Windows 10: Are these logs and xml files in this hidden folder normal?

Discus and support Are these logs and xml files in this hidden folder normal? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, This is my first time posting but I've been reading the 7 forums for a while. I need someone smarter than me to offer some help. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paigeorge, Feb 2, 2016.

1. paigeorge Win User

Are these logs and xml files in this hidden folder normal?

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting but I've been reading the 7 forums for a while. I need someone smarter than me to offer some help. I've discovered a hidden folder on my C Drive and there are a number of logs and xml files inside. At first, I was denied access to all of them, but I changed the permissions. I'm not sure what they are and I was hoping someone here would take a look at let me know if it is appears normal and safe. I should point out that my entire household is a little overly paranoid right now because one of our neighbors was involuntarily made a client on another one of our neighbor's networks. Neighbor #2 was acting as a remote administrator and uploading data from neighbor #1. This was accomplished through access to hardware. Well, neighbor #2 also has access to some of our hardware. I should point out that we are all U-Verse customers. So, I'm on the lookout for anything that looks suspicious. If someone could take a look and let me know if this is normal, I would appreciate it, and I apologize if my concern or lack of knowledge is bothersome.

This is a Windows 10 desktop with a clean install (not upgraded) of Win 10 from a USB dongle purchased locally and installed on or around January 19. The path is as follows: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\*
    There is also an empty folder inside Panther called "Resources" and the folder icon has 2 blue arrows which I think indicates NTFS Compression. The longest file and perhaps the most informative is setupact.log.

I'm a senior in high school and like so many others, we are using Google Chromebooks, so I'm used to sharing through Google Drive. So, I've just uploaded the folder and shared the files through the link below. If that is inappropriate, please let me know. Also, I've looked through to make sure I'm not sharing any personal info, but if you see something I missed, please let me know. And I'm sorry for going on so much.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...TlZazlIWUtPRVk

Thanks,
    Paige BTW - I posted this in another forum before I thought about posting it here. Is that frowned upon?

:)

paigeorge, Feb 2, 2016

2. PC Suite Upgrade : Phone (N70) not supported

Hi,

Can you find folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PC Suite\ConfServer\

(Application Data is hidden folder, if you don't find it do this: click Tools > Folder Options > View > select "Show hidden files and folders" > OK)

if you find that ConfServer folder, there should be Settings.xml, ConfSTmp"IMEI".xml and Nokia;SuiteConf;"Model";"IMEI".xml

-> what file is missing?

miksu---01, Feb 2, 2016
  3. Blank Uninstall this app now because it isn't compatible with Windows 10.

Hi!

Open the hidden folder, C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\

Then, go to Sources\Panther\ subfolder. Sort files by date.

Find file named <some symbols>_APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml

Open it in Notepad. This is setup log in XML format.

Search the string: <Property Name="DT_ANY_FMC_BlockingApplication" Value="TRUE".

This string is located in Property list "Decision Maker" XML-section.

Look some strings up, there should be XML-value of the "Asset" XML-property.

In "Property-List Type Inventory" section you can find the program path ("lower case long path" XML-attribute).

Uninstall this program, and run setup again.

Repeat these steps, for all founded strings with BlockingApplication=True value.

As for me, Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10.0 blocked the upgrade to Anniversary update. After uninstall this antivirus, installation of the upgrade was successful.

Konstantin Chistyakov, Feb 2, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hi Paige and welcome to the Ten Forums!

From memory I think I had these files on my system. They are all connected with the installation of W10 and are nothing sinister.

Windows has a way of cleaning up old system installation files (which I'll show in the tutorial below) or you can leave them there, your choice.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Feb 2, 2016
  5. paigeorge Win User
    Philc43, thank you for the quick response. I'm curious if creating a new user account would result in these files being generated, because the properties dialog shows all of these as being created 2/1/2016 12:06 PM , but I installed Windows at least a week earlier. I did create a new user account AROUND that time, so maybe that's why they were created.

paigeorge, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Are these logs and xml files in this hidden folder normal? - Similar Threads - Are logs xml

2. hide normal file/folders while still showing ALL the hidden system files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hide normal file/folders while still showing ALL the hidden system files: So, I I've been trying to find a way to still be able to have hidden folders and files but still have every system file visible because I'm messing around and editing them constantly. I tried toggling show hidden files with hide system files unchecked but you know how that...
  3. hide normal file/folders while still showing ALL the hidden system files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hide normal file/folders while still showing ALL the hidden system files: So, I I've been trying to find a way to still be able to have hidden folders and files but still have every system file visible because I'm messing around and editing them constantly. I tried toggling show hidden files with hide system files unchecked but you know how that...
  4. Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden: Hello,I have a situation where files that are newly added to a hidden folder which is temporarily unhidden so I can access it do not inherit the hidden property of the folder. In other words, the files are not automatically hidden. These files still show up in the Quick...
  5. Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden

Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden: Hello,I have a situation where files that are newly added to a hidden folder which is temporarily unhidden so I can access it do not inherit the hidden property of the folder. In other words, the files are not automatically hidden. These files still show up in the Quick...
  6. XML Files

XML Files: Hi folks! Just registered to this forum and glad to have found it. So I was installing Ubuntu on my computer which already had windows 10.I wanted to have a dual OS. Things went south and windows got deleted/ over written or whatever. I used a hard drive recovery device to...
  7. search for hidden files & folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    search for hidden files & folders: I have studied the "Advanced Query Syntax" document at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965711(v=vs.85).aspx but I cannot find an answer to this question: How do I SEARCH FOR (not just show) folders and files whose properties include as an attribute that the...
  8. HIDDEN hidden folders

in Windows 10 Support
    HIDDEN hidden folders: I was doing backing up of certain files, reg files in particular (take ownership, add copyto, etc) I was using "everything" programs which lists files on all drives. I came across one reg disableanti.reg in a very odd place.I viewed the file in note pad and it said it...
  9. Searching hidden files/folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching hidden files/folders: This is what I do: In explorer, browse to C:/Username Start a search there containing a folder name I know is in C:/Username/Appdata/Local The folder does not appear in search Hidden files and folders are marked to be visible everywhere. It seems like recursive search...
  10. Hidden Files and Folders Help

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden Files and Folders Help: Hi there. I have multiple hidden files on my computer. I am planning on downloading Windows 10 sometime soon. But I was wondering if I did, would I have to re-hide my currently hidden files and folders? (By the way I am currently running Windows 8.1) Any help would be...