Windows 10: Ashampoo and Audacity not finding a sound card

Discus and support Ashampoo and Audacity not finding a sound card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, after upgrading from Win 8.1, sound was fine thru laptop speakers/headphones except (so far) for Ashampoo programs and the latest Audacity, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dalchina, Aug 12, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Ashampoo and Audacity not finding a sound card

Hi, after upgrading from Win 8.1, sound was fine thru laptop speakers/headphones except (so far) for Ashampoo programs and the latest Audacity, which reported they could find no sound card.

Programs like VLC, Winamp, Zoom player, convertors from Aiseesoft, Imtoo, Aimersoft etc etc etc were fine.

This is an HPG60 214 EM laptop, using a Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 driver vn 4.0.44.0, dated 2008.
    An attempt to update shows this is the latest, as do (er hum) a couple of driver update programs.

Ashampoo says I need to contact HP, but HP only supported this laptop to Win 7 (it came with Vista).

Any suggestions as to why a few progs don't work and most do would be welcome. I assume this is some sort of low level interface issue which has become apparent in upgrading to Win 10.

So far other posts I've found have been about no sound at all after upgrading.

Thanks.

:)

dalchina, Aug 12, 2015
  2. dal987 Win User

Which of my programs are compatible with Windows 10?

Programs with compatibility issues not so shown in the Compatibility Centre:

Ashampoo programs are shown as compatible (generally) in the compatibility centre. But Ashampoo has been working for some weeks on at least 2 programs shown as compatible which fail to find sound cards using Conexant HD Audio 221 on some HP PCs. (E.g.
    Ashampoo Movie Studio 2013/2015, Burning studio 2015)

Aeroglass is not shown. If Aeroglass is installed and you upgrade then the installation fails (black screen at login).

(There is a version compatible with Win 10, but you need to have it uninstalled to upgrade).

Emco Moveonboot (needs update- not available last I checked)

Audacity up to v2.03 has been found to be ok, but with certain sound cards e.g. Conexant HD Audio 221 v2.05 and greater fail. (E.g. can't play sound- no sound card). Confirmed on their forum.

dal987, Aug 12, 2015
  3. RMerson Win User
    audio conversion

Audacity is a great audio file editor, exactly the same as the one I used with my Creative Sound Lab "Audigy" sound card. Thanks for the link

RMerson, Aug 12, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

(Compatibility mode doesn't help, by the way)

dalchina, Aug 13, 2015
  5. fireberd Win User
    Do you have "Stereo Mix" set as the default Recording Device? Audacity defaults to that for recording. You also need Stereo Mix to record audio from the Internet.

You also need the correct sound card driver. If all you have is the generic, basic function, High Definition Audio Driver (device) that says the correct sound driver is not installed.

fireberd, Aug 13, 2015
  6. Antilope Win User
    In Audacity, try recording from each of the choices given
    in EDIT, PREFERENCES, DEVICES, RECORDING, DEVICE:

That's what I did and one of them worked.

Antilope, Aug 13, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, thanks, it's not recording that's the problem (yet!) - simply playing. Sorry for not being specific enough.
    Thus if I import an audio file into Audacity and try to play it, v 2.0.3 plays the file, later versions don't - not finding a sound card.

My laptop has no 'stereo mix' option- and never has had, alas. That HP limitation has been a cause of frustration noted by others. The driver is Conexant HD Smart Audio 221 v4.58.0.0, 2008. There's nothing later available from HP.

Others have reported (in Audacity's forum) finding v2.0.3 worked for them, which is why I tried it.

*** Interestingly Windows 10 has just popped up with a message saying sthg like 'Driver enhancements for Conexant HD smart audio 221 have been causing you some problems. Would you like to turn them off?'

Any ideas?

dalchina, Aug 13, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

Ashampoo is still working on this, they say today. They asked me for several log files generated by their test tools a while back.

The problem with Audacity and particularly older HP laptops running Conexant drivers is better known, but I know of nothing being done to fix it.

dalchina, Sep 7, 2015
  9. Antilope Win User
    I don't know if this is possibly your problem, but when Audacity wouldn't work on a new Windows 10 install, I found there were some disabled and hidden audio devices in the Control Panel.

Here is how I made them visible and was then able to access them in Audacity. Maybe this will help you.

Right Click on the Start Button, select Control Panel, select Hardware and Sound, under Sound select Manage Audio Devices, select Recording, Right Click in the center of the Sound pop-up menu and make sure Show Disabled Devices is checked. Hidden Disabled devices can now be selected, Right Clicked on and Enabled, etc.

Antilope, Sep 8, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Thanks Antilope, hidden devices was already enabled. Noted you mentioned Recording- my problem is playback. E.g. in Audacity, load a sound file & try to play it.

In the Audacity forum I found a reference to Audacity not working for some beyond v2.03- exactly my case. Audacity confirmed they had made some significant changes in later versions.

dalchina, Sep 8, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    Audacity Forum View topic - InternalPortAudio error since windows 10 update
    - a four page thread on this topic.

This was the Audacity rep's recommendation:
    "The recommended fix is to install Windows 10 drivers (if available) for all the devices you are using (internal and external), obtained from the device manufacturers' sites. You have not said what devices you have so we can't comment further on those. (I gave the exact model of the laptop and version of the driver)

Or go back to your previous version of Windows. If you upgraded over the top of your previous Windows there is a button in the Settings app to go back to previous Windows. The button is there for a month."

Ah well, can't expect everything to work..and I don't HAVE to use Audacity...*Biggrin

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ashampoo and Audacity not finding a sound card - Similar Threads - Ashampoo Audacity finding

2. Audacity . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Audacity . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro. I'm trying to install, Audacity. But, it's very confusing! I can't find it. After installation? I looked in, x86 program files? I've looked, everywhere.? I even looked. In the Control Panel. To see, if it was listed....
  3. Sound Cards

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Cards: Hi! I have an old dell laptop. Is it possible to download ASIO sound card to my laptop? or is there any external sound card or drivers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-cards/3e8a3888-f755-4f2d-a26e-c1e15f59f37d
  4. Sound Card

Sound Card: HI, I have a Razer blade 2019. I am connecting my dj controller that has a built in sound card, windows recognize it and I can use it with the Serato software, but the line in volume meter do not pick up the sound coming from it and I can not use it with OBS. I can hear the...
  5. win10 version 1909 can not find sound card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win10 version 1909 can not find sound card: after upgrading to ver 1909 my audio didn't work and win10 said to install a sound card which I did now win10 can not recognize pnp sound card.. disk check said needs more installation in the kernel. I do not understand this so can you tell me what I need to do to make me...
  6. Burning CD with Ashampoo

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Burning CD with Ashampoo: I am trying to burn audio CDs using Ashampoo. When I burn a disc instead of being WAV files they turn into other kinds of files (e.g. VLC or CD Audio Track and these have no title info and are all uniformly 1KB) that cannot be played on a stereo. What is going on?...
  7. Revo or Ashampoo Uninstaller ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Revo or Ashampoo Uninstaller ?: Hi All. Has anyone use both. Revo and Ashampoo uninstaller? witch one do you recommend? Running Windows 10 home edition. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/revo-or-ashampoo-uninstaller/1005b5b9-920b-4e7d-be90-c6d8460414ce"
  8. Ashampoo's TrackOFF Elite

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ashampoo's TrackOFF Elite: This was the latest temptation which they sent me. It sounds impressive, but I wonder if it is of much, if any, benefit to the current Windows 10. Any comments anyone? 130173
  9. Error Opening Sound Device in Audacity

Error Opening Sound Device in Audacity: Hello, I have been using audacity for quite some time and recently after updating windows in april, I was no longer able to record using my behringer interface. Anyone else having any soundcard/ daw issues after latest update? Thanks!! 111353
  10. Alternatives to Audacity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alternatives to Audacity: ​​Any good free audio editors that will work with Windows 10? I basically just need a decent sound recorder. Thanks​ 19114

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ashampoo 10 will not record sound