Windows 10: Attacked by Tech Support Scam Pop-Up Today (01-18-2018)

Discus and support Attacked by Tech Support Scam Pop-Up Today (01-18-2018) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Today, at about 4:30 pm EST, I was hit by a Pop-Up Tech Support Scam. I couldn't close it out, but I could still use Windows Defender. I ran the Quick... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Writer, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Writer Win User

Attacked by Tech Support Scam Pop-Up Today (01-18-2018)

Today, at about 4:30 pm EST, I was hit by a Pop-Up Tech Support Scam. I couldn't close it out, but I could still use Windows Defender. I ran the Quick Scan (It only took about 3 minutes.), and it showed No Threats.

I then immediately ran the Full Scan -- it took one hour and 35 minutes. It detected the following:

SupportScam:JS/TechBrolo.F

I had Windows Defender delete it. I then reported the Scam to Microsoft.

The Pop-Up was accompanied by a male voice that ran on a loop for one minute, informing me to call an 800 number.

:)

Writer, Jan 18, 2018

2. Security virus in my computer

That's a fake alert/warning pop up, usually with a phone number to call. It's a so called Tech Support Scam.

It does not necessarily mean that your computer is infected and those pop ups are in general easy to close.

What really helps is the use of a good browser together with a good advertisment etc blocker.

Personally I use Firefox and uBlock Origin.

Suggestion to read:

Jsssssssss, Jan 18, 2018
  3. Bruce Hagen, Jan 18, 2018
  4. Bat 1 Win User

Are you running the Tampermonkey extension on Edge ? If not, you should install it.

Bat 1, Jan 18, 2018
  5. Writer Win User
    @Brink @Ztruker @dmholt57 @Samuria @zbook @Word Man

I had never heard of Tampermonkey. I went to the website below, and it says that it's Free; however, it doesn't say anything about it being an Anti-Virus or a type of detector. How would it help to stop Tech Support Scams?

Does anyone else have an opinion on Tampermonkey?

Your request appears to be from an automated process

This is what the Website says about Tampermonkey:

Writer, Jan 18, 2018
  6. Bat 1 Win User
    It's a Script blocker that will prevent what happened

Bat 1, Jan 18, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    zbook, Jan 18, 2018
  8. Bat 1 Win User

OP could pin Task Manager on his taskbar and then when popups like this happen again, just launch Task Manager and exit Edge. The rouge JScript will be in a Temp file and CCleaning would also take it out.

Bat 1, Jan 18, 2018
  9. Writer Win User
    @zbook @Bat 1

Tampermonkey - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

As you guys can understand, I am skeptical about additional downloads. The website above states that I would need Google Chrome to install most apps, extensions, and themes. I'll wait and see if some others weigh in on this before I make a decision to download.

Bat 1's suggestion, below, sounds like a good alternative.

I'll check this thread first thing tomorrow morning.

Writer, Jan 18, 2018
  10. zbook New Member
    zbook, Jan 18, 2018
  11. Bat 1 Win User
    If You click on the icon all the way to the right on Egde then extensions You'll see you download Tampermonkey from the Microsoft Store. There are also other extensions like AdblockPlus listed there too. I go to a lot of less-than-reputable websites so I also run Malwarebytes Premium. You might want to consider gifting a subscription to Malwarebytes to your brother *Smile

Bat 1, Jan 18, 2018
  12. Jeddie Win User
    Jeddie, Jan 18, 2018
  13. Steve C Win User

Is Chrome susceptible to this exploit?

Steve C, Jan 18, 2018
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks
    @Writer particularly

I've suggested what to do in these situations before but I'll repeat. It assumes you have a decent clean backup of your OS -- if you haven't then you need to start taking them.

1) SWITCH OFF COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY -- power off -- do not close windows or anything - simply POWER the machine off and REMOVE any external devices e.g external USB HDD's etc.

2) Disconnect from Internet (and LAN if you are on a Network).

3) Boot recovery program / restore program and delete current partitions -- if you have a stand alone partitioning program you can re-format HDD if you want - usually not necessary if using things like Macrium to restore as Macrium will delete target HDD partitions for the restore.

4) Boot restored computer -- DO NOT CONNECT TO INTERNET JUST YET

5) Test machine

6) if OK connect to Internet and connect any other devices.

7) If NOK then clean windows install is your only option.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have OS backups --with FREE MACRIUM there is NO EXCUSE not to have any.

I've posted on this ad Nauseam -- seems some people will never learn.

This method will work far faster than using any "Cleansing" or scanning software -- for starters I don't want to use an infected machine for a microsecond longer than necessary, and none of those "cleansing programs" which themselves may have been compromised by the hack can guarantee 100% that the problem is solved.

It's like someone saying a plane has a serious defect but can you fly it and repair it while it's in the air. !!! No thanks - I'll fix it on the ground !!!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 18, 2018
  15. simrick Win User
    Guys, this is a standard online scam. All you do is disconnect from the internet, close the browser using Task Manager, then clean out the browser using Ccleaner. Run ADWCleaner to be sure there's nothing leftover, and problem solved. *Smile

simrick, Jan 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Attacked by Tech Support Scam Pop-Up Today (01-18-2018) - Similar Threads - Attacked Tech Support

2. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  3. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  4. Tech support scam popup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Tech support scam popup: A tech support scam page just popped up as I was online, claiming it is my Windows Defender Security Center. WHAT do I do now? How to get rid of it and keep my computer safe? I have not touched anything on the screen/page since it popped up. And I have few technical computer...
  5. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: I fell for a tech support scam a long time ago and the refund overpayment scam I got my money back for the refund scam and now ever since December 2019, they have been ringing me non-stop. Tried blocking the numbers nut they always ring back on different numbers. Any advice?...
  6. tech support scams

tech support scams: What if someone did give remote access to one of these tech support scams? What can they expect and what do they do about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/tech-support-scams/6cf84899-3796-4dda-a0d6-d9f1eaad6b41
  7. Tech support scam?

Tech support scam?: Hello everyone. I have received 3 calls this morning from an uknown number. On the first 2 after hearing "hello" i hung up. I live in Greece and thought that it was a mistake. They called a third time in which i talked to them. They told me that they were calling from...
  8. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: Hello, I received a call which turns out to be the Www.support.me scam I suspected it was something bogus but played along (making him repeat everything a number o times) until reaching the point where he wanted me to connect to www.support.me. At which point he got...
  9. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: Is myphonesupport a scam? Or are they parteners with microsoft? Made no payments to them and did not allow remote connection. Just want to make sure I talked to safe people....
  10. Teaming up in the war on tech support scams

in Windows 10 News
    Teaming up in the war on tech support scams: I send every call from a number I don't recognize to voice mail. Scammers almost never leave messages.