Windows 10: 'Attempted switch from DPC' error after latest major update

Discus and support 'Attempted switch from DPC' error after latest major update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I started getting this error and BSOD after the last major update (Anniversary update?). My PC starts fine and is OK for hours, then suddenly falls... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by tallonius, Oct 12, 2016.

1. tallonius Win User

'Attempted switch from DPC' error after latest major update

I started getting this error and BSOD after the last major update (Anniversary update?). My PC starts fine and is OK for hours, then suddenly falls over. It never did this before the update.

I have updated all my drivers and also run a scan and repair on the registry using the Registry utility in Advanced System Care, but it's still happening.

What else can I do without just rolling back to a restore point (which would presumably just try to update itself again...)

Thanks,

:)

tallonius, Oct 12, 2016
  2. HBake Win User

BSOD error: Attempted switch from dpc

My computer blue screens multiple times a day with attempted switch from dpc.

Here are my Dmp files, could you take a look at what's causing the crashes?

minidump

Thanks a lot for you help!

HBake, Oct 12, 2016
  3. BSOD error: Attempted switch from dpc

These crashes were related to memory corruption (probably caused by a driver).

Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem. Please run verifier first. You do not need to run memtest yet unless verifier does not find the cause, or you want to.

If you are over-clocking anything reset to default before running these tests.

In other words STOP!!! If you do not know what this means you probably are not

1-Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/driver-verifier-tracking-down-a-mis-behaving/f5cb4faf-556b-4b6d-95b3-c48669e4c983

2-Memtest. (You can read more about running memtest here)

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/bsod-memory-problems-test-easily-and-completely/21c3f63f-f570-4522-b2ef-ecc7b7ff6461

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 12, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Please read How to upload files

I would highly recommend to remove IObit software, it is known for causing many issues and isn't trustworthy.

5. tallonius Win User
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply - I've now uploaded the system info file as per BSOD posting instructions - apologies for not doing that earlier.

I'm surprised you say that about IOBit software - I've used Advanced System Care for years without ever having a problem - and my PC has always been very stable until this last major Windows update...

Because I use my PC for my work I've had to just work on with the problem whilst I've been busy, but since then I've had a succession of additional, different, errors:

KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
    On one occassion I saw it said on screen that ncis.sys had failed - can I delete this file? - but I haven't seen it sinceDRIVER VERIFICATION DETECTION VIOLATION
    This was after I ran the driver verifier

WINDOWS COULDN'T LOAD CORRECTLY
    I managed to get Windows to load after re-booting

One thing I have noticed throughout the many BSOD's - it seems to happen most often when I not using the PC - might that be a factor? (I have all my monitors/drives etc on all the time - i.e. I don't use any 'eco'/save power settings that I'm aware of)

thanks,
    David

tallonius, Nov 16, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    IObit software is garbage, known for causing BSODs for various reasons including BSOD boot loops because of the buggy advanced systemcare and driver update program.
    It is a too high risk to leave it unattended!

For every program IObit makes, you can get better results by doing it in another way or for some things not doing it at all because it messes up the system too much.

axe0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 'Attempted switch from DPC' error after latest major update - Similar Threads - 'Attempted switch DPC'

2. attempted switch from dpc error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    attempted switch from dpc error: Hi, I'm having frequent attempted switch from dpc bsodMy setup:Ryzen 5 3600Gigabyte 3060ti4x 8GB DDR4 3000mhz ramB450 MSI Tomahawk I tried fixing it myself, this is what I did in order:Reinstall WindowsUse only a stick of ramChange GPU from a 3060ti gainward from this new...
  3. attempted switch from dpc error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    attempted switch from dpc error: Hi, I'm having frequent attempted switch from dpc bsodMy setup:Ryzen 5 3600Gigabyte 3060ti4x 8GB DDR4 3000mhz ramB450 MSI Tomahawk I tried fixing it myself, this is what I did in order:Reinstall WindowsUse only a stick of ramChange GPU from a 3060ti gainward from this new...
  4. BSOD "Attempted Switch From DPC"

BSOD "Attempted Switch From DPC": Hello,Today I've experienced a bluescreen while using my computer. I was informed by my system that the BSOD was a result of "Attempted Switch From DPC", and I've been looking up guides and people with similar problems on here in an attempt to remedy the problem. According to...
  5. Attempted Switch from DPC BlueScreen

Attempted Switch from DPC BlueScreen: I was browsing online when suddenly my PC ran into a BSOD with the error message, "ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC". My windows and all my drivers are up to date. Here's the minidump file. Thanks:https://mega.nz/file/4VJWhZCI#ipkwVlhTQxl9eh-snJ-OOxWFN9S6jFMpUUME5N3JL3c...
  6. Attempted switch from DPC - BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Attempted switch from DPC - BSOD: Hey guys, Could someone help me analyze the potential source of this? It happened to me first time today when I booted up from sleep mode. When I debugged through WinDBG it said: "Cannot read PEB32 from WOW64 TEB32 0091f000 - Win32 error 0n30" 183316
  7. BDOD Error: Attempted switch from DPC

BDOD Error: Attempted switch from DPC: This has been happening for a while, I tried updating all to my knowledge my drivers manually as I read it might fix it but it didn't work, I also reset my PC with the windows 10 option Reset PC but it still persists, happens once a day~. This is what I got from the latest...
  8. ATTEMPTED SWITCH FROM DPC BSOD error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ATTEMPTED SWITCH FROM DPC BSOD error: I keep getting the ATTEMPTED SWITCH FROM DPC ERROR when trying to install windows update KB4549951 and KB4550945. This is the MEMORY.DMP file that I have pasted below. I'm looking for the solution to this problem 0: kd> !analyze...
  9. ATTEMPTED SWITCH FROM DPC BSOD

ATTEMPTED SWITCH FROM DPC BSOD: Hi folks, This is a desktop with a MSI motherboard with an i9 9900 running Windows 10 Pro 64. After much fussing around, I thought I had found the source of my problem, and blamed bad ram. After switching it out, the machine ran for days. This morning, a BSOD with the...
  10. Attempt to switch from DPC

Attempt to switch from DPC: My computer is getting crashed and getting blue screen. I am getting the following error message 'Attempt to switch to DPC' Attached log files. Kindly help me in resolving this issue. 67043