Windows 10: Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Adapter - No 5 GHz Reception

Discus and support Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Adapter - No 5 GHz Reception in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is my first post. I have an ASUS notebook running Windows 10 64 bit OS. I have a Linksys router transmitting on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. I can receive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tomrhyne, Nov 25, 2016.

1. tomrhyne Win User

Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Adapter - No 5 GHz Reception

This is my first post. I have an ASUS notebook running Windows 10 64 bit OS. I have a Linksys router transmitting on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. I can receive the 5 GHz signal on my iPhone but not on my notebook. Installed latest driver and when I go to the adapters' properties it only shows 802.1b Preamble with no way to select a or g. It is my understanding that b only receives 2.4 GHz. Looking for suggestions on how to receive 5 GHz or whether it is possible with this adapter. Thanks.

:)

tomrhyne, Nov 25, 2016

2. IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE while screen mirroring

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter

Driver Date: 12.03.2015

Driver Version: 3.0.2.182

Jacek Śmigiel, Nov 25, 2016
  3. smaska Win User
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116900) caused my WiFi to become unstable

Thanks, Guys! It seems that the update KB3124200 solved the wi-fi problem for my case (ASUS netbook, Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter).

Regards,

Sergio

smaska, Nov 25, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Your card supports up to wireless n, but only on a 2.4 GHz band. You won't be able to connect to a 5 GHz band unless you change wireless adapters.

Samuria, Nov 25, 2016
  5. tomrhyne Win User
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Any recommendations on a replacement adapter I could use?

tomrhyne, Nov 25, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Anything that fits your budget that is Dual Band. The Rosewill adapters at newegg.com are still by far the best and lest costly replacement. Same product as the name brand, just does not have the name brand adapter label on it.

bro67, Nov 25, 2016
  8. tomrhyne Win User

Thanks for all the input. I've read that the BIOS on some laptops have a whitelist that restricts what adapters can be used. Do you know whether that is the case with the ASUS N56VJ?

tomrhyne, Nov 25, 2016
  9. Adalwar Win User
    Some considerations :
    - There are USB Adapters Dual Band AC 1300 around, for the same price.
    - An USB Adapter, you can use it later, on any PC/Laptop
    - Is it easy to get access to your WLAN Card? Some Laptops, you need to have a lot of skills and effort to disassemble Laptop. Is it worth?

EDIT: In order to get AC1300 on USB Stick, you must attach Adapater to an USB 3.0 Port otherwise it will striped down to Max. 400Mbps.

Adalwar, Nov 25, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    That is actually false. I thought so to, until I found out that it was nothing more than a runor at this point. The Netbooks and ChromeBooks that are limited for onboard.

Pretty soon, manufacturers are going to start following Apples way on making laptops sealed and a board about the size of a iPhone or just a bit larger. It is the only way that they can cram more battery life out od what will become a throw away device like cellphones and tablets.

I put the Intel Dual Band Wireless-ac 7260 in my wife's Toshiba Satellite with no issues. I did locate the second antenna in the battery area, since I did not want to tear apart the beazel. If you want the best option. Go with an adapter that allows you to turn the antenna and also use a USB A to A jumper when you have to get the best signal. smallnetbuilder.com has a lot of good info on adapters.

My son has this one for backup for his Macbook. NETGEAR WiFi USB 2.0 Adapter - AC Dual Band (A6200) Amazon.com: NETGEAR WiFi USB 2.0 Adapter - AC Dual Band (A6200): Computers Accessories

You can get it cheaper than $22 on Newegg. Didable the onboard when you do not need it. Easy Peasy.

I use a Engenius EAP1750H access point in our house. I used to run a ECB350, which you could pick it up at around 200 feet away and still get about 10 meg for download, since it drops to Wireless-b automatically to keep you connected.

bro67, Nov 25, 2016
  11. tomrhyne Win User
    Thanks Adalwar and bro67. I appreciate your input.

tomrhyne, Nov 26, 2016
  12. Adalwar Win User
    USB 2.0 has max 480Mbps, so it will be not possible to achieve the 867 Mbps when adapter is connected to a USB 2.0 port.
    From my experience, I have such an AC Adapter, when connected to USB 2.0 the transfer rate is limited to max. 25MB/s.
    So, if you have no USB 3.0 on your Laptop, may be the best option will be to replace the Internal Card.

You do not need to remove the Internal Card, you can just Disable the Adapter in Device Manager

Adalwar, Nov 26, 2016
  13. tomrhyne Win User

I thank you for all your advice. I just tried a Linksys WUSB6300 USB Adapter which I received free when I recently purchased a new AC1900 router. It not only provides better 2.4GHz reception over my internal adapter in addition to providing 5GHz reception. It is a little awkward when using with my notebook so I'm going to bite the bullet and install an Intel 7260 HMWWB.R adapter. Just reviewed a YouTube video on opening up an ASUS N56VJ notebook which I have. It will be quiet a chore but I like challenges. Again thanks for your prompt and informative replies.

tomrhyne, Nov 27, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    While you got that sucker open, replace the HDD with an SSD too!

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2016
  15. tomrhyne Win User
    Navy, I would like to do that if there were an easy straight forward way to get all the apps and data onto the SSD. Any suggestions?

tomrhyne, Nov 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Adapter - No 5 GHz Reception - Similar Threads - Atheros AR9485WB Wireless

2. Bluetooth Drivers for Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter for Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth Drivers for Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter for Windows 10 Pro: I have a Samsung NP350V5C-S0CAU Notebook which I got in 2013 and when I utilized the free Windows 10 upgrade something went very wrong so I ended up having to do a 'Restore' back to Windows 8. After the Restore it would only make it as far as Windows 8.1 and then it was...
  3. Bluetooth Drivers for Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter for Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth Drivers for Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter for Windows 10 Pro: I have a Samsung NP350V5C-S0CAU Notebook which I got in 2013 and when I utilized the free Windows 10 upgrade something went very wrong so I ended up having to do a 'Restore' back to Windows 8. After the Restore it would only make it as far as Windows 8.1 and then it was...
  4. Bluetooth Drivers for Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter for Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Qualcomm Atheros qca9377 wireless network adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Qualcomm Atheros qca9377 wireless network adapter: How do I remove this piece of sh*t off of my PC? It is currently disabled, but I want rid of it all together!I have a Acer Aspire C24-963 purchased in 2021 all in one desktop PC, running Windows 10 Pro. Every time it tries to connect to wi-fi, I get a blue screen and the...
  6. Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless adapter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless adapter: Hi, I have an Acer Aspire F15 I need to keep updating the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless adapter. Are there any fixes for this to stop this happening Thanks Andy...
  7. Quallcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter.

Quallcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter.: I am having issues with Quallcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter. I have an Acer machine and I have tried uninstalling the driver so that when I run a windows update or restart my laptop windows would reinstall the driver. Unfortunately this is not solving the...
  8. Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter needs re-setting 3 times per hour

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter needs re-setting 3 times per hour: Since the last couple of Windows updates it has been necessary to re-set Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter. Internet keeps dropping out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Microsoft dont' seem to have a clue. Thanks,...
  9. Wireless adapter qualcomm atheros issue driver

Wireless adapter qualcomm atheros issue driver: Hi, after a big research i found out that the Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Adpaters AR946XDrivers is not Compatible with Windows 10 1907,1903 and also 1809. I discovered that many people encounter this issues with internet when updating to Win10 1907, 1809 or 1903, including...
  10. Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter

Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter: My network adapter does not show up and I need to restart PC at least 10 times before it shows up so that I can connect to wireless network. How can I solve this problem?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. qualcomm atheros ar9685wb wirless adapter5ghz driver

2. asus n550jv ac wifi card compatibility to replace ar9485wb-eg wireless card

3. qualcomm atheros ar9485wb-eg 5ghz

4. Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless no 5 GHZ,
  5. my computer needs a driverupdate atheros ar9485wb-eg wireless network adapter,
  6. Ahteros AR956x wireless adapter version 3.0.2.182