Windows 10: Assistance with external hard drive please.

Discus and support Assistance with external hard drive please. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I've just fitted the hard drive from my old laptop into an external enclosure. Hooking it it up via USB to my new win10 machine I cannot access any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Paulieb, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Paulieb Win User

Assistance with external hard drive please.

Hi. I've just fitted the hard drive from my old laptop into an external enclosure. Hooking it it up via USB to my new win10 machine I cannot access any of my files. the old HD is registering okay as drive G but it's showing as empty - I think it's 'access denied' to the files. I've a lot of photos, videos etc which I would like to transfer to my new laptop. I know they're still there as the old HD is showing two thirds full.
    Does anyone have any solutions to this problem? Thanks in advance.

:)

Paulieb, Feb 19, 2018

2. Windows 10 causing external hard drive to fail

Hi Jordan,

For us to assist you better, please answer the following:

• What's the make and model of your computer?
    • What's the type of USB connector your external hard drive has?
    • Have you tried connecting your external hard drive to a different USB port?

Regile Reb, Feb 19, 2018
  3. Samsung M3 portable hard drive not getting recognised on Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for your response with the current update on the issue.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you able to see External hard drive in the Device Manager?
    • Have you tried to enable Windows Installer services?
    • Are you able to use other external hard drive into the computer?

I suggest you to create a new user Account and check if you are able to use the external hard drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Please get back to us with an update on issue in connecting
    External hard drive to Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 19, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Feb 20, 2018
  5. Paulieb Win User
    thank you. I'll give it a try.

Paulieb, Feb 20, 2018
  6. Paulieb Win User
    I've had a quick read of the tutorial but there are no files showing for me to 'take ownership' of? I know they are still there because I did a 'command prompt' search of the disk. I'm flummoxed!?

Paulieb, Feb 20, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    Assuming your drive is D then do this:

1. Open elevated command prompt
    See Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

2. Take ownership:
    Type this (changing the D if your USB has another letter) into command prompt and press enter.

It will take ownership of everything for you current user with the exception of "D:\System Volume Information" which you shouldn't change (that is what the /d:N is for). Anyway just type it in as it is:

takeown /f "D:" /r /d:N

You will see something like this: Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>takeown /f "D:\" /r /d:N SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "D:\" now owned by user "YOURPC\You". SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "D:\$RECYCLE.BIN" now owned by user "YOURPC\You" SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "D:\File 1 now owned by user "YOURPC\You" etc etc C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote]
    3. Give yourself authority.
    Again just copy this exactly - only replacing the D if required. The command prompt will replace the %blabla% with your details automatically.

icacls "D:" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"Assistance with external hard drive please. :(F) /t

You will see at the end something like this: Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>icacls "D:" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"Assistance with external hard drive please. :(F) /t processed file: D: processed file: D:\$RECYCLE.BIN processed file: D:\file 1 processed file: D:\file 2 processed file: D:\file 3 D:\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid: Access is denied. Successfully processed 32 files; Failed processing 1 files C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote]
    That last "Access is Denied" message is OK (it is another system file) - it will now work and you'll have access.

8. jumanji Win User

jumanji, Feb 20, 2018
  9. Paulieb Win User
    Thanks everyone. I solved the issue. I can't remember the specifics because I was concentrating too much to write anything down but Iof the few file I could see there was one called 'users'. I clicked on this then went to the name my laptop was registered under (ie 'joebloggs) I clicked on this and a window appeared asking if I wanted to Have access to the 'joebloggs' files (I can't remember the exact wording, but it wasn't 'take ownership'. I clicked on the window and, hey presto, I was in!

Paulieb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Assistance with external hard drive please. - Similar Threads - Assistance external hard

2. External hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive.: Sirs, Occasionally, my external hard drive does not reveal itself on 'This PC', despite the light indicating power is on. The light, however is static when the problem occurs and doesn't flash rapidly as it does when all is well. Thanks in anticipation....
  3. External hard drive migrated???? Or Not help please!!!!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive migrated???? Or Not help please!!!!!: Dear Community please help, New to windows 10 and I have a major issue occurred and I'm not sure how or why it happened. My Seagate external Hard drive Migrated and Drive was reconfigured while no one was using it. Why and How did this happen? needless to say the drive was...
  4. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external hard drive: What external hard drive do you recommend for back-up on Dell Inspiron 3671. I do not want to save to the cloud. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/c23fb5c0-2b97-457d-81ca-3a824c7e6f1a
  5. External hard drive

External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  6. external hard drive

external hard drive: Why is windows not recognizing my external hard drive, its fn 2019 this s should be plug and play your os is garbage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/8a51c6c8-175f-4d84-b6e7-84ab2697752f
  7. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  8. External hard drive

External hard drive: How can I open the contents of my exteral G-drive USB on my windows 10 HP laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/6d746bbd-2b6d-42d5-9112-955e1ed8bcb5
  9. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive: I don't know how to retrieve files from my external hard drive. On file explore there used to be a link to click. it's not there anymore. I have a Seagate https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/1136c02a-ab6f-48c4-8db1-71c2791ecc45"
  10. external hard drives

external hard drives: I have two external hard drives I used on two different computers. On both computers I backed up all information onto the external hard drives before installing windows 10 on both computers. I was running windows 7 on both computers before the installation. On both computers...