Windows 10: Asmedia USB 3.0 drivers installation failure.

Discus and support Asmedia USB 3.0 drivers installation failure. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On a clean installation of Win 10 1703 I'm having an issue with the installation of the ASmedia USB drivers provided by Asus for my Z97-A mobo. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kol12, May 18, 2017.

1. Kol12 Win User

Asmedia USB 3.0 drivers installation failure.

On a clean installation of Win 10 1703 I'm having an issue with the installation of the ASmedia USB drivers provided by Asus for my Z97-A mobo. The exact error message during installation is the Asmedia USB Host Controller was not found.

I can't see any evidence manual or otherwise that the Z97-A actually has Asmedia USB controllers but because the driver is offered I assume it does...

Microsoft appears to have installed "their" USB drivers as seen in Device Manager but I cannot verify whether these drivers are allowing full USB functionality, i.e. USB 3.0 etc. AIDA64 reports the controllers as

USB2 Controller Intel Wildcat Point PCH - USB 2.0 EHCI Host Controller 1 and
    USB3 Controller Intel Wildcat Point PCH - USB 3.0 xHCI Host Controller

I have the program usbtreeview and if I'm reading things correctly (not certain) all of the USB ports on my board are only doing USB 1.0 speeds.

I don't recall having any issues with mobo supplied USB drivers prior to Win 1703. Has anyone got any ideas? I'm not certain as to what USB drivers Microsoft has installed but there is a reference to Asus in one of the driver details boxes in Device Manager for USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) USBHUB3.SYS and ASUSFILTER.SYS.

:)

Kol12, May 18, 2017

2. Help with BSOD death diagnosis (ran mdsched and verifier w/ results uploaded)

The file that failed was Asmedia USB 3.0 driver, not the hub one.

If you have a USB hub(multiple 3.0 ports), you should then install USB hub driver.

Sumit Dhiman2, May 18, 2017
  3. auggy Win User
    Constant BSOD after forced Windows 10 Creator Update

The Driver Verifier may have taken issue with the
    asmtxhci.sys
    which is an Asmedia USB 3.0 driver.

The asmtxhci.sys appears to de dated Jun 3, 2015.

Look for an updated Asmedia USB 3.0 driver for Windows 10 that may be available from ASUS for the motherboard or uninstall the Asmedia USB 3.0 driver (via Apps and Features) and use Windows built-in USB 3.0 drivers.

You may also benefit from updating the Intel SATA driver (Intel RST driver) if one is available.

auggy, May 18, 2017
  4. Saltgrass Win User

There is a Z97-a/USB3.1 which would be the newer board. Do you know which one you have?

New builds can introduce problems, but you may want to uninstall the current drivers and install again. They are Win 10 drivers and ASUS is normally pretty good about keeping their drivers current, although those are from 2016..

Other drivers may also be needed. Chipset drivers may have the 2.0 drivers on which the 3.0 drivers ride.

Saltgrass, May 18, 2017
  5. TairikuOkami, May 18, 2017
  6. Kol12 Win User
    That's interesting, I'm not sure how to identify my board and I can't find the release date of the USB3.1 board, but I'm going to guess mine is the older board just because 3.1 doesn't ring a bell for me.

Under the spec page for the USB3.1 Z97-A it specifically states it having an Asmedia USB controller whereas the older Z97-A doesn't, but on the older boards driver download page it offers the Asmedia USB drivers dated the same as available for the 3.1 board. Maybe my board doesn't have an Asmedia controller at all, and maybe the drivers were put on it's download page by mistake? May need to contact Asus on this...

If not a mistake then perhaps the drivers do have an issue with Win 10 1703 and need updating... Do the chipset drivers actually contain USB drivers or just some of the information needed? Do most boards generally require a dedicated USB driver?

Any idea what USB drivers Microsoft has installed? Intel Wildcat would suggest the controllers are Intel no?

Kol12, May 18, 2017
  7. Kol12 Win User
    My mobo page suggests I download Intel chipset version 10.1.1.7 dated 23/07/15 which I already have installed. Do I need the newer version?

The ASmedia driver you linked to looks current, any idea why Asus don't have the updated driver? Is this driver likely to be more successful?

Is it best to uninstall any currently installed driver version before attempting the new installation?

Edit: If it makes any difference, all of my USB ports appear to be working, I just can't verify they're operating optimally...

Kol12, May 18, 2017
  8. Asmedia USB 3.0 drivers installation failure.

Motherboard manufacturers only post drivers, they have tested, they do not bother updating, since it takes time and money, especially on older products. They expect users to update them as needed.

TairikuOkami, May 18, 2017
  9. Kol12 Win User
    Does it seem odd that the Z97-A spec page doesn't mention Asmedia as a USB controller but has the Asmedia drivers? The Z97-A USB3.1 model that Saltgrass brought up does state Asmedia controller.

I will try installing the Latest Asmedia drivers and see how it goes.

Kol12, May 18, 2017
  10. Kol12 Win User
    I've had someone over at the Asus forums tell me there is no Asmedia USB controller on the Z97-A. The Asmedia drivers on it's download page must be a mistake. This is where all of the confusion started.

I believe the Z97-A controllers are Intel. Windows has installed Intel USB drivers that appear to be current, dated 27/4/2017

From this screenshot of USB Device Tree Viewer can someone tell me where my USB 3.0 ports are? I saw something that said H stands for high speed and S stands for superspeed. Would a 3.0 port only show as be connected if the device was USB 3.0 compatible?

This is the from the Asus Z97-A spec page for USB:

Intel® Z97 chipset :
    6 x USB 3.0/2.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 4 at mid-board)
    Intel® Z97 chipset :
    8 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (2 at back panel, , 6 at mid-board)

What does mid-board mean? I have 4 blue USB ports at the back of the board which should be USB 3.0. My Logitech G710+ and Corsair Sabre are plugged into these ports but according to USB DTViewer they obviously not USB 3.0

windows - Verifying USB connection speed (USB 3 or USB 2?) - Super User

Asmedia USB 3.0 drivers installation failure. [​IMG]

Kol12, May 19, 2017
  11. Saltgrass Win User
    I checked the drivers available for your system for Win 7 and 10. Since I believe ASUS owns ASMedia, it might be the basic drivers for Win 10 are in Win 10 but the 3.0 part is from ASMedia since that is the only USB drivers shown available for Win 10.

On my X99 system I show an ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller. My X99 board does show ASMedia in the Specs..

It should not hurt to try to load the drivers?

Saltgrass, May 19, 2017
  12. TairikuOkami, May 19, 2017
  13. Kol12 Win User

I just installed the latest Asmedia drivers version 1.16.45.1 that TairikuOkami linked to and the installation completed, no error like that of the Asmedia drivers from the Z97-A download page.

But I'm not 100% sure what they are for, perhaps it is for USB Boost. The drivers for USB in device manager don't look to have changed.

There is a ASM104xUSB3 folder in Program Files (x86) and an Asmedia USB Host controller Driver showing in add/remove programs. What do you think?

Kol12, May 20, 2017
  14. You would need to add USB Card to support it though, it is not integrated or bundled by default.

TairikuOkami, May 20, 2017
  15. Kol12 Win User
    So is that Asmedia USB driver really just a USB 3.1 driver rather than a main USB driver? I know some boards main controllers are Asmedia as well. I'm just not sure exactly what the Asmedia driver you linked to is, is a main controller driver for certain boards or an all purpose driver for USB 3.1?

Kol12, May 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Asmedia USB 3.0 drivers installation failure. - Similar Threads - Asmedia USB drivers

2. RE; USB ASMedia Root Hub Driver Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RE; USB ASMedia Root Hub Driver Not Working: I saw your answer to this problem and I have the same problem. My question is: if you remove all the usb devices, which presumably includes the mouse, how do I click on the items to reply?Thanks...
  3. RE; USB ASMedia Root Hub Driver Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RE; USB ASMedia Root Hub Driver Not Working: I saw your answer to this problem and I have the same problem. My question is: if you remove all the usb devices, which presumably includes the mouse, how do I click on the items to reply?Thanks...
  4. RE; USB ASMedia Root Hub Driver Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB ASMedia Root Hub Driver Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB ASMedia Root Hub Driver Not Working: The driver "USB\ASMEDIAROOT_HUB\5&2E621010&0&0" is not working. It is labelled under 'other devices' as an unknown device. It used to be called "AsMedia USB ROOT HUB" but since trying to uninstall and reinstall it has made the situation worse. Issuse: Every now and again...
  6. Installed newer Asmedia USB drivers, pc now refuses to post

Installed newer Asmedia USB drivers, pc now refuses to post: Ugh.. Uuuuugh. I have a macrium image but it was from yesterday morning and i did a TON of work yesterday. I'm talking like.. 12+ hours worth. I ran DUMO and noticed there was an updated usb 3.0 extensible host controller driver for my ancient board (crosshair v formula z)...
  7. Asmedia USB 3.0 Drivers

Asmedia USB 3.0 Drivers: Hi, I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M motherboard and been looking around for an update for Asmedia drivers. The problem is I read a post here about updating USB 3.0 asmedia driver via microsoft. I have a disc that came with the MB that has Asmedia 104x host controller...
  8. Latest ASMedia USB xHCI and Root Hub Drivers

Latest ASMedia USB xHCI and Root Hub Drivers: I have noticed, that MS installs its own driver over ASMedia's, which might cause issues. Even, if you have automatic driver installation disabled, some updates might change it. Since ASMedia does not provide direct downloads, only 3rd party links are provided. Last...
  9. Asmedia 1074 USB hub drivers

Asmedia 1074 USB hub drivers: My Asrock X99 OC Formula uses Asmedia 1074 USB hubs to add USB3 ports. (These aren't USB3 controllers; they're simply hubs.) I believe that these include the USB3 front panel ports. I think that I have a problem with those. My Seagate external USB3 backup drive, for...
  10. ASMedia USB Root Hub Driver issue

ASMedia USB Root Hub Driver issue: Hi, Please can someone help me with this Since the last windows 10 update i am having trouble in particular with one driver called: ASMedia USB Root Hub Driver This USB keeps installing itself and never stops. I keep hearing the windows beep that usually comes...