Windows 10: Atheros 956x dual band?

Discus and support Atheros 956x dual band? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HI gang, sorry if this is in the wrong area. I upgraded to 200 mb/s internet, and they sent me a dual band gateway. First experience with one, and need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FLeXington, May 3, 2017.

1. Atheros 956x dual band?

HI gang, sorry if this is in the wrong area. I upgraded to 200 mb/s internet, and they sent me a dual band gateway. First experience with one, and need to know if there is a driver, or module I need for my atheros 956x wlan to be able to work on it? Currently I cant see the 5.0 networks, on my laptop. It is an Asus x533ma (board and r515ma model, but havent really found much info on the pc. Perhaps an unofficial driver that would work? Currently it says 72.2 mb/s but there has to be a way to get 150 me thinks. Not sure if I need to install some other features in Win10, (creators Update version ) The 72 ms/s has been since before the upgraded modem, but since I have much more bandwidth, Id like to use it on my pc, not just my Xbox (Ethernet connection hit 225 mb/s) Two seperate questions I guess, but maybe remedied by one thing? Possibly just not dual band compatible, but seems like 150 would work in 2.4

thanks

:)

FLeXington, May 3, 2017

2. Windows 10 Build 1511 WiFi Network Problems

I have a TOSHIBA laptop with a Qualcomm Atheros 956x network adaptor. Since the recent upgrade, I keep loosing my Wifi connection. I have tried using the troubleshooter, and it has fixed it, but only for a short time.

I have uninstalled the drivers, and then restarted thr laptop, but the problem seems to persist. This is the first real problem I have had with Windows 10, so your advice and help really would be appreciated.

BrianWinter, May 3, 2017
  3. SGeno Win User
    Wireless Link Speed Atheros AR956X WLAN

Hi Kalpana,

I have dual band AC Router, Linksys EA6350. I don't believe the router has any issues. I have done everything in the last two weeks to try and figure this out. It is either A) a limitation with Windows 10 and this Atheros card, or B) the Atheros card can't
    handle it. However, I thought when our laptops were running 7 the wifi was faster than 72.2mbps. Then again I could be completely mistaken. I'm going back to Lenovo I guess.

I posted here to hopefully find out if it was a Windows 10 compatibility issue with the wifi card.

SGeno, May 3, 2017
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Atheros 956x dual band?

The function is controlled by your hardware. The laptop must have a dual band wireless network adapter to get the 5GHz band. You can check your laptops specs to see.

If it does have dual band capability then you will see the 5GHz connection in your Network list. You can then just connect to it instead of the 2.4GHz one.
    On the router you need to be sure to give the 5GHz band a unique SSID, different from the 2.4 by at least one letter.

To get higher speeds the network adapter needs to be Wireless n or ac. If it is wireless g you are stuck in the slow lane.

5. Yea it is n, and added 5.0 to the ssid (my_ssd, my_ssid_5.0) and changed the 5.0 to 802.11n on the routers 5.0 band, but no luck. so thinking I am in the 72 mbps lane only..

FLeXington, May 3, 2017
  6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    The thing to understand when it comes to router speeds is that they advertise the "theoretical limit" of the device.
    This is the maximum speed the technology could achieve under perfect conditions.

Unfortunately, routers and adapters do not operate in perfect conditions. There are physical barriers (walls, ceilings, and various building materials), EM interference from other electronic devices, and competition for the broadcast band with other routers in your area. Rarely can you get anywhere close to the theoretical speeds. So 72 mbps is actually not bad in many cases.

This is why for critical performance (like streaming high definition video) many enthusiasts still prefer Ethernet over wireless. Hard wire is consistently fast.

You might try changing the channel the router broadcasts on. See if that changes anything. But don't expect anything near 150 mbps for wireless n in the real world.

7. Appreciate it, thank you all.

FLeXington, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Atheros 956x dual band?

1. Atheros 956x dual band? - Similar Threads - Atheros 956x dual

2. Where is windows dual band wifi ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is windows dual band wifi ?: Oh i forgot windows doesn't support such featuresWhy devices and manufacturers support dual band if windows doesnt? EVEN MY ANDROID CAN DO IT ahah but its useless there since i need dual band wifi for VR gaming .Glad my phone has over 1500Mbit /s and windows works like...
  3. Where is windows dual band wifi ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is windows dual band wifi ?: Oh i forgot windows doesn't support such featuresWhy devices and manufacturers support dual band if windows doesnt? EVEN MY ANDROID CAN DO IT ahah but its useless there since i need dual band wifi for VR gaming .Glad my phone has over 1500Mbit /s and windows works like...
  4. Intel R Dual Band Wireles- AC8265

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel R Dual Band Wireles- AC8265: Hi,A person fiddled around with our pc and I've not been able to get my wireless working since. Under Network & Internet, no option for wifi comes up. I can't plug a phone/ipad in via a usb port and use the internet either. I have conducted all windows updates, updated all...
  5. dual band wifi adpter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dual band wifi adpter: The 5G my dual band wireless adaptor shows up goes off and on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-band-wifi-adpter/75495517-b0e8-4fe6-be9e-e8a89b25bc0b
  6. Dual Band Mobile Hotspot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual Band Mobile Hotspot: Hi everyone, I was just wondering if it was possible to share an ethernet connection through both the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. My wireless adapter has support for dual-band and has two antennas. The reason for this is because I live in an area with a lot, and I mean A LOT of...
  7. How to create a Dual Band Wifi Hotspot?

How to create a Dual Band Wifi Hotspot?: Hi, I'm trying to share my ethernet connection and create a Dual Band hotspot. When I turn the hotspot on, with the Network band set to "Any", I get the error message: You're sharing your connection over the 5 GHz network band. The network might not appear on devices that...
  8. Mobile Hotspot with dual band possible?

Mobile Hotspot with dual band possible?: Hello everyone, I use my computer as my router, since my house router doesn't cover all my house and my signal is better coming straight from my ethernet cable routing from my computer. I got a new wireless device for my pc just for that, and the device does support dual...
  9. qualcomm atheros qca9377 prefered band option not showing

qualcomm atheros qca9377 prefered band option not showing: I have Asus laptop with qualcomm atheros qca9377 wlan card. I want my laptop to be able to connect to 5GHz network. I researched how to do that, almost all the guides say that I need to change the prefered band option in the advance menu in the driver properties. But my...
  10. Dual band router, one band not recognized? by laptop??

Dual band router, one band not recognized? by laptop??: I have a dual band (2.4 and 5 Mhz) comcast modem/router. My desktop computer, iPad an iPhone and two firesticks, all recognize the two bands and are on the 5 mHz band at all locations in the house. However, my laptop, an HP Pavillion entertainment, only recognizes the 2.4...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. atheros ar956x bandwidth capability

2. atheros 956x dual band