Windows 10: Asus USB 3.0 Boot

Discus and support Asus USB 3.0 Boot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm working with another member and trying to find the correct method to boot the laptop from a 3.0 thumb. The laptop is an Asus ASUS ZenBook UX31E |... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by f14tomcat, Jun 29, 2016.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Asus USB 3.0 Boot

I'm working with another member and trying to find the correct method to boot the laptop from a 3.0 thumb. The laptop is an Asus ASUS ZenBook UX31E | Notebooks | ASUS USA

I'm trying to avoid altering the boot order in the BIOS, just want to do a "One Time" boot from thumb. I've downloaded the manual for the laptop, but can't find the method. I was hoping for something common, like holding down the Volume button while power on, or something like that.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, TC

:)

f14tomcat, Jun 29, 2016
  2. HenkPoley Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade Dropped My USB3 Capability

I "resolved" this on my Asus F1A75-M motherboard by booting Windows 10 without any USB devices connected.

Came to that conclusion by looking at the manual:

• DO NOT connect a keyboard / mouse to any USB 3.0 port when installing Windows®
      operating system.

• Due to USB 3.0 controller limitation, USB 3.0 devices can only be used under Windows®
      OS environment and after the USB 3.0 driver installation.

• USB 3.0 devices can only be used as data storage only.

• We strongly recommend that you connect USB 3.0 devices to USB 3.0 ports for faster and better performance for your USB 3.0 devices.

Luckily I had a PS/2 keyboard around, so I could navigate Windows and check that it now sees a "AMD USB 3.0 extensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft)" identified by VEN_1022&DEV_7812. Since this is a pre-final USB 3.0 standard device, it appears only
    some USB 3.0 Mass Storage devices work in these ports. E.g. the Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 now does not work at all in the blue ports (it does this detect-bleep a lot in trying to get it it work though).

The USB3.0-ness stays around between cold boots. So that's kinda nice. Edit: Also stays around in Linux kernel 3.13, Ultra Fit neither works with this OS; there the log says: "Cannot enable port 1. Maybe the USB cable is bad?" I don't use a cable, plugs
    in directly.

HenkPoley, Jun 29, 2016
  3. Windows 10 home usb Full version

I got the USB to work. my motherboard has two 3.0 usb ports and six 2.0 usb ports. my motherboard did not recognize your 3.0 usb memory stick in the 3.0 port

to install windows 10 home, I had to stick your 3.0 usb into the 2.0 ports and it located it just fine as a boot drive. my computer never did boot from the 3.0 slots.

I am using windows 10 home and it rocks.

Dscott8732, Jun 29, 2016
  4. aramil Win User

Asus USB 3.0 Boot

ASUS boot menu is "usually" hold/mash/tap "F8" on boot

aramil, Jun 29, 2016
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    The old rapid-tap-tap-tap! And gives you the boot options menu? Choose device?

f14tomcat, Jun 29, 2016
  6. aramil Win User
    yeah, hdd/usb/cd-rom etc (also efi/legacy)

aramil, Jun 29, 2016
  7. COMPUTIAC Guest, Jun 29, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

Asus USB 3.0 Boot

One thing to consider is the BIOS has support for USB 2.0 but frequently one needs the OS installed to get drivers for USB 3.0. If that's the case would have to use the USB 2.0 port. Some USB devices aren't forward compatible with USB 3.0, I have a few Thumb drives that won't work on USB 3.0.

Berton, Jun 29, 2016
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Aramil, Thanks. That looks like a quick one-time without altering boot order. Bob, yours is ideal going forward, but you know the history a bit, and I'll need to be very careful.

Thanks to both!! TC

f14tomcat, Jun 29, 2016
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    Thanks Berton, but the thumb, Macrium Rescue, was already created on the laptop in question, USB 3.0, so I have to assume it supports USB 3.0. Both ports are "blue".

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Asus USB 3.0 Boot

1. Asus USB 3.0 Boot - Similar Threads - Asus USB Boot

2. USB 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3: Somebody fixed my USB 3 ports With the May 2023 Driver. They haven’ worked correctly for more than a year and several driver updates. Thanks a lot! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3/68c903ad-082d-4aef-8c7d-a40abdfca86c
  3. USB 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB 3: Somebody fixed my USB 3 ports With the May 2023 Driver. They haven’ worked correctly for more than a year and several driver updates. Thanks a lot! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3/68c903ad-082d-4aef-8c7d-a40abdfca86c
  4. USB 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. 0% battery Asus S4100V

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    0% battery Asus S4100V: Here's the youtube video I uploaded, hope it helped a bit, in which a I tried one solution in this community that didn't work and shut my laptop down.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcbiAHHIsu4When I reenable the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery", my laptop...
  6. 0% battery Asus S4100V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0% battery Asus S4100V: Here's the youtube video I uploaded, hope it helped a bit, in which a I tried one solution in this community that didn't work and shut my laptop down.When I reenable the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery", my laptop just immediately shut down as shown in the...
  7. 0% battery Asus S4100V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0% battery Asus S4100V: Here's the youtube video I uploaded, hope it helped a bit, in which a I tried one solution in this community that didn't work and shut my laptop down.When I reenable the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery", my laptop just immediately shut down as shown in the...
  8. Asus TP300L - Not resetting/restoring or Booting from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Asus TP300L - Not resetting/restoring or Booting from USB: Dear team, Have tried to follow all steps incl creating a USB installation media device which again gives and error am attaching a snap of screen which came after usb boot . Its going in loops. Am not going anywhere with this. Appreciate assistance. Rgds[IMG]...
  9. USB 3 hub interferes with boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3 hub interferes with boot: With powered USB 3 hub plugged into power, Win 10 does not boot at all. Unplug power to USB hub (usb connections still there), boot is normal. Plug in power to USB hub after boot starts is fine. What is this? Thanks. Peter 134831
  10. USB 3 hub interferes with boot

in Windows 10 Support
    USB 3 hub interferes with boot: With powered USB 3 hub plugged into power, Win 10 does not boot at all. Unplug power to USB hub (usb connections still there), boot is normal. Plug in power to USB hub after boot starts is fine. What is this? Thanks. Peter 134831