Windows 10: At Last! Acer Travelmate 2420 running with 1607

Discus and support At Last! Acer Travelmate 2420 running with 1607 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This old laptop's been a pain with Windows 10. It runs fine with 7 Pro, 8.1 (as Enterprise trial), but upgrades are almost impossible, and until today,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fafhrd, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Fafhrd Win User

At Last! Acer Travelmate 2420 running with 1607

This old laptop's been a pain with Windows 10. It runs fine with 7 Pro, 8.1 (as Enterprise trial), but upgrades are almost impossible, and until today, I could not clean install either.

The reason is the built-in wireless adapter and the Windows 10 driver for it or at least a problem in the way Windows 10 manages PNP IRQ sharing.

With the adapter enabled, there is an IRQ conflict, which stops as soon as the adapter is disabled, and the system interrupts drop down, freeing the cpu from 100% use and enabling everything to run at reasonable speed.

At Last! Acer Travelmate 2420 running with 1607 [​IMG]

At Last! Acer Travelmate 2420 running with 1607 [​IMG]

The problem is that Windows Setup causes the same Systems interrupt blockage, because there is no way to stop setup from enabling the device - being a laptop, I'd have to open it up and remove the adapter card.

The first time I installed Windows 10 in this laptop (about last Christmas) with any success was an upgrade from a Windows 7 Ultimate installation. It took ages, and I had already had many failures before since July 2015. I had to be very patient, and the installation was still damaged - I could not get the resolution setting of 1440x900 for the monitor I use to stick between restarts, but at least it activated.

Having used Macrium Reflect to image the installation I tried to reset, clean install, upgrade to newer builds etcetera, all failed, and I had to restore the Macrium Backup.

Until today.

With Windows 7 and 8, I used to use Imagex to apply the install.wim image to the partition I had prepared and formatted, instead of using setup. This did not seem to work with Insider ESD downloads, so I forgot about it - but today I used an Iso downloaded from the Microsoft Iso site, with an install.wim, extracted it and booted up WinPESE 8.1, downloaded the Waik tools, and applied with Imagex to the partition I had formatted which had had the last Windows 10 installation on. I left the system partition alone, and after imagex had finished successfully, I rebooted, to finalise the installation.

As I half expected, it installed the devices fast enough, but then went slow during the "getting ready" phase, as it had enabled the wireless adapter, slowing it all up.

When It had been going awhile, an hour, perhaps, I hit shift+F10, to bring up the command console, and then called up devmgmt.msc, and once that had returned to the command prompt, called up taskmgr.

After a few minutes, taskmgr appeared, and switching to the details tab could see that System interrupts were running at 86-90% of the CPU use.

Eventually the MMC with Device Manager appeared, and eventually I could see the devices - and when I managed to disable the Atheros adapter, and confirmed the disable request, the setup resumed with reasonable speed, and I could complete the installation.

Now It seems as if the screen resolution remains as I want, and the old laptop goes as fast as it ever did with XP, 7 or 8.1.

I shall be sending a report to Feedback with these details, because there's some problem with Windows 10 and PNP management that does not exist in XP, Windows 7 or 8.x, and of course, there is no WER available when setup fails.

:)

Fafhrd, Aug 3, 2016
  2. CucNguyen Win User

Cannot setup fingerprint Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Hi, i'm currently using an Acer Travelmate P643MG, it have built in Egistec ES603 fingerprint reader, the driver had been installed and working fine under Device Manager, but I cannot setup fingerprint log in, it say "Windows Hello isn't available on this
    device" in sign in option.

Windows edition: Windows 10 Home Single Language ver. 1607

Laptop brand: Acer

Model: Travelmate P643-MG

CucNguyen, Aug 3, 2016
  3. Problems with Camera app

My laptop's an ACER Travelmate.

AaronSaltzer, Aug 3, 2016
Thema:

At Last! Acer Travelmate 2420 running with 1607

1. At Last! Acer Travelmate 2420 running with 1607 - Similar Threads - Last Acer Travelmate

2. Acer TravelMate TM7750G laptop has started bleeping intermittently for no obvious reason -...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Acer TravelMate TM7750G laptop has started bleeping intermittently for no obvious reason -...: This problem was unresolved so asking again. Here is the previous thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/acer-travelmate-tm7750g-laptop-has-started/11fc0b4d-b062-4a5d-ada2-e5eac3e4903bPrevious threadLaptop: Acer TravelMate TM7750G also known as...
  3. Cursor on Windows 10 freezes and sometimes disappears.It's on Acer Travelmate laptop with a...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cursor on Windows 10 freezes and sometimes disappears.It's on Acer Travelmate laptop with a...: Hey guys, heeelpp I am DESPERATE.:( I bought a used Acer Travelmate laptop with a touchscreen which runs on Windows 10.However, the Windows 10 was not the orginal Windows that laptop ran on, the guy I bought it from installed it after he got it.The laptop is fast and...
  4. Webcam driver for Windows 10 for ACER TravelMate P245-M

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Webcam driver for Windows 10 for ACER TravelMate P245-M: Please help me in finding the driver for webcam for Windows 10 for ACER TravelMate P245-M. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/webcam-driver-for-windows-10-for-acer-travelmate/1829e66c-6653-4677-989f-1aae82ca0597
  5. Memory Management Error Windows 10 on Acer TravelMate 4200

Memory Management Error Windows 10 on Acer TravelMate 4200: I'm posting this to help someone else with the same problem... On my Acer TravelMate 4200 I receive a Memory Management Error message on shutdown. This article solved the issue by suggesting disabling the "HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP" under Device Manager...
  6. Will Acer Travelmate accept an SSD in the HDD slot?

Will Acer Travelmate accept an SSD in the HDD slot?: System will not boot after cloning HDD to SSD Will Acer Travelmate accept an SSD in the HDD slot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-acer-travelmate-accept-an-ssd-in-the-hdd-slot/ce1a03b0-cd7d-432b-97b8-50cd1d671869
  7. ACER Travelmate TMP-645-M

ACER Travelmate TMP-645-M: I have an acer travelmate laptop. TMP-645-M. I have Windows 10 loaded. All works fine. I hadn't noticed an issue with the display. However, I have come today to connect an external monitor to the laptop. The monitor does not receive a signal from the laptop. On review I...
  8. No Sleep Option and Brightness Option in the New Acer TravelMate

No Sleep Option and Brightness Option in the New Acer TravelMate: Hey Guys, I just purchased a new "Acer TravelMate P2510" and I have a problem with my Power settings. I want to make my computer goes sleep when I close the lid or click the power button. But in the "Change What The Power Button Does," or "close the lid" settings, there is...
  9. Reset Acer Travelmate to factory settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset Acer Travelmate to factory settings: Hi all, I have an Acer Travelmate with Win10 (1607), I would like to save Win 10 to a stick, then reset the laptop back to factory settings and then reinstall Win10. There is no program on the laptop that requires saving. Any advice or suggestions, not to technical, would be...
  10. Acer laptop still on 1607

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Acer laptop still on 1607: I have an Acer laptop still on build 1607.Looking at the update history,the update KB4041691 failed to install 6 times but was succesful on the 7th.It has failed twice more since then and in the update section is still showing still available install now.Is this somehow...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to install Windows 10 on Acer 2420 m USB