Windows 10: Are there Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot license restrictions?

Discus and support Are there Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot license restrictions? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When Windows 10 comes out, I'll upgrade my 7 Pro license to 10. I really want a dual boot environment. I know how to build a 7 / 10 dual boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ComputerGeek, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Are there Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot license restrictions?

When Windows 10 comes out, I'll upgrade my 7 Pro license to 10.

I really want a dual boot environment. I know how to build a 7 / 10 dual boot machine. Question is about licensing.

Can I legally use my current Win 7 license along with the free upgrade license Windows 10 to dual boot the machine?

Or would i need a Win 7 license and a separate Win 10 license (one which isn't just an upgrade of the Win 7 license?)

:)

ComputerGeek, Jun 14, 2015

2. Dual boot for Windows 10

To answer your question as asked: No, you cannot dual-boot with it; unless you already have an unused Windows 7/8.1 license you can setup the dual boot with now and upgrade that license to Windows 10.

Shenan Stanley, Jun 14, 2015
  3. mlg63 Win User
    No dual-boot at all?!

You are violating the windows license agreement and will not be able to activate windows 10 if you did not upgrade from windows 7 on your boot drive before doing a clean install. The free Windows 10 upgrade replaces your windows 7 license and windows 7 cannot
    be used or transferred after the upgrade. You will have to buy the license to activate windows 10 if you have not purchased it already.

If you are willing to purchase the win 10 license to activate it, here are dual boot instructions but windows 10 can be difficult to dual boot-- (win 7 instructions are the same for win 10)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-multiple-operating-system-multiboot#1TC=windows-7

Custom installation of the newest version with drive options is the key to dual booting. Changing boot order in the bios doesn't apply to dual boot. You will have to do a Custom Clean reinstall windows 10. Consider just staying with windows 7 until you replace
    the computer.

mlg63, Jun 14, 2015
  4. Phone Man Win User

Are there Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot license restrictions?

Legally the W10 Upgrade replaces the W7 license and you can't use both at the same time.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jun 14, 2015
  5. Makes logical sense.. and kinda deep down what i expected. Thanks for the reply (i guess i was hoping at against hope lol)

ComputerGeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Are there Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot license restrictions?

1. Are there Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot license restrictions? - Similar Threads - Are Dual Boot

2. Windows 10 on dual-boot license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 on dual-boot license: I have a custom-built computer with a full copy of Windows 10 Pro. It's not an OEM license. I installed Linux in a partition and now I dual-boot. Most of the time, I prefer to run Linux. Can I use my Windows 10 license in a virtual machine while I'm running Linux?...
  3. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  4. Windows 7/10 dual boot?

Windows 7/10 dual boot?: About time I changed to Windows 10 (Pro) I guess. However, I would perhaps (still mulling pros and cons) like to have a dual boot with my current Windows 7 (Home) - the PC is 99% used for gaming (X-Plane 11) and some of the older hardware I use, and want to keep, such as a...
  5. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  6. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  7. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  8. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  9. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  10. Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7

Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7: When I ordered my new Windows 10 laptop it was ordered with a 1TB SSD, I expected it to be a single 1TB SSD, but it arrived with 2 SSDs, both of which are 500 GB and have different drive letters. The first SSD is the Windows 10 op sys drive with installed apps. The second one...