Windows 10: ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

Discus and support ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I recently received an update to my ASUS Vivobook laptop which was running windows 10, quite flawlessly I might add. After the update, my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by purple potato, Apr 24, 2016.

1. ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

Hello,

I recently received an update to my ASUS Vivobook laptop which was running windows 10, quite flawlessly I might add. After the update, my touch pad stopped accepting multi-touch and my USB ports stopped recognizing any devices including my mouse. It would not even give a "device not recognized" notification. It just is not detecting the devices.

I first tried to fix my touch-pad by unistalling the SmartGesture driver and reinstalling. Nothing changed. The touchpad only accepts one finger operations so it does not allow for two finger scrolling etc. I read a post that said you don't need SmartGesture because Win10 comes with its own drivers to allow the touch-pad to do those multi-touch things but its still not working.

I tried to fix the USB ports by first changing the power management to not turn off the ports in power saving mode. Didn't work. Then I tried reinstalling the drivers using the Device Manager. Didn't work. Then I tried to uninstall all the USB drivers within Device Manager and restart my laptop and let it reinstall itself. Didn't work. The ports are not faulty because they were all working before the update and I know that my mouse is working and that all the cords and flash drives I plug in are working because I tested them on another PC.

I need help. *cry *Confused *Mad

:)

purple potato, Apr 24, 2016

2. Laptop only goes to sleep after a button pressed for the second time

ASUS K53SD with enabled "Instant On" function. This function
    is to ensure that the usb ports
    and touchpad are disabled after the laptop
    went to sleep. In Windows 8.1, 8 and 7
    laptop goes to sleep after a one press
    keyboard shortcut fn + f1. In windows
    10, I have to press twice.
    The same situation happens when I click
    the menu item "sleep". In Ubuntu
    everything works without problems

Emil Alasgarov, Apr 24, 2016
  3. Touchpad not working on Windows 10.

How can I download a new touchpad driver without a touchpad ? My Asus lapdop's touchpad isn't working after Windows 10 update

KevinButlin, Apr 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

Hi, in one sense you're fortunate to at least have had a good Win 10 experience ...until...

Obvious question - what happens if you uninstall the Windows update?

And do you have any system restore points that might be useful?
    Or a Win 10 System Image?
    Or disk images?

dalchina, Apr 24, 2016
  5. ARC
    Arc Win User
    A System Restore to a point earlier than that update might work.

If your VivoBook model officially supports Windows 10, then get the touchapd driver and ATK from ASUS.

6. Thanks for the advice.

I tried the system restore but during the restore, it said "your pc has ran into a problem and needs to restart" and something about "inaccessible boot device". Then it tries to restart but it goes to a blue screen saying "your pc did not start correctly" and gives 2 choices: restart and advanced options.
    I tried restart but it just comes back to this point.

What do I do now ? *Sad

purple potato, Apr 25, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 25, 2016
  8. ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

Ok thanks I will try that now.
    Questions:
    do I lose all my personal files in this process?
    What would happen if I tried to reset the PC from the Advanced Options that came up?

9. wyldman68 Win User
    I would suggest updating the USB 3.0 drivers, probably Intel. I just fixed 3 Laptops at work that had bad USB 3 drivers and the USB ports would not work.

wyldman68, Apr 25, 2016
  10. Also, I do not have a Windows 10 product key because my laptop came with Windows 8 pre-installed and I simply upgraded to Windows 10. Would that be a problem?

11. dalchina New Member
    Once activated on a PC you can install Win 10 as many times as you like, and even change our disk. The product key isn't an issue at all in this scenario. The only time you'd have a Win 10 product key would be if you bought a retail license for Win 10.

Startup repair will not affect your personal files.
    The risk to your files is that some disk corruption has occurred.

Reset is a very different operation and relies on the PC being bootable. Yours now isn't.
    Read just the start of this and you'll see reset is destructive in a real sense.
    Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Apr 25, 2016
  12. ARC
    Arc Win User
    No, that is not a problem. When Windows 10 upgradation is done from a previous qualified version, the hardware gets a digital entitlement and will remain activated till its lifetime.

It would have been a very important information from your part that which VivoBook you do have. ASUS VivoBook

13. ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

Its ASUS Vivobook s550
    ASUS VivoBook S550CA | Notebooks | ASUS Global

14. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Well, so there is no problem to run windows 10 on this device.
    Lately I have noticed a number of INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE (stop 0x7B) issues after some windows update. It means the disk containing the boot record is not accessible by the system; and so it is failing to boot. The basic troubleshooting steps are laid down here: Troubleshooting stop 0x7B and stop 0xED. - Windows 7 Help Forums

But as the error came as a result of a windows update, it needs to determine which update is causing the issue. It is difficult to do from an unbootable computer.

Boot into the BIOS. Change the storage controller mode back and forth. Either one may work. If neither works, then set it back to where it was, and set the BIOS to optimized defaults.

If it boots with Optimized Defaults, good. If not, you may either follow the steps of the above mentioned troubleshooting or simply proceed with a clean reinstall. My personal opinion is that you should go for a clean reinstall.

Windows 10 will assume the USB3 driver automatically. Get the SmartGesture driver from the vendor and install it.

15. How do I go about booting into the BIOS and changing the storage controller mode? Forgive me...I am a noob.

purple potato, Apr 26, 2016
Thema:

ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

1. ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - ASUS USB Ports

2. Touchpad and USB ports not working after new update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad and USB ports not working after new update: I recently updated an Asus notebook of mine and after it "finished", my touchpad and USB ports stopped working. Every time I boot up the notebook an error keeps popping up and I can't use the touchpad. The error status is 0xc000046e. wruninstall.exe - Bad Image How can I...
  3. USB ports not working after Windows 10 20h2 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB ports not working after Windows 10 20h2 update: Someone please help! I updated to Windows 10 20h2 and now none of my USB ports are working. If I had known this I never would have downloaded the version. I can’t use my keyboard or mouse because they are Logitech wireless and the receiver is connected to USB port as well....
  4. USB ports not working after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB ports not working after update: 2 of my USB ports stopped working with a recent windows update. I noticed they weren’t working when I had a warning screen pop up with every restart stating “USB device not recognized. the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not...
  5. Windows 10 1903 USB ports not working after update.

Windows 10 1903 USB ports not working after update.: I was forced to install the latest update and instantly had issues. The USB ports wouldn't recognize anything. When I plug in external hard drive they power up fine. I can use it but its showing that it has a driver error in device manager, if I plug in a thumb drive, or...
  6. ASUS touchpad not working after Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ASUS touchpad not working after Windows 10 updates: The touchpad not working (scrolling) after a Windows 10 update is not new. The solution has always been to uninstall the SmartGesture touchpad program and the ATK drivers and reinstall them. That always fixes it. However, the 1809 upgrade attempts have deleted parts of the...
  7. USB ports not working after Windows update

USB ports not working after Windows update: I had a update last night for windows 10 on my desktop, made me do it as I could not turn off my computer without it starting, I get up in the morning and get on, the usb ports work for 5 minutes at most before they stop working, all of them worked fine until this update, I...
  8. USB ports not working after updates

USB ports not working after updates: Hi there I have an Asus all in one Pc with windows. Since a set of updates, neither of my 2 USB ports seem to be functioning. Any devices phone. tablet, camera etc. when plugged in do not register and I cannnot transfer files or images from one to the other....
  9. USB ports not working after Windows 10 update

USB ports not working after Windows 10 update: I had this issue after the September 11, 2018 update. Device manager showed only my 3.0 ports installed but they were not working and no yellow exclamation marks. I right clicked on the USB controllers item and had to enable it. No Change Then I right clicked on the intel...
  10. Windows 10 1803 USB ports not working after update.

Windows 10 1803 USB ports not working after update.: I was forced to install the latest update and instantly had issues. First the wifi wouldn't connect anymore and the USB ports wouldnt recognize anything. After a couple of days playing around I took it to a shop. They were able to fix the wifi issue but the USB ports remain...