Windows 10: Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

Discus and support Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pj04, Mar 3, 2018.

1. pj04 Win User

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login [​IMG]

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

:)

pj04, Mar 3, 2018

2. BitLocker Recovery

I have a Samsung tablet that I am currently locked out of due to a Bitlocker issue. My Mom was fooling around with the laptop and screwed something up but doesn't know what she did.

The Windows login is asking for a Bitlocker recovery key. I do not remember ever turning on Bitlocker but apparently it somehow became engaged.

I do not have a Bitlocker recovery key and have had no luck finding one. I have tried following Microsoft's directions at the following link Bitlocker
    Recovery
    but have had no luck. There is no Bitlocker recovery key linked to my Microsoft account and since I never turned on Bitlocker I obviously did not save or write down the recovery key.

I have tried resetting the computer in the "Advanced Options" section of the login screen but this does not work. When the computer reboots it goes right back to the screen which asks me to input my Bitlocker recovery key.

I thought about trying to boot from a USB stick and reinstall Windows from USB but the tablet does not have a USB slot.

I am really hoping someone can help me fix this as it has basically turned the laptop into a brick.

Thanks

David

DavidChoate1, Mar 3, 2018
  3. Bitlocker key

I have aSamsung Galaxy Pro tablet that I am currently locked out of due to a Bitlocker issue. My mom was fooling around with the laptop and screwed something up but doesn't know what she did.

The Windows login is asking for a Bitlocker recovery key. I do not remember ever turning on Bitlocker but apparently it somehow became engaged.

I do not have a Bitlocker recovery key and have had no luck finding one. I have tried following Microsoft's directions at the following link Bitlocker
    Recovery
    but have had no luck. There is no Bitlocker recovery key linked to my Microsoft account and since I never turned on Bitlocker I obviously did not save or write down the recovery key. Windows is giving me an ID # that begins with B27DFA9
    but this clearly is not the recovery key itself as I cannot type it into the recovery key line.

I have tried resetting the computer in the "Advanced Options" section of the login screen but this does not work. When the computer reboots it goes right back to the screen which asks me to input my Bitlocker recovery key. I thought about trying to boot
    from a USB stick and reinstall Windows from USB but the tablet does not have a USB drive or a dvd

I am really hoping someone can help me fix this as it has basically turned the laptop into a brick.

Thanks

David

DavidChoate1, Mar 3, 2018
  4. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

What do you mean by "didn't succeed?" What settings did you change?

If you can remember what you did and restore the previous settings then you may be able to get back into your system.

Otherwise you're out of luck if you don't have the recovery key. Bitlocker won't enable itself unless the recovery key was backed up (either to an MS account or to a file on a different drive). Is it possible that that you or a previous owner enabled it?

PolarNettles, Mar 3, 2018
  5. pj04 Win User
    Thank you PolarNettles for your reply.

No, I have never encrypted this laptop using Bitlocker. In fact, I had never heard of Bitlocker before I faced this issue (Yes, I'm that dumb). Hence, I don't have a recovery key backed-up anywhere. Does this mean my laptop is dead forever? *cry

I did't succeed in reinstalling windows because:
    1. In Secure boot disabled mode, it was asking me for bitlocker recovery key, which I didn't have.
    2. In Secure boot enabled mode, it was NOT letting me boot using the bootable USB drive. But I was able to login into my existing Windows without recovery key.

This problem started occurring when once the screen froze in bios settings and I forced shutdown my laptop by long-pressing power button.

pj04, Mar 3, 2018
  6. How did you create the bootable USB drive? If it was created correctly for UEFI boot then it should boot fine with secure boot enabled.

Bitlocker is enabled by default when you install Win10 Pro. But it doesn't get activated until someone either manually saves the recovery key, you join a corporate domain, or you sign on with a MS account. If you were using a MS account to login and it doesn't show up there - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-recovery-key - then you're out of luck.

Since you plan on wiping the drive it doesn't really matter anyway. But you can back up the recovery key by right-clicking on your drive in Explorer and selecting Manage BitLocker.

Edit: By "out of luck" I mean in situations where you couldn't go back to a working state (like you cleared the TPM or updated the BIOS in a way where you couldn't restore the old settings/version). In those cases there's nothing you can do.

7. pj04 Win User
    Thanks again!

I followed these steps to create the bootable USB drive: Install Windows from a USB Flash Drive | Microsoft Docs

Sorry, I am little confused by your answer. What do I do now, given that I don't have a recovery key and I can't reach explorer now to back up recovery key? What did you mean by "it doesn't really matter"? Yes, I'm fine with wiping the drive clean. I'm fine with anything to make my laptop work again. Even installing Ubuntu is fine with me too.

pj04, Mar 3, 2018
  8. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

Just to clarify, there are 2 issues here:
    1. You can't boot to the USB to format your drive and install Windows.
    2. You can't log back in to your current Windows installation due to the Bitlocker issue.

#2 doesn't matter because you're going to wipe the drive in #1. If you format your drive then Bitlocker goes away also.

That should work. Do you have an \efi\boot\bootx64.efi file on your USB? What error do you get when you tell your BIOS to boot to the USB?

I meant for the future you should manually save the recovery key even if you log in with a MS account. As I mentioned above, if you wipe your drive then Bitlocker gets wiped also and you are free to use your drive however you want.

9. pj04 Win User
    That's good to know. Thank you for taking time to explain this to me so nicely. I was under the impression that I need to solve #2 first, before I could solve #1.

Yes, I do have the file \efi\boot\bootx64.efi on my bootable windows USB. Two friends of mine have used the same USB drive to install windows on their PCs. I have now created a bootable USB drive for Ubuntu as well. But even that is not working with my laptop.

When I try to boot using USB, it doesn't do anything or gives me the same Bitlocker recovery screens I showed in the first post in this thread depending on secure boot settings.

[EDIT: Please ignore the following as I was able to remove the password from Bios.]

Also, I would like to mention that every time my laptop starts, it asks for a password even before I press 'ESC' to go into Bios menu. It is strange because I have never seen any other PC do that. Don't know if this is useful but here is a snapshot:

pj04, Mar 3, 2018
  10. The BIOS password can be disabled inside BIOS setup->Security->Administrator/User Password.

When you have your USB drive plugged in, what shows up under Bios setup->Boot Options?

Also, it looks like the X205TA only supports 32-bit OSes, so make sure you're using the right version of Windows/Ubuntu. You would have bootia32.efi instead of bootx64.efi.

11. pj04 Win User
    Thank you so much PolarNettles. YOU ARE A GENIUS. I have been using 64 bit versions and wasted more than a week of my life struggling with it.

With 32 bit Windows installer, I was able to get past BIOS. Yayy!. However, when the windows setup screen appears, my laptop keyboard and the touchpad stop working. I am not able to click Next to continue with the setup. I googled and found that many other people face similar problem with USB keyboard and mouse. I have to dig deeper and find a fix for this issue now.

Thanks again for helping me figure this out. I wouldn't have been able to do it on my own ever.

12. pj04 Win User
    I was able to use USB mouse to continue with the Windows setup. But Bitlocker is still preventing me from installing Windows. Please see the following snapshot:

13. Bree New Member

Try deleting the partition then you should be able to install to the unallocated space that creates.

Clean Install Windows 10

14. pj04 Win User
    Thank you! I deleted the drive partition and I was able to install Windows! *Biggrin

15. Bree New Member
    *Thumbs

Thought that would work. I had the same problem (and solution) when trying to clean install 64-bit to a partition that had an existing 32-bit install.

Thema:

1. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login - Similar Threads - Asking Bitlocker recovery

2. Windows keeps asking for my Bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keeps asking for my Bitlocker recovery key: Hey all,So I recently got a new eGPU which I connected to my laptop, that all works fine, but ever since I got that, 80% of the time not all of the time, which is what is so confusing when I boot or restart the PC I have to enter the Bitlocker recovery key. This is beginning...
  3. Windows keeps asking for my Bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows keeps asking for my Bitlocker recovery key: Hey all,So I recently got a new eGPU which I connected to my laptop, that all works fine, but ever since I got that, 80% of the time not all of the time, which is what is so confusing when I boot or restart the PC I have to enter the Bitlocker recovery key. This is beginning...
  4. What to do if BitLocker asks for a recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What to do if BitLocker asks for a recovery key: Technical difficulty: AdvancedApplies to: Windows 10/11A detailed explanation of what Device Encryption is, can be found here: What is device encryption, and should I use it? - Microsoft CommunityBitlocker uses the same technology but has more advanced features.Why does...
  5. Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: Windows is asking for BitLocker Recovery Key.I've already been forwarded to link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key-fd2b3501-a4b9-61e9-f5e6-2a545ad77b3eHowever my windows account says I don't have any recovery keys associated with my...
  6. BitLocker asking for recovery key after KB4535680

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker asking for recovery key after KB4535680: I have installed updates from 12th january, including KB4535680. After installation, BitLocker ask for a recovery key on boot up. Probably because the updates added dbx modules to the UEFI. This issue is also described here:...
  7. Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: My laptop has recently been stuck in a boot-loop where it keeps booting to the blue recovery menu probably because Windows is corrupted. I am unable to reset the computer as the drive is encrypted with bitlocker and I need a BitLocker Recovery Key. The problem is that I...
  8. Login always asks for bitlocker

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login always asks for bitlocker: Every time I turn on my computer I have to put the bitlocker key. After that, it always says my pin isn't set up when it is and forces me to log into my Microsoft account, just so it can ask me "are you sure you want to set up a pin when you have one". This has happened the...
  9. bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    bitlocker asking for a recovery key after windows updates: Hi Microsoft, bitlocker keeps asking for a recovery key after every monthly windows updates we get on our laptops we use HP and DELL the workaround of course is to use the recovery key stored in AD.this isn't a problem when we are dealing with two or three computers but...
  10. Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart: Hi guys, I know I had been overwhelming here with all my BitLocker and TPM related questions, but hopefully this should be my final concerns. I have BitLocker full encryption enabled on my HDD. 1. Recently, I had this issue when going to the TPM.msc console and...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. secure boot policy has unexpectedly changed

2. bitlocker recovery key win 10

3. Bit locker is asking me to sign in my Microsoft account

4. bitlocker continues to ask for key,
  5. system ask for bitlocker key but has never been used