Windows 10: Are your upload speeds to OneDrive slow?

Discus and support Are your upload speeds to OneDrive slow? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've had various internet speeds over the course of using OneDrive to store my files. I had upload speeds of 35Mb/s, 42Mb/s, and now with FIOS about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by streetwolf, May 22, 2017.

1. Are your upload speeds to OneDrive slow?

I've had various internet speeds over the course of using OneDrive to store my files. I had upload speeds of 35Mb/s, 42Mb/s, and now with FIOS about 880Mb/s.

In every case my upload speed to the OneDrive server was a fraction of my actual upload speed. Now on FIOS I'm lucky to get ~ 9MBps. I was hoping to get close to my upload speed which would be ~ 110MB/s. I got FIOS 1Gb/1Gb (almost, not quite) so I could upload quickly very large files. At the rate the upload is it would take me a long time to upload Gigs of data.

I'm guessing that the OneDrive servers are throttling maybe by limiting the number of concurrent connections. It seems to me that I'm only getting about 2-3 connections for the speed I am getting.

Anyone else see this slow upload speed? Is there anything that can be done about it other than to complain to the OneDrive team which I have already.

:)

streetwolf, May 22, 2017
  2. Sam___ Win User

To show or not show file/folder size

Hi Ques Tion,

Unfortunately File Explorer doesn't show the folder sizes like it does for file sizes. There is a 3rd party tool called

TreeSize
    (from JAM Software).

However your issue around OneDrive is interesting. You claim that it fails, if so can you provide a screenshot or the error message?

By default you should just add all the folders to OneDrive and it will sync them over time. OneDrive is intelligent so it will not use all the available bandwidth for the initial upload. Over a couple of day or weeks (depending on the size of the data) it
    will upload everything. I suspect your issue is that you have an asymmetrical internet connection (such as xDSL) and your upload speed is significantly slower than the download speed. If so, it took me almost 7 weeks to upload approx 300GB with a 2Mbps upload
    speed.

-Sam

Sam___, May 22, 2017
  3. Win 10 OneDrive Stop an upload

Hi Graham,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Forums.

If you’re experiencing slow uploading speed while uploading documents, folders or pictures from the computer, turning on Improve upload speed option might help in improving upload speed.

Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the notification area of the taskbar and click
    Settings to open Microsoft OneDrive’s settings dialog box.

On the Performance tab and make sure Improve upload speed by uploading files in batches option is turned on.

Also refer the helpful article provided below and check if it helps.

Fix OneDrive sync problems with Windows
    10, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

Hope this helps. Get back to us if you need further assistance on OneDrive.

Anish A Kumar, May 22, 2017
Thema:

Are your upload speeds to OneDrive slow?

1. Are your upload speeds to OneDrive slow? - Similar Threads - Are upload speeds

2. Slow upload speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow upload speed: My PC internet upload speed is limited to 5Mb/s for some reason. It is limited both on the wifi and over ethernet.I've tried both the ethernet cable and wifi and both limit my speed to 5Mb/s. The weird thing is that I have a NAS connected to the same network, and I can upload...
  3. Slow upload speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow upload speed: My PC internet upload speed is limited to 5Mb/s for some reason. It is limited both on the wifi and over ethernet.I've tried both the ethernet cable and wifi and both limit my speed to 5Mb/s. The weird thing is that I have a NAS connected to the same network, and I can upload...
  4. Slow upload speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. slow upload speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    slow upload speed: Fast download but extremely slow upload speed, less than .2 Mbps. Well over 30 Mbps in safe mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-upload-speed/681b3aa1-93a9-4e67-82ae-4babdb3c65d4
  6. slow upload speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    slow upload speed: Fast download but extremely slow upload speed, less than .2 Mbps. Well over 30 Mbps in safe mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-upload-speed/681b3aa1-93a9-4e67-82ae-4babdb3c65d4
  7. slow upload speed

8. apeeed slow upload speed

apeeed slow upload speed: but windows 7 install upload speed ok https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apeeed-slow-upload-speed/bbec950c-b478-4188-a8d0-dee7b1f77f26
  9. slow upload speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    slow upload speed: Have 3 computers on network. 2 have good upload of 2KB the other has upload of 0.1. Any suggestion to improve the upload by alteration of settings or anything else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-upload-speed/9d1163f2-f95f-4cb1-85f5-5387127f331a
  10. Slow upload speed

Slow upload speed: I have a cable service which is supposed to provide download speed of 300 Mbps and upload speed of 20 Mbps. My PC is connected to the service providers modem via an ethernet cable. I recently had a problem with both speeds being ultra low. A technician visited and traced...