Windows 10: asking question about .edb data files. What are they used for?

Discus and support asking question about .edb data files. What are they used for? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I posted or tried to post a question yesterday asking about .edb data files. I have several LARGE .edb data files on my desktop and wonder what they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by acmanten, Aug 16, 2015.

1. acmanten Win User

asking question about .edb data files. What are they used for?

I posted or tried to post a question yesterday asking about .edb data files.

I have several LARGE .edb data files on my desktop and wonder what they are for. The name associated with most of them starts out as "Catalog...............and long name.edb

1. I did not make them, and wonder what they are for ?
    2. and If they are needed.
    3. are they needed... and it seems they take up lots a time to backup...
    Thanks,, Cliff

:)

acmanten, Aug 16, 2015
  2. GySgt5821 Win User

Desktop.ini & Thumbs.db -What are they and are they required?

NO they are NOT semi-transparent. Yes, I could select each one individually and set them to hidden, but that would take hours! So not a valid option. Any other suggestions?

GySgt5821, Aug 16, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Desktop.ini & Thumbs.db -What are they and are they required?

These files are Windows System Files and are always present, however you must have changed settings in Windows Explorer to be seeing these files . . .

Desktop.ini contains information on icon location, along with other settings on the way your desktop is arranged

Every folder in Windows which contains images had a Thumbs.db file which contains information on the thumbnail cache for that folder

Open Windows Explorer, on the View Ribbon at the right hand side click Options.

In the resulting dialog click on the view tab and check the box marked 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'

Click Apply and OK

Then you will not be able to see these files . . .

asking question about .edb data files.  What are they used for? [​IMG]

I hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Aug 16, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

If you look at here EDB File - What is it and how do I open it? they most likely are Microsoft Exchange Server (work e-mail) or photoshop.

Do you use either?

It can also be your search database (Windows.edb file in Windows 8) but it shouldn't be on the desktop or file history (Windows 8 Pro File History data folder empty User Profiles moved - Microsoft Community) but that seems unlikely.

Why not rename them (by putting an x in front of the name and reboot. If everything works you can delete them after a few days or weeks. If they are recreated then note the time and what you were doing at the time.

5. acmanten Win User
    Thanks, and I do not use MES or photoshop. The .edb data files are not in my Desktop dir, but I am not currently at home and am not sure what folder they are located.

Thanks, and I will check when I get home today. Cliff

acmanten, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. asking question about .edb data files. What are they used for? - Similar Threads - asking question edb

2. Stellar Converter for EDB – Best Software to convert EDB file to PST

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Stellar Converter for EDB – Best Software to convert EDB file to PST: Today, we are going to explore an EDB to PST converter application, called Stellar Converter for EDB. This application promises safe and effective conversion from any EDB file of any version of Exchange Server – from 2007 to 2019, to PST and other formats. The application...
  3. Stellar Converter for EDB – Best Software to convert EDB file to PST

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Stellar Converter for EDB – Best Software to convert EDB file to PST: Today, we are going to explore an EDB to PST converter application, called Stellar Converter for EDB. This application promises safe and effective conversion from any EDB file of any version of Exchange Server – from 2007 to 2019, to PST and other formats. The application...
  4. FIles e.g., edb and Windows.jfm

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FIles e.g., edb and Windows.jfm: When I manually copy my files to another external drive, I always encounter, “Could not find this item”, I just click on Skip. The following it is not able to find are: a windows.edb b edbtemp c edb d edb0094A e edb009A5 f edb009A6 g Windows.jfm They are supposed...
  5. Asking question about Microsoft Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Asking question about Microsoft Defender: If I do not install any third-party antivirus software on my windows 10 pro PC, can only Microsoft Defender able to protect my PC from any virus attack. Please clear my confusion....
  6. Format Specification of EDB files

in Cortana
    Format Specification of EDB files: Hi, I am working in forensics and i would like to know if EDB file specifications are provided by microsoft team. I need to analyze the edge , IE and cortana...
  7. Asking about a file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Asking about a file: I have two files in different drive other than installed windows. Actually I do not know what are these files about. These files are as below: 118362.175.190612-0046.19h1_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTCONSUMER_RET_x64FRE_en-us.esd...
  8. Question about using Edgeium

in Browsers and Email
    Question about using Edgeium: I've downloaded the Stable version of Edgeium and have to admit, I'm really starting to like it -- unlike the Old Edge. I'd like to consider using it to replace Opera -- as I'm running into problems with that -- but I don't want my browsing tracked and I don't want my...
  9. A few questions about using and creating wim files

in Windows 10 Support
    A few questions about using and creating wim files: ACCIDENTAL DUPLICATE.. SORRY. I have a few questions about creating .WIM files. Can you use DISM to create a .WIM on an already installed partition from the usb windows installer. Or must you use WINDOWS PE and imagex or run it before windows is actually installed. It seemed...
  10. hiw10Want to ask question about passwords.

in Windows 10 Support
    hiw10Want to ask question about passwords.: Me, again so soon, a different question but brought to my attention by members who answered my last thread on W10 clean install. Passwords Correct me if I am wrong, but we are supposed to have a password for every site we use. We are not supposed to write those passwords...