Windows 10: ASR.dat file residing in Users/Public folder

Discus and support ASR.dat file residing in Users/Public folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, everyone I have noticed that after the latest 15063.608 build a file named ASR.dat comes from time to time in my C:/Users/Public folder. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ivan Petrov, Sep 21, 2017.

1. ASR.dat file residing in Users/Public folder

Hi, everyone

I have noticed that after the latest 15063.608 build a file named ASR.dat comes from time to time in my C:/Users/Public folder. After deleting it, it appears again in 3-4 days. The VirusTotal online checker says it is not a virus or malware, it's been not detected by Avast and MS Defender as well.
    Would you be so nice to explain to me what creates this file and is there a way to make it disappear permanently.

Thank you all, have a wonderful day.

ASR.dat file residing in Users/Public folder [​IMG]

:)

Ivan Petrov, Sep 21, 2017

2. fresh install windows 10 1703, ASR.dat and VOIP.dat files under public user folder.

So as I said , found two files under users public folder named ASR.dat and VOIP.dat no much info about these files are on the internet.

In a few places found it could be some kind of virus.

If I delete then they appear gain after restart, used Avast to scan and Malwarebytes, nothing bad was found.

Reinstalled PC , fresh installation and surprise again I see these files. Scans doesn't see them as virus trojan or other shitware.

Have checked my other two pc's as no such files found on either of them.

What a heck are those two files ASR.dat and VOIP.dat

andrius.karpas, Sep 21, 2017
  3. fresh install windows 10 1703, ASR.dat and VOIP.dat files under public user folder.

Answer-by-number:

1. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

2. Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled or did you originally upgrade a Win7 computer or a Win8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Win10?

3. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Acer; Lenovo; ASUS)?

4. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the
    McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
    ?

6. What Version & OS Build of Windows 10 is currently installed?

• Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R
      key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.
    7. Did you format the HDD prior to doing each "fresh install" of Win10?

8. Is it the same computer (not the same problem) as in
    your 25 March 2017 thread
    ?

9. Did you get your
    Visio 2016 Evaluation activated?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Sep 21, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

ASR.dat file residing in Users/Public folder

Hi there. It's a data file created by audiodg.exe. Completely harmless. There's no way to stop it. It will just keep on making one. Do a File Explorer query of *.dat and you'll see thousands of them.

.dat file - Bing

Tony K, Sep 21, 2017
  5. Thank you very much, HippsieGypsie

Ivan Petrov, Sep 21, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome, Ivan. This is one of the files the system uses keeps track of things. Just as the desktop.ini, if you delete them the system creates another.

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

ASR.dat file residing in Users/Public folder

1. ASR.dat file residing in Users/Public folder - Similar Threads - ASR dat file

2. DAT file concerns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DAT file concerns: Just now, I deleted a lot of temp files. I was going really fast and I ended up deleting some DAT files. I read about these just now and I learnt that they contained critical about programs used to create specific files. I also read that DAT files can have Windows registry....
  3. Public users folder gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public users folder gone: My C:\Users\Public folder just vanished into thin air I didn't delete it or anything its just goneHow can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-users-folder-gone/358230a2-4692-4cc2-9b29-27b9248b0f3b
  4. Public users folder gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public users folder gone: My C:\Users\Public folder just vanished into thin air I didn't delete it or anything its just goneHow can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-users-folder-gone/358230a2-4692-4cc2-9b29-27b9248b0f3b
  5. Public users folder gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Question about user putting shortcut folder to users/public

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about user putting shortcut folder to users/public: If a user on a PC (with limited access, so not an admin) creates a shortcut to a folder to its own files and then puts that folder in a users/public folder, will everyone else have access to the files in this folder? submitted by /u/dddj24 [link] [comments]...
  7. Missing user folder ... PUBLIC only

Missing user folder ... PUBLIC only: Home network shows 2 folders for EMATIC computer. Owner and Public. However, only PUBLIC shows whenever accessed by other machines. Has worked properly in the past. Advanced sharing shows 'everything' turned on except Password. The PUBLIC folder behaves normally. Only...
  8. Delete a DAT file

Delete a DAT file: Hello, My program SuperAntiSpyware detected a malware file named "UsrClass.dat", because this is a Data file when I try to delete it an error message appears "this action can't be taken because the file is open in the system". How can I delete this file? Thanks,...
  9. "Public" folders content visibility for other users?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Public" folders content visibility for other users?: In Windows 7 every user inherited content of "Public" user folders such as Images/Music/Video. Now I don't see "Public" content in my user folders anymore. What could be done to unlock this functionality? 25868
  10. Changing default folder locations for Public users

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default folder locations for Public users: I've upgraded two machines going from a single 1T hard drive to a SSD and a 1T hard drive for data. I was able to change the default user file locations for docs, pics, music, video, and download. When I went to do the same for the public user, I was not allowed to change the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. asr.dat file

2. ASR.dat

3. asr dat file

4. voip.dat file under public,
  5. voip.dat public,
  6. public voip.dat,
  7. VOIP.dat,
  8. ASR.dat what is it for?,
  9. voip file in public folders windows 10,
  10. what is a voip dat file,
  11. what is asr.dat,
  12. C:\Users\Public\asr.dat (File),
  13. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?,
  14. ASR Tramscro[t folder,
  15. how to fix C:\Users\Public\Libraries\Checks.vbs