Windows 10: Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?

Discus and support Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; What's the bet that system cleaners delete the accumulated "surveillance" data that MS wants to sell? Seriously? Where does that come from. Have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Sumit Dhiman, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?

What's the bet that system cleaners delete the accumulated "surveillance" data that MS wants to sell?

Note the use of the word "may".

Empty keys are probably not an issue, depending exactly how Registry permissions and software interacts.
    Leftover keys can contain anything, including commands:For example, .ccd key > "C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe" /MODE WRITE /SOURCE "%1"
    I hypothesise that they could be used in a multi-part attack; contaminated "trialware" installers in combination with special files or Internet sites.
    The uninstaller for the contaminated installer uninstalls the program, but it "accidentally" leaves a stack of keys, which are used by the real attack.

All OS installs slow down over time, even Linux Distros.
    My W10 IP VM with a handful of software (without Office or Adobe bloatware) takes twice as long to boot, as an empty W10 IP VM took.

In W7, winsxs seems to fill up with junk.
    A clean install of the OS and using latest program installers, seems to run faster than an old install (on my PC).

My W7 used to sometimes boot up in ~30 seconds (even just after SP1).
    Before I replaced my HDD with an SSD (a few weeks ago) it rarely booted in under ~55 seconds.

Most ordinary users don't create Backup Images OR run Registry Cleaners.

The first time I tried CCleaner was pre-W7 (on XP) and my Internet cache had 2 GB of junk in it.

In 2012, I cleaned a friend's mother's XP machine and it had 4 GB of junk.
    I assume that it was still the original install and no cleaners (including Disk Cleanup) had ever been run on it.

Even though I almost never use IE10, CCleaner always finds entries in the Internet cache (FF/PM use their own cache folder).

I've tried some IObit software (several years ago) and I wasn't impressed.

lehnerus2000, Dec 28, 2015
  2. XweAponX Win User

Oh hell yah, CCleaner still comes up with hundreds of old entries.

XweAponX, Dec 28, 2015
  3. I have to say though, that I turfed a Vista installation by ridding of registry entries (in CCleaner by the way) that pertained to the 1.1x branch of the .NET Framework. Also a lot of registry cleaners detect unused file associations and prompt for their removal, and then when you need that file extension, it may not work (as opposed to asking you what program to use). Just need to be careful, that's all

Jody Thornton, Dec 29, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?

Almost Zero

5. CountMike New Member
    Actually it may go into minus too, IObit is also know for spying !!!

CountMike, Dec 29, 2015
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Interesting reading. . .not sure who is right or wrong, so I guess I'll just sit back, and think on it for a while. . .oh wait. . .thinking is not one of my best suits. . .*Smile

7. Edwin New Member
    MS would rather you didn't muck around cleaning the Registry, if they did, they'd have included a utility to do so!

Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10? [​IMG]
    *Wink

Edwin, Dec 29, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

That's so true - they'd clearly rather you didn't shutdown your PC either or they'd have given us a button to do that *Wink

9. OldMike65 Win User
    Ahhh they do give ya a shutdown button.....at least we have the option to shutdown the computer. I use it every nite. *Smile

OldMike65, Dec 29, 2015
  10. larc919 Win User
    ...that would be a pale and bug-laden imitation of existing third party programs such as CCleaner.

larc919, Dec 29, 2015
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Well, there used to be one from MS a very long time ago. I think it was called regclean.exe. Probably part of a resource kit or so.

Besides that, the logic in that statement is rather flawed IMHO.
    Not saying it's a must do but I still feel it's good housekeeping if you know what you're doing.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 29, 2015
  12. Actually in discussion about 7 while still in beta form people at TechNet were warning about the overuse of register cleaners ending up trashing Windows when removing important entries some cleaner saw as obsolete or removed by mistake. People were getting too reliant on having a cleaner in use all the time leading to all types of support requests you could trace back to some reg cleaning app!

The regcleaner.exe was never actually any MS utility but an executable placed on the drive by a 3rd party app if not some trojan dropper.

The Filenet site is generally quite accurate when you need to find things out about any file. regclean.exe Windows process - What is it?

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Are Registry Cleaners

2. Windows 11 registry cleaner?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 registry cleaner?: Hello. I just wanted to ask , is there is any tool or a setting within Windows 11 that lets you clean the junk in registry Things that are left after uninstalling a game or anything else? I often find old junk from games I have played a while ago in registry that hasn't been...
  3. Windows 11 registry cleaner?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 registry cleaner?: Hello. I just wanted to ask , is there is any tool or a setting within Windows 11 that lets you clean the junk in registry Things that are left after uninstalling a game or anything else? I often find old junk from games I have played a while ago in registry that hasn't been...
  4. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Cleaner: I was looking for ways to boost my computer's performance, so I thought getting a registry cleaner would help. I did some research and the two most highly rated cleaners were Iolo System Mechanic and CCleaner. I'm not sure which is safer and more amateur friendly, so I wanted...
  5. Registry Cleaner

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry Cleaner: Hello, I need to use a Registry Cleaner for Dell Windows 10; Is it guarantee the functionality of the application? Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-cleaner/5b375af5-c765-4005-84ec-1b8dccc1e065
  6. External Registry Cleaner for Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External Registry Cleaner for Windows 10 ?: I ask the Community - even if it is an never ending story with that question... It is knowing that the Windows internal deinstaller doesn't work clean. so it's not strange to find a lot of empty registry entries from old software that was deinstalled. even if a external...
  7. Registry cleaners

Registry cleaners: What is your opinion about registry cleaning programs? Are they useful or not so much, and which ones would you recommend? I've been using JetClean for a while and, while it says it cleans a lot of shortcuts, RAM etc., there doesn't seem to be any noticeable improvements...
  8. REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH

REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH: REGISTRY CLEANER FLASH Is there any easier and faster way to optimize your PC than this: Step 1. Download and install Registry Cleaner Flash; Step 2. Run it and scan your PC errors; Step 3. Click the Cure button. Done! And then it is a renewed PC at your hand. You even...
  9. What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What disk cleaner/registry cleaner are you using: Win 10 til July I did way to much testing, trial and error on various tools, apps, utilities, etc. I'm afraid of most website reviews because of malware and false positive reviews because of affiliation. Is there something else great like CCleaner that has both disk cleaning...
  10. Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!: I have used Ccleaner and REVO to clean and maintain my Windows environment. So I am looking for your thoughts and comments as to what you recommend for cleaning Windows and Windows registry. And if you could add why I would really appreciate it. I feel that registry...