliability History" msg# 76 where I posted a pic of my latest reliability screenshot. *Wink

OldMike65, Dec 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Are Registry Cleaners

2. Windows 11 registry cleaner?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 registry cleaner?: Hello. I just wanted to ask , is there is any tool or a setting within Windows 11 that lets you clean the junk in registry Things that are left after uninstalling a game or anything else? I often find old junk from games I have played a while ago in registry that hasn't been...
  3. Windows 11 registry cleaner?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 registry cleaner?: Hello. I just wanted to ask , is there is any tool or a setting within Windows 11 that lets you clean the junk in registry Things that are left after uninstalling a game or anything else? I often find old junk from games I have played a while ago in registry that hasn't been...
  4. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Cleaner: I was looking for ways to boost my computer's performance, so I thought getting a registry cleaner would help. I did some research and the two most highly rated cleaners were Iolo System Mechanic and CCleaner. I'm not sure which is safer and more amateur friendly, so I wanted...
  5. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry Cleaner: Hello, I need to use a Registry Cleaner for Dell Windows 10; Is it guarantee the functionality of the application? Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-cleaner/5b375af5-c765-4005-84ec-1b8dccc1e065
  6. External Registry Cleaner for Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External Registry Cleaner for Windows 10 ?: I ask the Community - even if it is an never ending story with that question... It is knowing that the Windows internal deinstaller doesn't work clean. so it's not strange to find a lot of empty registry entries from old software that was deinstalled. even if a external...
  7. Registry cleaners

Registry cleaners: What is your opinion about registry cleaning programs? Are they useful or not so much, and which ones would you recommend? I've been using JetClean for a while and, while it says it cleans a lot of shortcuts, RAM etc., there doesn't seem to be any noticeable improvements...
  8. REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH

REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH: REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH Is there any easier and faster way to optimize your PC than this: Step 1. Download and install Registry Cleaner Flash; Step 2. Run it and scan your PC errors; Step 3. Click the Cure button. Done! And then it is a renewed PC at your hand. You even...
  9. What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using: Win 10 til July I did way to much testing, trial and error on various tools, apps, utilities, etc. I'm afraid of most website reviews because of malware and false positive reviews because of affiliation. Is there something else great like CCleaner that has both disk cleaning...
  10. Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!: I have used Ccleaner and REVO to clean and maintain my Windows environment. So I am looking for your thoughts and comments as to what you recommend for cleaning Windows and Windows registry. And if you could add why I would really appreciate it. I feel that registry...